When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Have a hybrid car now, and I think I prefer this much over going full BEV. I'll wait till infrastructure is there and solid state batteries.

I've been thinking about a hybrid when my e-tron goes back. Spending £50-£60k on a model 3 or y when the 4680 models are what? 2yrs away maybe, doesn't sit right with me. Nobody really knows, but I think maybe a hybrid for a couple of years and then see where the markets at.

Don't mind spending the money, but I really want a reliable 400 mile range. That would be perfect for me, and I'd be happy keeping it for years and years.

I did consider a kona as they do around 300, but even at 300, there are journeys I do which could potentially annoy me depending on who using the chargers (if they are working of course). That extra 100 miles means a lot. There are literally no journeys I do then where I would even need to stop :D

Still may end up getting a kona, and then a tesla.

Soldato
Can you not extend the e-tron lease, or does it not fit your needs anymore? Didn't they just unlock an extra 15-20 miles on the battery as well in software?

Yeah that's one option I'll look into. It's not up till next September anyway, so who knows by then.

Thing is, I only got the etron because it was cheap. I have a feeling I might be doing a lot more miles next year, so it might well be that the etron is not ideal.

It's also, not very good. I'd be spitting feathers if I'd have bought it myself. Bloody good for the money I'm paying though :p

Soldato
Torque steer on any moderate or higher acceleration was horrendous and not in an endearing way like the early JCWs did.
hmm .. looks like mini electric doesn't have special electric power steering to counteract torque steer as 128ti , also fixing m135i problem, does have same ARB traction control as rwd i3s though
( .... drove the kona and I loved it, but it couldn’t hold a candle to this MINI in terms of driving pleasure and handling. Even though it has a bit more power. The main issue was the lack of traction on the front axle whenever you push the acceleration pedal a bit harder.
The instant electric torque of an electric vehicle can easily overwhelm an axle so you do need clever solutions to keep that in check. This is where ARB steps in and it does a great job at offering you plenty of traction without cutting in rudely.)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I see the Tesla have officially started opening up the Supercharger network to non-Tesla vehicles here in Europe, Dutch pricing only so far, it is ~€13pm month subscription with a 24c per kWh rate, or ~57c kWh without a subscription.

Wonder how long it wil be be until they open the firs tones up in the UK?
Christ, this gives me goosebumps :(

Having a dedicated stall to pull in to without someone in a Zoe faffing about is a bonus. Seriously, I pulled in to a public car park the other day and was out of the car, plugged in and going down in a lift before the couple behind me had figured out their charging app.

Soldato
My partner and I recently took up Mini on their offer of a 48-hour extended test drive of the Mini Electric. She's looking to change car and for her commute etc an electric car is perfect. She's had her eye on the current Mini for a while so it made sense to take a serious look at it.
As you mentioned - the current Mini EV is basically the ICE model with the engine swapped out for the battery power train. Mini have confirmed today there is a new Mini EV due out in 2023 with a battery-powered JCW version shortly after that.

Christ, this gives me goosebumps :(

Having a dedicated stall to pull in to without someone in a Zoe faffing about is a bonus. Seriously, I pulled in to a public car park the other day and was out of the car, plugged in and going down in a lift before the couple behind me had figured out their charging app.
Just imagine Tesla owners having to queue behind all the Leaf, Zoe and plug-in hybrids at their 'own' charging stations :D

Associate
As you mentioned - the current Mini EV is basically the ICE model with the engine swapped out for the battery power train. Mini have confirmed today there is a new Mini EV due out in 2023 with a battery-powered JCW version shortly after that.

Just imagine Tesla owners having to queue behind all the Leaf, Zoe and plug-in hybrids at their 'own' charging stations :D

Well there'd be no Leaf's as they use chademo, the only Zoe's would be the ones were someone has paid for the CCS option and I'm not even sure if hybrids even use CCS.

Soldato
It seems it’s only certain sites they have opened up so perhaps they are currently under utilised and therefore opening them up will both generate income and not impact Tesla owners.

I'm confused why they are doing this? The supercharger network is surely Tesla's major selling point over other EVs?

Their mission statement is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy so it’s fits in with that. Likewise, legislators are also looking at Tesla’s network with a view to forcing them to do it anyway. It’s probably better to make the right noises and do it on your own terms than be subject to someone else’s.

But yeh, I’d totally get a tesla owners stance if they were against this, they paid for it at the end of the day. As someone who is also looking to buy one, I’d also agree with that stance even though I know in the long term that it’s probably not a sustainable position.

To be honest, if Gridserve do what they promise, it will not likely have a huge impact. They are cheaper, faster and should be more plentiful if they actually build them. Just having Braintree and rugby isn’t enough to keep me quiet on that one though

Soldato
I'm confused why they are doing this? The supercharger network is surely Tesla's major selling point over other EVs?

Tesla took financial help from the EU to assist in the setup of the charger network. The EU then ruled as they had financial assistance, that the network should be open to all and not just their own customers

Soldato
Also interested in a source for that as far as I’m aware they’ve not had any EU funding to build the supercharger network. Unlike Ionity who most certainly did which is why I particularly dislike their pricing model. I’d take the same stance with Tesla if that was also the case. E.g. where it’s had public money to build it, it should be open to all AND priced the same for all.

I’ve seen some reports that they have taken some money from Norway and Sweden to build a couple of universal chargers in those countries but that was very recently and they are not due to open until next year. (reported here https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/te...al-superchargers-open-to-other-evs-in-europe/)

They’ve taken loads of money from Germany to build the Berlin factory but that isn’t the same thing either.

Soldato
I thought I read that legislators in Europe were insisting that at least 1 or 2 of the Tesla bays needed to allow any car to charge in them (rather than all of them)

Which may well be the case but as you’d expect, that would be the thin end of the wedge and it’s better do to do it on your own terms.

Back
Top Bottom