When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Companies are not obliged to pay 45p for personal vehicles, they may well have a policy to pay less for an EV (though it would seem a bit backwards to do so) .

Yeah I don't know anyone who claims back under 45p per mile, regardless of the way their vehicle is powered, must be some sort of backward company.

Soldato
Yeah I don't know anyone who claims back under 45p per mile, regardless of the way their vehicle is powered, must be some sort of backward company.
I think it's quite common for people who get paid a 'Car Allowance' to not get paid 45p per mile as well, despite the vehicles being privately owned still.

It does seem odd that EVs would be singled out though to receive a lower rate, you'd expect all reimbursements to be either 45/25p or all reflecting 'company car' rates.

Soldato
Due to where we live, there's no mobile signal on any network at all - so we're not able to get a smart meter installed (believe the connectivity is provided by Telefonica/o2 here in South Wales). I'm currently on a fixed rate tariff of approx 20p/kwh. The deal ends in October, just in time for the next phase of price increases.

Have you actually asked for a smart meter install recently and been refused?

The meters in the south of the country can form a mesh to find coverage now (and they have external antennas available) - my mum lives in a fairly rural area and had a failed smart meter install a few years ago but was able to have one installed last year...

Associate
Have you actually asked for a smart meter install recently and been refused?

The meters in the south of the country can form a mesh to find coverage now (and they have external antennas available) - my mum lives in a fairly rural area and had a failed smart meter install a few years ago but was able to have one installed last year...
Of course. The whole village has no mobile signal and its rural so there's no mesh to form unfortunately. I've been onto my MP to get a signal booster installed in the village (it was proposed when a new school was built but never happened) but he's not particularly interested.

Soldato
I think it's quite common for people who get paid a 'Car Allowance' to not get paid 45p per mile as well, despite the vehicles being privately owned still.

It does seem odd that EVs would be singled out though to receive a lower rate, you'd expect all reimbursements to be either 45/25p or all reflecting 'company car' rates.

Seems they aren't even being paid a company car allowance, so therefore it makes even less sense to not receive the same rate. I'd go so far as to claim it is discriminatory against people trying to improve their environmental impact, and penalising them for doing so makes the company look like they don't actually care. Let's hope they don't work for some one who has a website with carbon off setting rubbish on there. :cry:

Associate
Seems they aren't even being paid a company car allowance, so therefore it makes even less sense to not receive the same rate. I'd go so far as to claim it is discriminatory against people trying to improve their environmental impact, and penalising them for doing so makes the company look like they don't actually care. Let's hope they don't work for some one who has a website with carbon off setting rubbish on there. :cry:
Irony is that they’re meant to be a forward-thinking tech company and they’ve got a number of dumb policies. If my wife wasn’t paid very well no doubt she’d be working elsewhere.

Soldato
Irony is that they’re meant to be a forward-thinking tech company and they’ve got a number of dumb policies. If my wife wasn’t paid very well no doubt she’d be working elsewhere.

I know the sort, my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, but there are lots of companies who want to appear better but if anything are the worse. Reminds me of a magician, distract you with one hand while the other carries out the actual trick hoping you don't notice.

Soldato
Just over 14 hours of ownership of this beast. What a pleasure it is to drive! None of the jerky characteristics of an early morning cold start ICE car; just sheer driving pleasure. Perfect for small journeys. Disappointing that the range isn't adequate to do a long family trip (and back) but seriously impressed for small journeys. Annoyingly it doesn't have Sat Nav, not that I'd use it for navigation anyway, but it's often useful to have the map up.

PVlsK7w.jpeg

Edit: also whoever designed the reversing camera/graphics/low-res image/overly complicated "aids" needs shooting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just over 14 hours of ownership of this beast. What a pleasure it is to drive! None of the jerky characteristics of an early morning cold start ICE car; just sheer driving pleasure. Perfect for small journeys. Disappointing that the range isn't adequate to do a long family trip (and back) but seriously impressed for small journeys. Annoyingly it doesn't have Sat Nav, not that I'd use it for navigation anyway, but it's often useful to have the map up.

PVlsK7w.jpeg

Edit: also whoever designed the reversing camera/graphics/low-res image/overly complicated "aids" needs shooting.
What’s the range on it. Should be about to do 2-3h driving before needing a charge /break

Soldato
What’s the range on it. Should be about to do 2-3h driving before needing a charge /break
It was delivered showing 200ish miles. I think it states 214odd on the website. The issue is how to charge on the other sides as I typically drive up on a Friday afternoon and back on a Sunday, with full time childcare in between. Unless I fund a charger for my mom/in-laws houses.

Soldato
Typical range on my e208 is more like 150 miles if you go near an A road or Motorway

You could achieve 200 miles of slow pootling in summer I guess...

Surprised yours has no sat nav (ours is a GT so maybe it's an option lower down the range) but it has Android Auto and Carplay right?

Soldato
Typical range on my e208 is more like 150 miles if you go near an A road or Motorway

You could achieve 200 miles of slow pootling in summer I guess...

Surprised yours has no sat nav (ours is a GT so maybe it's an option lower down the range) but it has Android Auto and Carplay right?
Yeah apparently the GT gets the bigger touchscreen (although the same screen space as you have permanent heater controls?) and sat nav built in. It does have android auto though, you're right.

3 pin plug will top it off over 24 hours :)
Annoyingly not included but if that's right, then brill!

Back
Top Bottom