When are you going fully electric?

Will make no difference to the vehicle, its got 8yrs warranty, just buy it drive it how you like and never think about it again, if anything, it is more advantageous to fail just before the warrenty ends than after. :D
Like the dealerships won’t pull the “According to your vehicle’s battery usage data log, you haven’t been following the Recommended Usage as described on page 1,273 of the User Guide and hence your battery warranty is void. Thank you for visiting P.K. Dick’s Electric Dream Vehicles and have a nice day.” stunt on this.

Wording of warranty is important and everyone buying an EV (anything to be honest) to keep for long term should read and understand these, anything recommended would not a requirement.

Last edited:
Like the dealerships won’t pull the “According to your vehicle’s battery usage data log, you haven’t been following the Recommended Usage as described on page 1,273 of the User Guide and hence your battery warranty is void. Thank you for visiting P.K. Dick’s Electric Dream Vehicles and have a nice day.” stunt on this.

The warranty level is set low enough that short of an actual failure, you’ll never wear it out within the time and milage condition of said warranty. They are not that silly. They also have top and bottom buffers as well that you don’t even see.

Most are 70-80% after 8 years/100k miles. You could rapid charge it to 100% daily and you’ll probably not meet the freehold. However, look after it and it will be in the 90%+.

Last edited:
With Tesla doesn't look like the layman can pull a battery charging report from the car via an OBD connection, but, if 2nd/3rd hand customers want some kind of additional assurance of how the car has been charged and its useable
capacity, then I'm sure the market will respond, or maybe a diligent test-drive , like bjorn's testing.
bmw on i3 has already had some criticism that they can apparently rejuvinate batteries, where capacity is restored, but controversially the low tank buffer is increased, so range projected cannot be practically achieved.

With Tesla doesn't look like the layman can pull a battery charging report from the car via an OBD connection,

You can with an adapter, a Bluetooth OBD reader and a free app on your phone. Whether a dealer lets you is a different question. It’s not difficult at all to get though.
bmw on i3 has already had some criticism that they can apparently rejuvinate batteries, where capacity is restored, but controversially the low tank buffer is increased, so range projected cannot be practically achieved.

Which is pretty much what most manufacturers do who have a big top/bottom buffer, they use it to hide the degradation.

There is no such thing as rejuvenating batteries, once degradation has happened taken effect, it’s irreversible.

Yes, the BMS can get out of calibration and recalibrating can appear to give range back (can also work the other way as well), but that range was never really lost on the first place.

Ah sorry mate, missed that. What will happen to all the "smart features" then, given that it's all closed sourced? This is what worries me about buying/investin 1-1.6k in an installation... What is the guarantee that these comps stick around for the next 3-4 years?
Good news the chick that founded that bust company now has a new company selling......expensive car chargers.

You can with an adapter, a Bluetooth OBD reader and a free app on your phone. Whether a dealer lets you is a different question. It’s not difficult at all to get though.
had seemed like it's just the last 31days, not the lifetime history, but,
tesla may have more data up their sleeve ... well - they need to get battery statistics for their own R&D, maybe data protection protects the owners ? all manufacturers really need this kind of data.
(albeit the number of additional Dell Lion laptop batteries work have had to buy, plus people throwing away mobile phones, all because sensible battery management has not been implemented, has helped their profits)

had seemed like it's just the last 31days, not the lifetime history, but,
tesla may have more data up their sleeve ... well - they need to get battery statistics for their own R&D, maybe data protection protects the owners ? all manufacturers really need this kind of data.
(albeit the number of additional Dell Lion laptop batteries work have had to buy, plus people throwing away mobile phones, all because sensible battery management has not been implemented, has helped their profits)

The 30 days charge stats are via the tesla app.

I’m talking about using an OBD reader and the ‘scan my tesla app’ to can read the full BMS information including lifetime AC and DC charging, total KW used, nominal full pack amount and actual full pack amount etc etc.

It’s no different to using Leaf Spy on a Leaf or the one that rears Hyundai etc. But like I said, good luck getting a dealer to allow you do spend the time doing it.

Wife finally got her company car after a short 14 month wait from ordering... Not fully electric but Mercedes Cla 250e.

Question is had a zappi put in back in March prior to the grants ending so finally getting to use it but can only get 4.5kwh out of it. Obviously as its only a small battery it's not a major issue really but I'm wondering why it won't charge at 7kwh or if I've missed something. Gone through settings and it's at 31.8a and the car is set at max charge rate. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues.

Wife finally got her company car after a short 14 month wait from ordering... Not fully electric but Mercedes Cla 250e.

Question is had a zappi put in back in March prior to the grants ending so finally getting to use it but can only get 4.5kwh out of it. Obviously as its only a small battery it's not a major issue really but I'm wondering why it won't charge at 7kwh or if I've missed something. Gone through settings and it's at 31.8a and the car is set at max charge rate. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues.
How much charge does the car have? They taper off if they are above 70% IIRC

Have you got solar and is it set to solar charge only? A classic installation error is putting on the CT clamp the wrong way round that can impact this.

Check if you/it have any grid limits E.g. 60a fuse? It could be throttling back due to how much you are pulling from the house.

My friends son has a Tesla model Y and we borrowed it yesterday. We were doing a 308 mile round trip (154 miles each way) with four adults and no luggage.

He picked me up with a full charge, after ninety miles we stopped for breakfast and it had dropped to 51% charge. The services had no Tesla superchargers and the "fast" chargers they had were all in use so he plugged it in to a non fast charger. By the time we'd finished breakfast (we were deliberately slow), it had only charged to 82%. We continued our journey and on the return trip, the sat nav wanted to divert us via the superchargers at the M11 Stortford junction because it was predicting we couldn't complete our journey and was showing -12% in red.

We stopped at the same place on the way home, managed to get one of the faster chargers and it topped up to 90% so we managed the journey back with no issues.

We do this trip once a year, we normally stop for a quick break on the way up and don't stop on the way back. As a result of taking the Tesla, it took longer to get there, longer to get home and there was a mild case of range anxiety. The car was in normal mode, not sporty or anything fancy like that, it was driven to the speed limit and very rarely booted hard.

I believe the estimated range is 270 miles on a charge. I appreciate that's under ideal conditions but we'd have been lucky to get 180 miles on a charge. That's still pretty poor, isn't it?

My friends son has a Tesla model Y and we borrowed it yesterday. We were doing a 308 mile round trip (154 miles each way) with four adults and no luggage.

He picked me up with a full charge, after ninety miles we stopped for breakfast and it had dropped to 51% charge. The services had no Tesla superchargers and the "fast" chargers they had were all in use so he plugged it in to a non fast charger. By the time we'd finished breakfast (we were deliberately slow), it had only charged to 82%. We continued our journey and on the return trip, the sat nav wanted to divert us via the superchargers at the M11 Stortford junction because it was predicting we couldn't complete our journey and was showing -12% in red.

We stopped at the same place on the way home, managed to get one of the faster chargers and it topped up to 90% so we managed the journey back with no issues.

We do this trip once a year, we normally stop for a quick break on the way up and don't stop on the way back. As a result of taking the Tesla, it took longer to get there, longer to get home and there was a mild case of range anxiety. The car was in normal mode, not sporty or anything fancy like that, it was driven to the speed limit and very rarely booted hard.

I believe the estimated range is 270 miles on a charge. I appreciate that's under ideal conditions but we'd have been lucky to get 180 miles on a charge. That's still pretty poor, isn't it?

On a full charge our will show 320 mile range, I've done about 250 in a journey (2 adults + child) up to Manchester from the south and was probably in single digit figure of remaining charge. 180miles does seem poor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom