When are you going fully electric?

I also find it odd that you think someone thinks they know everything about someone, when it was a generalisation about the state of people commenting on the fact you need insulation. Are you upset and taking things personally for a reason? Not everyone needs to agree with your reasoning on something that you yourself have generalised, anyhow... convo done back to BEV's cheers for the laugh.

Upset, taking things personally, you what?

Yeah I think we'll end it there and you're welcome

I also find it odd that you think someone thinks they know everything about someone, when it was a generalisation about the state of people commenting on the fact you need insulation. Are you upset and taking things personally for a reason? Not everyone needs to agree with your reasoning on something that you yourself have generalised, anyhow... convo done back to BEV's cheers for the laugh.
You have literally just said you find it odd that people living in old houses don’t insulate it. Not sure what you expect them to insulate to? A passivhaus? With retrofit wet ufh?

Last edited:
10miles range is the difference between stopping and not.
It rarely is.

Frankly, spending the less than 1 minute on basically any old rapid charger to get those extra 10 miles is well worth not spending 3.5-4 hours driving (which is the reality of 200 miles in normal day time traffic on UK roads) in the freezing cold because you don't want the heating on to save energy.

It rarely is.

Frankly, spending the less than 1 minute on basically any old rapid charger to get those extra 10 miles is well worth not spending 3.5-4 hours driving (which is the reality of 200 miles in normal day time traffic on UK roads) in the freezing cold because you don't want the heating on to save energy.
1 minute. That’s 1kwh at 60kw. What car can do 10m/kWh. And detour. Plug in. Handshake etc is far more than a minute.

You are talking about some scenario that you haven’t experienced and telling me. In a 58kWh car than can do 160-180 miles range in cold that I should ignore the heater and just leave on 21C for my 180 mile trip and that I’m wrong and that the scenario I lighted hearted jokes about tuning heating to right foot is some how not real ????

Last edited:
I always find it odd that people who live in 'old' houses wouldn't have good insulation anyhow, rather than peeing money up the wall with excess gas/oil usage. There is no excuse not having a well insulated house, and if anything over the last 12 months I bet more people are now wishing they had it done earlier/properly.

Back to BEV's though, since this is the thread about that, seems some of the used prices are finally starting to drop, not sure if it will stay that way over the next 6 months, but it is nice to see.

There is only so much you can do with old houses unless you knock them down and start again. My house is approx 380 year old and 3 foot thick stone walls. I have 18" of loft insulation and K glass double glazing but its still awful for heat loss vs a modern house. Cavity wall insulation isnt an option as there are no cavities.

Last edited:
There is only so much you can do with old houses unless you knock them down and start again. My house is approx 380 year old and 3 foot thick stone walls. I have 18" of loft insulation and K glass double glazing but its still awful for heat loss vs a modern house. Cavity wall insulation isnt an option as there are no cavities.
Fit a heat pump mate. Loads better

1 minute. That’s 1kwh at 60kw. What car can do 10m/kWh. And detour. Plug in. Handshake etc is far more than a minute.

You are talking about some scenario that you haven’t experienced and telling me. In a 58kWh car than can do 160-180 miles range in cold that I should ignore the heater and just leave on 21C for my 180 mile trip and that I’m wrong and that the scenario I lighted hearted jokes about tuning heating to right foot is some how not real ????
Yikes way to take thing personally.

All I said it was rare and stated my personal view on the matter. Plus who says I haven’t experienced it, if you took my response in you’d realise I’d have stopped for a quick splash and dash. :p

Ok fine it’s 2-3 minutes at 50kw charger or a matter of seconds on a 350kw charger depending on your cars capability. It doesn’t really change anything, I’d still much rather stop for a few mins than spend 3-4 hours driving without without heating in the winter.

Yes. If they work and aren’t full. But anyway I just don’t want to stop sometimes. It’s a faff

This has got mega anal when I just made a joke about heating controls being crucial in a Ev

Last edited:
If 10 miles range is the difference between completing your journey without a charge or not... Just reduce your speed by a few mph? Even 65 vs 70 would probably give you those 10 miles back whilst only taking an extra 10-15 minutes, I'd rather that than having to sit shivering or driving in bulky jumpers and jackets for 3 hours

You turn it on and off. And it will be in combo with driving slower. Rain kills range too.

On paper easy to say what you would do too

Last edited:
We have no plans to move to an electric vehicle as we don't have off-road parking available, and if we are unable to park outside our house it would mean trailing extension cables to wherever the car was parked

If we lived in a house with a driveway, then it might be considered, but with having family at the other end of the country I would likely still have a petrol second car just for the added range and potentially easier options for fuel

We have no plans to move to an electric vehicle as we don't have off-road parking available, and if we are unable to park outside our house it would mean trailing extension cables to wherever the car was parked

If we lived in a house with a driveway, then it might be considered, but with having family at the other end of the country I would likely still have a petrol second car just for the added range and potentially easier options for fuel
I think you are right to think twice abut a bev with no home charging. We have home charging and have rarely charged on a public charger, even on 200 mile journeys. We made it exactly 200 miles with 4 of us in the wife's ID3 and got home with 6 miles on the range indicator. We had to drive at 60-65 for the majority of the journey but that doesn't really make any difference to me. However, I knew we were able to get hoem and plug in. Without that reassurance we would have to find a public charger and fully charge before getting home, or be lucky to have one close enough to walk to home from. There is also the issue of the cost - 7.5p per unit at home overnight or 65p plus for afast public charger.

As for long journeys t family, that's why I have a PHEV 7 seater - we can get the whole family in and drive to Scotland without thinking about where we can get plugged in on the way. However, I am definitely getting a BEV next as long as it is an easy 300 mile range.

As much as I like driving my EV, if I couldn’t charge where the car is parked the majority of the time (home/work) then I wouldn’t either.

That’s the crux of it basically. Plus charging on the public network is generally more expensive than fossil at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom