When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
Hydrogen absolutely has its place, for example, in heavy plant where there isn’t a readily available electric supply like road building.

But for passenger cars which on average spend 90% of their lives parked within meters of an electric supply, it just makes zero sense (that’s not to say somethings don’t need to be built to tap into said electric supply, but it doesn’t change the fact it’s already there).

Since when? The electricity transmission network already exists and we are building huge interconnects across the sea to every neighbouring country to import and export electricity.

Hydrogen is easier to store, that’s its main advantage but it comes at a 6X efficiency loss.
Think bigger than the U.K. !

Soldato
Think bigger than the U.K. !

I am, what makes you think the U.K. is going to be a hydrogen powerhouse for export? The last thing we want to be doing is going back to importing huge amounts of our energy, it’s a massive drain on the economy.

In reality we can barely produce enough energy for our own domestic demand for electricity and it’s going to get seriously tight over the next few years as fossil and nuclear plants get decommissioned and their replacements are nowhere near ready.

When you compare that to places like China who installed the entire U.K. generation capacity just in solar in the last year, we just can’t compete on that level of scale.

Even our off shore wind is being hampered by slow decision making and NIMBYs who don’t want the electricity cables buried in fields near their houses, there not even on pylons!

The crux of it is that we are just not going to have the capacity to do it on top of our own energy demands. Even if we had some spare capacity, we can never compete with countries like China or the USA who could deploy solar over their vast planes of cheap empty space at a scale we can only dream of. Solar is also cheaper than wind.

Soldato
I am, what makes you think the U.K. is going to be a hydrogen powerhouse for export? The last thing we want to be doing is going back to importing huge amounts of our energy, it’s a massive drain on the economy.

Two points on that quote above.

Whats makes your “thinking” any more credible

Are we the Goldilocks energy system; just enough to consume, not export and nor import?

Soldato
Two points on that quote above.

Whats makes your “thinking” any more credible

Are we the Goldilocks energy system; just enough to consume, not export and nor import?

Well right now we import huge amounts of the energy we consume, mostly in the form of fossil fuels but typically we also import electricity from France (yes I know that has flipped recently due to having an abundance of gas so we are exporting it in the form of electricity but that isn’t typical).

Soldato
I doubt the Astra will be affordable. Corsa e and Mokka E are £30k+.
does seem a mystery where they can put the additional batteries for the full electric astra version,
teslam3/renault e-tech (maybe new audi ppe architecture) are managing to keep a low profile aero saloon architecture ,
but otherwise the expense of foot garages(taycan/i4/polestar),and 'flatter' battery profiles is adding to cost (cooling/wiring/structural integrity)
.. so maybe have to resign myself to an SUV.

Soldato
Yet you appear to be out of touch with reality as usual. They were under £20k in 2019/early 2020. Guess what happens during a new car shortage? Plus they do not start at over £30k…

Seen the price for a decent spec new Fiesta these days? Over £22k, not exactly ‘cheap’ (for a new car) motoring anymore.

Last edited:
Permabanned
We had a "top of the range" Astra for a couple of years that was £24k new. Was actually quite a good little car. So 30k for a EV version, if it has comparable spec, isnt that bad imo.

Vauxhall do produce some ok cars.

Soldato
Well a new bottom of the range Astra is now £24k, top of the range is £30k and if you want the PHEV, it’s £32k-£35k.

I can’t see the BEV being cheaper than the PHEV.

Soldato
I've been very happy with my 2016 top spec Astra, bought in 2017 for £15k.

I'd have the EV version next, but I don't know if I can bring myself to pay £35k for a car, I work from home now (so the car isn't needed for work) and it's more than stamp duty (so I could relocate near shops etc so wouldn't need it for that either).

Associate
Prices do seem silly for cars, a Niro EV is £42k (top spec admittedly) I mean come on, its still an entry level car. But that's inflation and all the QE that was propping up the economy helping to devalue the pound and salaries not going up at the same rate as everything else, the days of the £15k hot hatch are well and truly gone.

Can you even buy a new car for that now?

Soldato
Yet you appear to be out of touch with reality as usual. They were under £20k in 2019/early 2020. Guess what happens during a new car shortage? Plus they do not start at over £30k.

We’re talking specifically about the electric version that started at £26,490 (taking into account the grant at that time) in April 2020 (https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxh...xhall-corsa-e-to-start-from-just-over-26k?amp).

They’re still starting at £27 according to this page: https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/cars/corsa/electric.html. However, if you click ‘build & price’ your options are a starting point of £28,555 - granted, it’s not quite £30k - or £31,160 (top of the range model).

Soldato
We’re talking specifically about the electric version that started at £26,490 (taking into account the grant at that time) in April 2020 (https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxh...xhall-corsa-e-to-start-from-just-over-26k?amp).

They’re still starting at £27 according to this page: https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/cars/corsa/electric.html. However, if you click ‘build & price’ your options are a starting point of £28,555 - granted, it’s not quite £30k - or £31,160 (top of the range model).
So am I. You need to remember that before covid, cars were regularly discounted.

Just before the great car apocalypse, Vauxhall had a load of Corsa-E’s to sell quickly and you could buy a new pre-registered Corsa-E with delivery miles for under £20k. They were all over autrader, in stock, ready to drive away.

Back then you could get a new ICE Corsa for £15k, well below RRP. Not a chance now.

Soldato
Just do an Autotrader search by "Brand New" and don't select any make or model. Cheapest car is a Kia Picanto at £11k, £15k will get you a Fiat 500 or Toyota Aygo X, and £18-£20k will get you a base spec Polo, Fiesta, Corsa or MG ZS etc. Pretty easy to see car prices are up from the recent past, doubt they'll ever really go back down for a good while.

Caporegime
Thinking about switching to an EV and just looking what I can get through work.

Polestar 2 SM Standard seems like the obvious choice?

tL6Orq.png

Soldato
Thinking about switching to an EV and just looking what I can get through work.

Polestar 2 SM Standard seems like the obvious choice?

tL6Orq.png

Need to understand your range and charging requirements before recommending anything!
Best value will be any of the MG’s.

Back
Top Bottom