When are you going fully electric?

Really don't understand this point - I absolutely love driving and my current EV is as fun to drive than any of my previous petrol cars (including BMW 330i, MX5 etc..)
Depends where you get your kicks. For me I absolutely love wringing the neck of my MX5 working my way up and down the gearbox to extract the 130 ponies from the engine while the exhaust is barking behind my right ear lobe. An EV isn't going to give me any of that. Nor will it feel like a sub 1 ton car as I chuck it around the undulating country roads.

For some people point and squirt driving with neck snapping acceleration is what gives them a buzz and that is an EVs party piece.

As usual, horses for courses.

For info my main ICE is an MX5 which I use for trackdays/sprints/hillclimbs so it's not exactly the most refined thing, but also not a 20mpg option, given I could do with a bit more space and I'm now doing more motorway miles etc I think at least a more sensible car makes sense and there's some man maths involved with the EV (I'm self-employed/director of limited company btw, hence the man maths :p)

Remember to claim the gov grant if your limited company is registered to your home address. Saved me £350 off my install. I went for Hypervolt which worked out £640 installed. I can use Intelligent Octopus as I have a Ford, but theres not a huge difference between Intelligent and Go.

Last edited:
Really don't understand this point - I absolutely love driving and my current EV is as fun to drive than any of my previous petrol cars (including BMW 330i, MX5 etc..)
Yup, it’s a different experience it it’s not bad. It really depends on what you drive.

There is very little point in comparing an MX-5 to any EVs on the market at the moment because frankly, there is nothing comparable. You wouldn’t compare thrashing an ICE Kona round some back roads to an MX-5 so why would you do so with a BEV one?

The closet thing is the original Tesla roaster but by all accounts, few people have actually seen one in the flesh in the U.K. let alone driven one.

By all accounts, the model 3 is very capable in the twisties to comparable cars, say a 3 series. If anything it’s too focused and it’s firm suspension makes regular driving rougher than it needs to be.

Depends where you get your kicks. For me I absolutely love wringing the neck of my MX5 working my way up and down the gearbox to extract the 130 ponies from the engine while the exhaust is barking behind my right ear lobe. An EV isn't going to give me any of that. Nor will it feel like a sub 1 ton car as I chuck it around the undulating country roads.

For some people point and squirt driving with neck snapping acceleration is what gives them a buzz and that is an EVs party piece.

As usual, horses for courses.

Yup, it’s a different experience it it’s not bad. It really depends on what you drive.

There is very little point in comparing an MX-5 to any EVs on the market at the moment because frankly, there is nothing comparable. You wouldn’t compare thrashing an ICE Kona round some back roads to an MX-5 so why would you do so with a BEV one?

The closet thing is the original Tesla roaster but by all accounts, few people have actually seen one in the flesh in the U.K. let alone driven one.

By all accounts, the model 3 is very capable in the twisties to comparable cars, say a 3 series. If anything it’s too focused and it’s firm suspension makes regular driving rougher than it needs to be.

These really, I know from experience of a track car that even a couple of hundred kg makes a huge difference to how the car handles on the limit, there's no way any EV will replicate that and the MG4 specifically isn't any faster accelerating (although easier), and indeed the gearbox. But like b0rn2sk8 says that's not a 'valid' comparison, and not something I'm going to want from the car which is also why I have no plans to get rid of the MX5.

Also most of those differences, especially weight really, aren't that applicable to the roads as you just don't take it that close to the limit to really notice it too much I'd imagine.

Remember to claim the gov grant if your limited company is registered to your home address. Saved me £350 off my install. I went for Hypervolt which worked out £640 installed. I can use Intelligent Octopus as I have a Ford, but theres not a huge difference between Intelligent and Go.

Hadn't even thought of that, unfortunately I use a registered office service to keep my personal address off public records as much as possible so guessing that's a no-go, I'll check though.

Hadn't even thought of that, unfortunately I use a registered office service to keep my personal address off public records as much as possible so guessing that's a no-go, I'll check though.

My address is not on public records so you can do it :) I think it may be trading address not registered address, I can't remember! I know that my home address is not visible publicly though.

I don’t think I mentioned fun. Was about the experience of revs, noise, gearchange etc. depends of course on the car and roads.

Apologies don’t know which EV you have either

Would you be willing to say who your lease is through/how much it is by any chance?

Our cars are arranged through Arval, though it's a bit different to what you'll be able to find privately or on salary sacrifice as mine includes 15k per annum and is fully maintained and insured etc

Rough numbers are £315 net for the MG, £390 cupra (Inc pan roof which was something like a £1k option, though I ordered this end March so prior to at least one price increase). As mentioned above though these aren't really comparable with a personal lease or purchase.

Edited - got the PCP value wrong (just checked it) that was previously here

Last edited:
Today I had my test drive in the MG4 and it's quite a nice car, shockingly :p :)

I had a look around an SE in the dealership itself before driving the Trophy, the differences are pretty minor though so yeah...

Sitting in the dealership one and giving it a good prod around I'm sure other people could/would nitpick about the interior but coming from much older Japanese cars it's perfectly fine/decent really.

The test drive itself was pretty short (~8 miles), in the rain, didn't get to try too many of the features but in terms of just general driving it was nice. Refined enough for me, got some performance when you accelerate (at least upto 60), gripped and felt pretty good. Probably the biggest thing was the regen, I kinda expected this to be similar to just lifting in a manual ICE car but it was a lot more aggressive than that (on the default setting, I know you can reduce it) which caught me out a bit at first but was actually quite nice, can always just put a tiny bit of throttle on to minimise it.

Overall I'm impressed and probably going to go for it, did talk numbers for a PCP and the salesperson made the point about being able to end it early but doing the maths after getting home I'd need to make 46 of 48 payments before I could do that so what's the point :p Lease is slightly cheaper still as well so seems like a no-brainer given the chance of me buying at the end of the PCP would be almost 0.

I should probably arrange some test drives in other cars but honestly all the competition is decently more expensive and I doubt I'd want to pay more for fairly minor differences really...

Last edited:
which colour then ?

I've only seen Y's in white and it looks almost matt and lifeless - grey/silver would make design look less monolithic/slab-sided
Not sure I agree with that as it’s a pearl Metallic white so goes good job highlighting the limited shapes.

It had the same annoying rear motor inverter screech as the model 3 I drove. How do people tolerate it?

which colour then ?

I've only seen Y's in white and it looks almost matt and lifeless - grey/silver would make design look less monolithic/slab-sided

I think I'm gonna get the MG4 Trophy in Orange, do like orange and think it looks great in the flesh, but on the other hand kinda grates paying for a colour :p Think the stock/free colours are White or Blue, the Blue looks ok in videos at least...

Back
Top Bottom