When are you going fully electric?

Associate
One of the main appeals to me of an EV is the simplicity of them. Hybrids are just the worst compromise, I can imagine they will rapidly become uneconomical to service over time.

I work from home (just as well as my only means of transport when the other half is out is a gas-guzzling campervan). Ideally we'd replace her car with a Zoe or Leaf or something, but as we're on a terrace, and she'd be doing over half a charge every day on her commute, we'd need to be absolutely sure we can get the car charged.

99% of the time it wouldn't be a problem, assuming we can run a cable across the pavement, or use one of the newly installed chargers in the village (5 mins walk).....but the other 1% of times, she won't be able to get to work, which is still basically a non-starter.
I agree a plug in hybrid is not a good compromise, to power trains and lots fuel/energy required. Double the trouble. I would possible go Toyota/Lexus hybrid.

I have had a look this week at the monthly’s that EV would cost me. At the moment my 11year old diesel that I own out right, will have to do.

Associate
I agree a plug in hybrid is not a good compromise, to power trains and lots fuel/energy required. Double the trouble. I would possible go Toyota/Lexus hybrid.

I have had a look this week at the monthly’s that EV would cost me. At the moment my 11year old diesel that I own out right, will have to do.

There's a good youtube on the toyota hybrid strip down here doesn't look complicated at all :p still 10yr warranty is good back up.

Not all PHEVs are that complicated some do ICE up front and EV on the rear controlled by software rather than merging it all into transmission.

But yes a car you own that is paid off is always going to be the cheapest mode of transport. Diesel still has it's place, it can't be beaten for convenience and range.

Last edited:
Associate
There's a good youtube on the toyota hybrid strip down here doesn't look complicated at all :p still 10yr warranty is good back up.

Not all PHEVs are that complicated some do ICE up front and EV on the rear controlled by software rather than merging it all into transmission.

But yes a car you own that is paid off is always going to be the cheapest mode of transport. Diesel still has it's place, it can't be beaten for convenience and range.
It’s is certainly the best financial decision under the current circumstances. I can get a couple more years out of it, if I want to.

Soldato
yes - The mechanical complexity of the phev with the motor integrated into transmission is not so complicated/costly, 'just' the management of the battery pack,
with the bigger battery pack for latest eu tax breaks, good for electric 60miles ... when will bmw update 330e battery, or Opel/stellantis ?
you can get an estate too eg. , if, you have saved £10k on the purchase price versus a bev too.

Associate
Looking for some opinions and some advice really.
So we're a household of 1 electric car (Tesla Model 3 LR) and 1 ICE car (320i). The Tesla is essentially mine and the BMW is my wife's, mainly because she tends to do a lot of miles for work and claims a decent fuel allowance to cover most of her travel. I do between 900-1200 miles a month for various things in the Tesla, to give you some idea of my mileage. Both cars are 'owned by us' but financed with low interest rate personal loans; the BMW has £10k outstanding and my Tesla has £20k outstanding.
Due to where we live, there's no mobile signal on any network at all - so we're not able to get a smart meter installed (believe the connectivity is provided by Telefonica/o2 here in South Wales). I'm currently on a fixed rate tariff of approx 20p/kwh. The deal ends in October, just in time for the next phase of price increases.
As I've got no ability to get a dual tariff rate due to no smart meter availability, my fear is that suddenly come October its going to cost me a small fortune to power both the house and the car.
Just looking for a bit of advice on what you'd do in this situation really. Do I just have to accept that its going to cost a silly amount to charge the Tesla and the running costs are now going to be high? Do I sell it and look at getting a cheap, economical ICE and pocket the difference?
Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome.

Soldato
I think you know the answer to the first question and only really you can answer the second.

Although even with the high electric cost, it’s probably still cheaper to run than ICE.

Associate
Looking for some opinions and some advice really.
So we're a household of 1 electric car (Tesla Model 3 LR) and 1 ICE car (320i). The Tesla is essentially mine and the BMW is my wife's, mainly because she tends to do a lot of miles for work and claims a decent fuel allowance to cover most of her travel. I do between 900-1200 miles a month for various things in the Tesla, to give you some idea of my mileage. Both cars are 'owned by us' but financed with low interest rate personal loans; the BMW has £10k outstanding and my Tesla has £20k outstanding.
Due to where we live, there's no mobile signal on any network at all - so we're not able to get a smart meter installed (believe the connectivity is provided by Telefonica/o2 here in South Wales). I'm currently on a fixed rate tariff of approx 20p/kwh. The deal ends in October, just in time for the next phase of price increases.
As I've got no ability to get a dual tariff rate due to no smart meter availability, my fear is that suddenly come October its going to cost me a small fortune to power both the house and the car.
Just looking for a bit of advice on what you'd do in this situation really. Do I just have to accept that its going to cost a silly amount to charge the Tesla and the running costs are now going to be high? Do I sell it and look at getting a cheap, economical ICE and pocket the difference?
Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome.

Just need to work out the running costs and pay for it in the electric, even at 50p/kw electric you'd still be looking at a ~70mpg ICE equiv running cost at current fuel prices ignoring tax and servicing savings.

Soldato
Gets 45p per mile, averages around 45mpg as mostly motorway trips so yeah it just about covers it.

Yeah getting close these days, adding up wear and tear, servicing, tyres, and all the other things it's gotta hit break even sooner rather than later. Would it not work out better claiming the 10k miles at 45p on a BEV, as the other costs will be lower and the residuals likely much higher?

Associate
Yeah getting close these days, adding up wear and tear, servicing, tyres, and all the other things it's gotta hit break even sooner rather than later. Would it not work out better claiming the 10k miles at 45p on a BEV, as the other costs will be lower and the residuals likely much higher?
They'll only pay her 5p per mile if she's in a fully electric car, which is completely bananas.

Soldato
They'll only pay her 5p per mile if she's in a fully electric car, which is completely bananas.

That is the price for a company supplied electric car, not one you own and run and claim back the mileage, she'd get the same 45p per mile as the business have nothing to do with the vehicle at all. It's the standard AMAP rates which are easy to see btw.

Caporegime
Yeh we get 45p mile regardless of fuel. Not sure how we are meant to provide a VAT fuel receipt still though. Utility bill or a charging receipt?

Soldato
My somewhat uneducated view of things is that the only reason some organisations need a VAT fuel receipt is their accounting department is lazy. There is no legitimate need for a fuel receipt to be able to claim mileage.

Source: previous employer was a medium sized company and no fuel receipts were required. Current employer is a public sector organisation with partially outsourced HR and accounts functions run by its parent public sector body, employee service in general is very much worse, and they want fuel receipts.

Soldato
That is the price for a company supplied electric car, not one you own and run and claim back the mileage, she'd get the same 45p per mile as the business have nothing to do with the vehicle at all. It's the standard AMAP rates which are easy to see btw.
Companies are not obliged to pay 45p for personal vehicles, they may well have a policy to pay less for an EV (though it would seem a bit backwards to do so) .

You can claim tax relief on the difference between what they pay and what you're entitled to if they do pay less.

Associate
Nope, they'll only pay 5p per mile, it's their policy. All done via Concur, basically when I put the reg of my car in for her claim it recalculates per their policies. Have asked the question a couple of times now and always the same response from them - its company policy. What we could do is claim tax relief on the remainder (I think) but footing the cost up-front isn't ideal.

Back
Top Bottom