When are you going fully electric?

Be interesting to see what config works best. I believe my Peugeot is FWD? Maybe a RWD EV would perform well.

I recall when I bought my C180 Coupe being advised to load the boot with builders sand lol.
All about the tyres, I run all seasons with snow symbol on my 4x4 so it has great ability, still it weighs 2 tonnes, you loose to physics in the end, a light weight 4x4 on the right tyres is generally best, its not coincidence that you'd see Panda 4x4s or cars of that ilk littering ski resorts. FWD will be just fine on the right tyres.

Be interesting to see what config works best. I believe my Peugeot is FWD? Maybe a RWD EV would perform well.

I recall when I bought my C180 Coupe being advised to load the boot with builders sand lol.
I did see a Merc E Class with the boot open and a lad sitting on the back to get some grip :cry:

We were in our Golf GTI (FWD) and were mostly ok apart from the steeper hills - just seemed crazy that the gritters hadn't been out!

All about the tyres, I run all seasons with snow symbol on my 4x4 so it has great ability, still it weighs 2 tonnes, you loose to physics in the end, a light weight 4x4 on the right tyres is generally best, its not coincidence that you'd see Panda 4x4s or cars of that ilk littering ski resorts. FWD will be just fine on the right tyres.
For sure... I am invincible in the snow in my old Fiesta.

Desperately keen to give my E43 a go but conscious I may not be able to get back up the hill I live on :cry: :cry:

Quite a few cars come with aux heaters for cabin pre-heat, been around for years, still doesn't mean you avoid scraping as not all car will clear indicators and light clusters but at least you have less to do and a warm cabin.
It was a post in context of the prior discussion about EVs being best for snow as they almost universally come with pre-heat.

You're right I know lots that do aux heaters but they are either
1. JLRs
2. EVs
3. Mild Hybrids

I don't know of any other manufacturer that allows pre-heat on a petrol/diesel car.

It was a post in context of the prior discussion about EVs being best for snow as they almost universally come with pre-heat.

You're right I know lots that do aux heaters but they are either
1. JLRs
2. EVs
3. Mild Hybrids

I don't know of any other manufacturer that allows pre-heat on a petrol/diesel car.

Just as some background – not necessarily for you, but just in general – cabin pre-heaters have been around for about 85 years on passenger cars but they're quite rare because they would entail additional hardware and cost (usually an additional fuel-fired heating system).

So, more often than not, unless you were in a market that would make them more worthwhile, you wouldn't see them.

You could get them for E34-gen BMW 5 Series, for example (factory option, supplied by Webasto). Often referred to as auxiliary heating and activation could be triggered by a timer.

But now, because the hardware to allow such a feature is there by default, it's much more prominent, as you say. :)

Last edited:

They used to be quite common on higher end diesel cars but are much rarer now, which is probably why we've not heard of them for a while.

The E39 BMW 530d had a heater as standard, though the ability to remote control it for cabin heat before you started the car was optional and not picked very option. My 530d does not have one, so presumably at some point diesel tech got to the point where it provides cabin heat quick enough to remove the requirement for an additional heater.

We could have had a much better argument in 2002 about this.

'My electric car heats up instantly!'
'So does my 530d and it doesn't do 0-60 in 30 seconds like your electric car'

:D

Last edited:
They used to be quite common on higher end diesel cars but are much rarer now, which is probably why we've not heard of them for a while.

The E39 BMW 530d had a heater as standard, though the ability to remote control it for cabin heat before you started the car was optional and not picked very option. My 530d does not have one, so presumably at some point diesel tech got to the point where it provides cabin heat quick enough to remove the requirement for an additional heater.

:D
Diesel tech never got anywhere to beat physics, still takes ages.

Anyway the time you waste defrosting you soon get back not needing to charge on longer trips :p

This cold weather combined with 60-80p/kwh charge rates (of which you only get 90-95% of what you pay for) means top up miles are more than ICE, but getting in a warm defrosted car is something to look forward to

Last edited:
Diesel tech never got anywhere to beat physics, still takes ages.

Anyway the time you waste defrosting you soon get back not needing to charge :p

This cold weather combined with 60-80p/kwh charge rates (of which you only get 90-95% of what you pay for) means top up miles are more than ICE
I'm OK if it takes ages if I am not in the car :D

This is true, my Evoque was great with remote start but never turned the heated wheel on.

Cupra wheel is burning hot on max setting, lovely.

nothing beats my Rover turbo in 2000 with Clifford remote start, kids walking by thought there was magic going on when that started up. (Mainly did it for the turbo timer benefit after driving)

Last edited:

To be fair its still an option on a lot of larger cars, the cabin heater now of course is supplemented often by a 1kW PTC heater thanks to the additional onboard power available on modern cars, diesel tech didn't move, just the amount of electrons and how we deploy them did.

Anyway back to the EVs chaps. :rolleyes: :p

I (finally) put in the order for an MG4 today, Trophy spec in Volcano Orange, good times... Just gotta wait '16-20 weeks' now, boo. :p

Gonna look at getting the charger installed before then, probably early in the new year, probably go for the Ohme as I'm planning on using the Octopus Intelligent tariff...

I (finally) put in the order for an MG4 today, Trophy spec in Volcano Orange, good times... Just gotta wait '16-20 weeks' now, boo. :p

Gonna look at getting the charger installed before then, probably early in the new year, probably go for the Ohme as I'm planning on using the Octopus Intelligent tariff...
If you aren't doing mega mileage I'm still coping 100% fine on my granny charger and an outdoor plug.

If you aren't doing mega mileage I'm still coping 100% fine on my granny charger and an outdoor plug.

I could probably do the same if necessary but because it's a company car the company (my company :p) can pay for the charger and get the 'super deduction' goodness as long as it's done by the end of March, and charging just at the cheap rates on Octopus Go or Intelligent does save money overall so why not :)

Ohme chargers work fine but be aware of bugs that pop up now and again on the software side of things. A few times since I've owned mine the API stuff has been broken, although to be fair it's not necessarily always their fault (if API's changed they're not aware until things stop working). Their support is good however, fixing a software issue I was having within a few days (unable to login to the BMW API so wasn't showing current SOC)
I have the non-pro model (older one) and the screen stopped being readable daytime ages ago too. Just not bothered trying to get it replaced as it's working fine other than that.

Last edited:

Yeah small thin tyres and proper 4x4 not just AWD with winter tyres is unbeatable. Even 2wd with thin winter tyres beats many of those Chelsea tractors SUVS AWD running on 315 21" low profile summer tyres.

Ohme chargers work fine but be aware of bugs that pop up now and again on the software side of things. A few times since I've owned mine the API stuff has been broken, although to be fair it's not necessarily always their fault (if API's changed they're not aware until things stop working). Their support is good however, fixing a software issue I was having within a few days (unable to login to the BMW API so wasn't showing current SOC)
I have the non-pro model (older one) and the screen stopped being readable daytime ages ago too. Just not bothered trying to get it replaced as it's working fine other than that.
Also to add to this, Ohme only works over 4g. Their terms and conditions state this is only included for a certain period of time, after that you may be charged to maintain the functionality.

I’d personally avoid it but as was recently point out to me, it’s the only charger currently compatible with Octopus Intelligent which is a great tariff. If you car isn’t on the compatible list which I don’t think the MG is, the. It’s the only way to get access to it.

Back
Top Bottom