When are you going fully electric?

Talking of Volvo's and the technology - my in-law managed to reverse into her house in her brand new XC90 for whatever reason and cause structural damage.

Really? My Polestar won't let me reverse if there is an obstruction and I've taken to turning off 'Rear auto braking' when I reverse park on to my own drive, as it kept slamming in the brakes due to a hedge we have on the boundary.

See. Weirdly I don’t mind the steering wheel buttons in my cupra. But give me heater controls like my BMW. So much easier and that’s without mentioning the mighty air blender

Last edited:
Really? My Polestar won't let me reverse if there is an obstruction and I've taken to turning off 'Rear auto braking' when I reverse park on to my own drive, as it kept slamming in the brakes due to a hedge we have on the boundary.
Yeah my Merc is the same. I stayed out of it, seemed like a touchy subject for them lol.

Have to say that's one thing i'm not 100% sold on in the Niro I have on order - the control strip for climate & media controls looks very slick, and I didn't really have any issues with it on the test drive, but remains to be seen how annoying (or hopefully not!) it will be in day to day use

Same here with the MG4, it's got a few physical buttons below the infotainment screen and steering wheel controls with some 'favourite' buttons which I think can mitigate the worst of it but it's still a bit meh...

Can only imagine how terrible a Tesla would be :p

Drive one for a week and find out ;) it’s really not as dramatic as people make out. The car I drove before this one had 100% physical buttons.

The cars automatic AC is actually really good, completely set and forget including the automatic heated seats and defogging which just work. The heated steering wheel is a touch screen button or voice command.

Media is on the screen but you also have physical buttons on the steering wheel.

Nav has pretty much 100% touch screen in nearly every car for well over a decade and probably isn’t something you should be trying to type into when driving in any car or a stand alone unit. Voice commands do work reasonably well.

Stuff that’s in the screen that probably shouldn’t be:
Fog lights
Manual wiper controls - you do have a physical button for single wipe and washer jets and the automatic mode is the default and it works. When you hit the button it also pops up the wiper menu right next to where your hand would be.

The one thing with Tesla’s screen over other cars is that it’s actually laid out quite well, it’s very responsive and the deepest you can go is two layers. You can also customise the home row with the controls/apps that you want.

That most certainly isn’t the case for a lot of cars whos menus seems to go into layer after layer after layer for fairly basic functionality, that’s then combined with laggy animations between each button press.

I should add that I have not driven the stalkless Model S or X. Having all that as steering wheel buttons look aweful to use, particularly on roundabouts.

They rejigged the nav in the last update so the text size is much better.

Text on the media pane is very small though. That said, being young, I can still read it ;)

There are 10 ‘buttons’ on the steering wheel, 5 are for media (play/pause, volume up and down, skip back or forth) and the other sides controls the cruise control (speed up and down, follow distance up or down) and taking up the voice commands. Pretty standard really.

My last car had a steering wheel button to change the colour of the speedo, like that’s a priority control!

One difference is that tesla don’t really do driving modes like a lot of EVs seems to embrace in excess (super eco, eco, comfort, sport etc) and they often have a button for it.

You can but the acceleration in ‘chill’ but I have never felt the need, I’d rather have all the power available and use my right foot to control it. Having 4 or more driving modes seems a bit unnecessary on a pretty standard car.

Eco modes in EVs don't really do a lot that can't be managed with some foot control.

Also set and forget the AC, it just works, especially now I've set the auto fan speed to low.

Wipers are a lot better than they used to be, on par with other manufacturers. BUT sometimes I really miss the ability to tweak sensitivity, just like you need to with other manufacturers.

Yeah interesting, the Model S with ludicrous and special hidden ludicrous+ was pretty tedious, let alone the batter warmup time. I have 4 modes from dedicated toggle buttons, but that's #legacyauto. They do work though, change the speedo cluster colours but thats not an issue in a Tesla 3/Y :p

Eco modes in EVs don't really do a lot that can't be managed with some foot control.
Totally disagree. The Pug is night and day between Eco, Normal and Sport. In sport, you tap the throttle and its desperate to put you back in the chair (relatively speaking). In ECO, you can pretty much slam the throttle and it is only going to gentle get you to speed. Normal is inbetween.

Yeah that can be managed with foot control
Totally disagree. The Pug is night and day between Eco, Normal and Sport. In sport, you tap the throttle and its desperate to put you back in the chair (relatively speaking). In ECO, you can pretty much slam the throttle and it is only going to gentle get you to speed. Normal is inbetween.
Just press it less in sport and it achieves the same effect as pressing it a lot in eco

Yeah that can be managed with foot control

Just press it less in sport and it achieves the same effect as pressing it a lot in eco
No you can't. Tapping the throttle as lightly as possible in sport mode will give a much quicker throttle response. You can't feather it enough to achieve the slower response ECO provides.

I had an e-208

If you gave it a week you’d find a bit more modulation in your foot

Like trying left foot braking I think I am tapping the brake slightly but it jerks me forward because I just don’t have the feel.

Apologies I haven't driven the pug, point taken.

I can feather the throttle on my M3P though, also hard acceleration doesn't really seem to have as much impact on efficiency as I'd have imagined. Was definitely worse in my Golf R, maybe regen is helping out with my spirited drives.

Back
Top Bottom