When are you going fully electric?

I’m in a couple of the tesla owners groups and there are a lot of people complaining about frozen washers and how terrible and dangerous driving the car is when they are frozen and asking why the bottle, pipes and jets isn’t heated.

Some of the responses are funny.

Let’s face it, we’ve all had it happen but we all should know it’s out own fault for not having the right mix in during a cold snap. I did too mine up last week, it was mostly concentrate as I’d normally do for winter but I’ve not actually driven this week so I have no idea if it’s frozen or not.

Let’s face it, we’ve all had it happen but we all should know it’s out own fault for not having the right mix in during a cold snap.
It doesn't matter what the mix is in the bottle if the washer jets and wipers themselves are frozen solid. Why do you think so many cars have heated washer nozzles if it only requires a low temp screen wash?

With the headlight washers of my BMW skooshing enough liquid to put out a forest fire the screenwash doesn't last very long and I'm forever topping it up. I think I've topped filled it up 4 times since November.

Last edited:
With the headlight washers of my BMW skooshing enough liquid to put out a forest fire the screenwash doesn't last very long and I'm forever topping it up. I think I've topped it up 4 times since November.
My dad's old Peugeot 406 had the washer fluid nozzles on the wipers themselves and it used to be like someone had thrown a bucket of water over the screen.

The stuff I use is good to -5ºC but only when used without dilution. I didn't do that the last time I filled. I think the Hyundai garage also basically just added water at the service a couple of weeks ago... meaning my screen is a smeary mess right now! Can't wait for it to thaw out of the weekend.

BEV's stood out this morning - with frost still on the M 3 bonnet ... reduced engine bay heat must mean WW lines/tank are more cold susceptible
- whats the prospect you knack the pump if the system is frozen somewhere - or they have pressure bypass like Karcher,

Just cancelled my MG4 order.

I really enjoyed driving it on my test drives. But it's not the family car I was meant to be shopping for :p Not big enough, and the SE SR has some silly omissions (for a family car) like no rear speakers, rear cabin lights and no load rating for the roof (plus stuff that I want, like a reversing camera). Also got somewhat put off by reliability reports and the efficiency being reported by owners.

At £0.34/kWh and this temperature, I'm feeling some pain.

Think our diesel estate is now the same cost to run as the BEV :(

Similar problem here.

I'm on Octopus Go at the 7.5p night rate, so still around 2.5p to 3p per mile for the first 20-25 miles per day (granny charger). After that, it's more like 17p per mile.

If electricity prices continue to climb, I can't see EVs being cost effective for me after my current fix ends (August). If things continue as they are, it's quite likely that off-peak tariffs will have risen further by then.

My maths must be different to others.
ev @ 34ppkwh getting 2.2 miles per kwh is 15.453ppm

ice 50mpg @ £1.70 per litre is 15.454ppm
Who gets 2.2mpkwh? - well apart from taycans.

3mpkwh =11.33ppm
60mpg diesel @£1.70 is 12.8ppm

Now if petrol/diesel nose dives then that's a different kettle of fish.

Besides, i though EV's were bought to save the planet and our future generations?
:D :D :D :D

Last edited:
I really enjoyed driving it on my test drives. But it's not the family car I was meant to be shopping for :p Not big enough
They've made new noise about the Astra ev estate but, projected £8K more over mg4 https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/vauxhall...all-astra-electric-to-rival-the-mg4-hatchback - practicality, though

The Octopus go at 7.5p could well change, too, come April, with the new renewables windfall tax, cutting in above (ironically) 7.5p, so the renewable companies may want more money for their off peak energy, to compensate.

Back
Top Bottom