When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
If your car is below the set point and you have a 2kW heater it’s going to warm to set point at max power. There’s no magic ‘overboost’ etc.
Exactly, hence why some people adjust the temp. They want a few mins at hotter or colder than is usually set.
E.g. if it’s 32c outside a driver might want 10 mins set at ‘low’ to cool down quickly at a lower temp, then maintain a steady 18c for the rest of the time.

Soldato
Does anyone have any experience with a juice booster?
I ask as I'm looking to get a plug-in hybrid to replace my diesel A6 and therefore will need to charge 2 cars from the same socket and want to speed the process up.

I currently charge my i3 overnight from a 20A circuit wall socket in the garage. I use the Maximum setting if it's empty and that will draw around 12A, which is under 3kW, otherwise it's normally on the Reduced setting which draws ~9A.

If I get a Juice Booster, what sort of charge power will it produce on 12A? 7kW?
Will you really charge both cars every day? There's no way you can get 7kw from a 12A socket even if it maxes out the capacity.

12A x 240V = 2.88kw

The product just looks like a posh cable not something that can defeat physics.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I’m not in the UK but it’ll be plugged into a standard wall socket.
Will the juice booster draw more than 10-12A? It comes with the temperature sensor that will turn off it if gets too hot, etc.

Isn’t this product designed to be plugged into standard sockets to speed up granny charging, etc.?

I have no idea what an EVSE is.
This is just a very versatile mobile charger which supports up to 32A.

The picture on the front page of the site shows it adapted with a 3-phase commando socket. If you wish to use it at more than 10-12A then you will need to install a larger capacity socket. A 16A single phase commando is very easy to install onto a normal European radial circuit if you want an easy and faster socket type. <I realise that you are in Belgium, same socket type though - i work in Brussels a lot!> https://www.toolstation.com/industrial-socket-ip67/p79209

The charger looks very good and very versatile to me, they are becoming more and more common with many clones similar to that now appearing on Ali and Ebay. I think that they are a good option for many, it saves bothering with a full EVSE.

Soldato
December registration figures are out, and therefore total 2021 figures. 27,705 BEV's registered in Dec '21 and a total for the year of 190,727 up 76.3% YoY, with a total share of 11.6% of cars. PHEV's took 7.0% and ~114k.

Beat my prediction at the start of the in terms of %, and going from 108k to 190k isn't too bad considering the shortages. I'd expect it to easily pass 300k in 2022, especially now you've got so many different models in the market.

Oh, and the second best selling car of 2021? Tesla Model 3 just behind the Corsa. :)

Caporegime
Exactly, hence why some people adjust the temp. They want a few mins at hotter or colder than is usually set.
E.g. if it’s 32c outside a driver might want 10 mins set at ‘low’ to cool down quickly at a lower temp, then maintain a steady 18c for the rest of the time.
That’s how a climate control works. Wow this is like explaining the house heating to my missus. Thinking it’s cold so she turns it to 30C to warm up faster

Soldato
That’s how a climate control works. Wow this is like explaining the house heating to my missus. Thinking it’s cold so she turns it to 30C to warm up faster

I think he means that having climate control higher for a period of time warms you up quicker than if it was set lower. Which it would. i.e. Sitting in the car at 24c for a while say would warm you quicker than 21c.

You'd then you'd drop the temperature to 21c to sustain.

Same in reverse for cooling.

Caporegime
I think he means that having climate control higher for a period of time warms you up quicker than if it was set lower. Which it would. i.e. Sitting in the car at 24c for a while say would warm you quicker than 21c.

That’s not how it works. How would it warm faster ? Anyway another weird argument about how EV are ‘better’ with climate control advantages that simply don’t exist vs ICE.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

He also means (i actually took him to mean this, but i get you too) the "feeling" that you'd actually like to be briefly colder (or hotter) than normal in extreme weather. Much like standing next to the AC unit in hot weather. You don't want to be that cold for long, but its nice initially.

Personally neither my wife or I do this, the cars are just set to 19-20 year round.

Soldato

But once the car is at 24C, and then you knock it down to 21C, it'll start blowing out cool/cold air to get to the new temperature, completely defeating the purpose. :confused: Absolutely bonkers.

Soldato
But once the car is at 24C, and then you knock it down to 21C, it'll start blowing out cool/cold air to get to the new temperature, completely defeating the purpose. :confused: Absolutely bonkers.

Probably depends on car as to how extreme that would be, but yes it would.

For the record; Ours is set at 21/22 in winter and 18/19 in summer and don't faff about with it. Just trying to make sense of the previous poster.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
This is just a very versatile mobile charger which supports up to 32A.

The picture on the front page of the site shows it adapted with a 3-phase commando socket. If you wish to use it at more than 10-12A then you will need to install a larger capacity socket. A 16A single phase commando is very easy to install onto a normal European radial circuit if you want an easy and faster socket type. <I realise that you are in Belgium, same socket type though - i work in Brussels a lot!> https://www.toolstation.com/industrial-socket-ip67/p79209

The charger looks very good and very versatile to me, they are becoming more and more common with many clones similar to that now appearing on Ali and Ebay. I think that they are a good option for many, it saves bothering with a full EVSE.
Thanks, to you and the others for the explanation. I thought it had something else which could magic up more power @OllyM :p

I'll be moving to a house in the summer so will install a wall box, but this could be interesting to take on holiday and whatnot to have the range of adapters, etc. and potentially increase faster charging through an appropriate socket.

Soldato
That really is quite something

Despite the problems affecting the market as a whole, registrations of electric cars rose more than 75%, from 108,000 in 2020 to 191,000 last year.
In December, they accounted for one in every four cars sold, while the second-best selling car in the country during the year was Tesla's electric Model 3.

Soldato

He also means (i actually took him to mean this, but i get you too) the "feeling" that you'd actually like to be briefly colder (or hotter) than normal in extreme weather. Much like standing next to the AC unit in hot weather. You don't want to be that cold for long, but its nice initially.

Personally neither my wife or I do this, the cars are just set to 19-20 year round.
Warm YOU quicker.
Yay :)
Some people actually read the posts, rather than comment on what they think they read !!!

Soldato

Despite the problems affecting the market as a whole, registrations of electric cars rose more than 75%, from 108,000 in 2020 to 191,000 last year.
In December, they accounted for one in every four cars sold, while the second-best selling car in the country during the year was Tesla's electric Model 3.

Posted all this data further up but it got drowned out buy all the daft talk of climate controls.. :rolleyes:

Caporegime

Although good figures, it has being helped by the fact that people just couldn't buy new ICE cars.

We have 4 ICE cars and 6 vans on order which all should have been delivered in 2021 but are now delayed to some point in 2022. manufacturers prioritised EV cars for any available chips. And Tesla were canny enough to have paid more for their chips so never had a shortage like other manufacturers did. Mercedes have had to stop making ICE cars at all for some countries for a whole year.

Helps encourage even more people to give up on their orders and go buy an EV I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom