When are you going fully electric?

If it’s a standard range model y? If so 180 miles range isn’t that’s far out of expectation if it’s not being driven particularly economically. If your not used to driving a BEV then your probably not getting the most out of it.

If it’s the long range dual motor, you’d have to be driving it pretty hard to only get 180 miles out of it.

I have a standard range model 3 and I did around 220 miles today with 3 stops and got back with 14%. Driven to the speed limit the whole way. Yeh, I’ll get more out of it than a model Y, but it’s not that much more.

The tesla nav only sends you to their own chargers, great if they are en-route, not so much if not. There are plenty of other decent sites out there once you get to know where they are.

There are no standard range Model Y's in the UK at the moment. Only LR Model Y. (Dual Motor) - Performance Models are due next around end of the year. No ETA on standard range Y's in the UK.

180 Miles on Y seems extremely low unless he was driving very quickly.....

I've got 280 from 100% to 11% on mine motorway driving etc - No problem. So in theory around 300 would be doable in summer time - range drops around 10% in winter time due to wind/rain/cold etc - But should still easy get 250 miles out of it.

It says Dual Motor on the back and it wasn't being driven hard.

By driven hard, I don’t mean ploughing down the motorway 90mph but more like using most/all of the acceleration available when you get the opportunity and using the brakes over regen.

for example on the journey I mentioned yesterday, I used the brake pedal once when someone pulled out in front of me. Everything else was all regen.

you actually have that data, or you are speculating ... I've just seen bjorn with an obd reader that shows current/dynamic battery & motor characteristics,
but, even, applications like teslafi, apparently won't give historic data, say, from a previous owner.
Without meaning to repeat myself but yes. Scan my Tesla gives you the current state of heath for the battery (E.g. current max capacity vs. design capacity) and a cumulative AC and DC charge amounts for the battery pack.

You could in theory plug in an OBD reader into a car on a dealers lot and check if it’s spent it’s life on a rapid charger, but like I said, good luck with that.

Noobies will never get decent range on a first drive out... well unless you are my wife and consistantly gets more :p

Well yes, setting aside the wanting to launch it from a standstill every time, using regen down to a stop is just a bit different to compared to how most people drive an ICE car.

Last edited:
Just had a semi-lol call with EON Next. I had a sparks around to quote for a new consumer unit and car charger - he said I needed an isolator and an upgraded fuse. He said they should be free of charge but a quick Google says this is highly unlikely.

He then came back and said "they can do it for free" because he would bill the £98 (not bad IMO) fee to my credit balance on the account :cry:

I can see why people get into a mess with utilities...

By driven hard, I don’t mean ploughing down the motorway 90mph but more like using most/all of the acceleration available when you get the opportunity and using the brakes over regen.

for example on the journey I mentioned yesterday, I used the brake pedal once when someone pulled out in front of me. Everything else was all regen.
This could be it.

after ninety miles we stopped for breakfast and it had dropped to 51% charge.

I think managing to achieve such poor range from 49% of the battery, in not abysmal weather must be some sort of record, those figures there are what you'd see on a fat E-tron or an iPace, being driven at the speed limit.

The services had no Tesla superchargers and the "fast" chargers they had were all in use so he plugged it in to a non fast charger.

What was a non-fast charger? Which services was this?

Last edited:
So had an email back form Ohme regarding installation in the UK - sounds reasonable enough with Zen's OLEV grant of 350.
I've had the following email back from them

From September 27th, 2022, new electrical circuits must have Surge Protection Devices (SPDs) fitted unless the customer chooses not to have them. The installation of your charger involves installing a new circuit, so you need to decide if you want an SPD to be installed.

If you decide not to have an SPD fitted, this form is a record of that decision to help us prove that the installation is compliant with this requirement.

I think the SPD is an additional £50. Any reason to opt out?

Cambridge on the A14, there are some fast chargers that were all in use on the way up so we had to go to the other bank, that only gave 25kw. On the way home, we got one of the faster ones and it was reasonably quick.
A14 and the southern section of the M11/A11 is pretty poor for chargers, they are there but just not in the volumes needed.

Cambridge services is very under served. Ionity is fast but every time I have stopped there they have been full and the slower gridserve units are normally in use as they have historically been cheaper. That said you should be getting more than 25kw from them, more like 45kw.

There are only 4 old style super chargers at Birchanger services on the M11 and a couple slow gridserve units. Also naff.

There is a large Tesla site just off the M11 on the south side of Cambridge but there are few facilities.

If you head up the A14 to the midlands, the next decent rapid chargers are not until Rugby assuming they are now fixed… apparently only 4 of 12 were working last week, one was destroyed by someone reversing into it(again…!).

Going north on the A11 by contrast is charger heaven. From Mildenhall you have MFG, then Tesla, then Ionity and the big the Gridserve on the outskirts of Norwich.

Sort of tempted to go for a Range Rover Sport P440E hybrid instead of full EV next time.

70 miles of electric only range (probably closer to 50) puts it in 5% BIK bracket.

I would miss the instant power though.

A14 and the southern section of the M11/A11 is pretty poor for chargers, they are there but just not in the volumes needed.

Cambridge services is very under served. Ionity is fast but every time I have stopped there they have been full and the slower gridserve units are normally in use as they have historically been cheaper. That said you should be getting more than 25kw from them, more like 45kw.

There are only 4 old style super chargers at Birchanger services on the M11 and a couple slow gridserve units. Also naff.

There is a large Tesla site just off the M11 on the south side of Cambridge but there are few facilities.

If you head up the A14 to the midlands, the next decent rapid chargers are not until Rugby assuming they are now fixed… apparently only 4 of 12 were working last week, one was destroyed by someone reversing into it(again…!).

Going north on the A11 by contrast is charger heaven. From Mildenhall you have MFG, then Tesla, then Ionity and the big the Gridserve on the outskirts of Norwich.
You drive a lot...? lol

You drive a lot...? lol
Not really, I just live in East Anglia so I need to travel on those roads often to get anywhere worth going.

That said I know roughly where all the fast rapids are in the areas I frequent should I need one. Just like anyone else would know roughy where all the fuel filling stations are. ;)

Not really, I just live in East Anglia so I need to travel on those roads often to get anywhere worth going.

That said I know roughly where all the fast rapids are in the areas I frequent should I need one. Just like anyone else would know roughy where all the fuel filling stations are. ;)
I am impressed by your knowledge :D

Having said that, I drive an EV and an ICE car. I do know my local petrol stations but have no idea where my local chargers are because I can charge at home lol. The only rapids I would ever really need are >100 miles from home

Last edited:
those figures there are what you'd see on a fat E-tron or an iPace, being driven at the speed limit.

A bigger difference between those two than you cite, they are not the same performance at all. Maybe they are the figures some people see from a model Y! Imagine that! Please stop circulation your opinion as fact. To do 180miles on a battery would be cruising around 95mph in a IPACE.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom