When are you going fully electric?

Works great while it’s a select few.
Wait until EVs are more widespread.
This is only a tiny fraction of the issue anyway - wait until your battery is borked on your 10 year old vehicle.
Many second hand car dealers refuse to deal with EVs for this reason.
Ah yes, the pillar of all sense and sensibilities - the mighty noble second hand car dealer.

This is only a tiny fraction of the issue anyway - wait until your battery is borked on your 10 year old vehicle.

Errm more people do a saving period is better.

Sorry, my cars don't get to 10 years old anyway. Although my 22year old Insight is still around.

Those second hand dealers will be going out of business that's, don't confused consequence and effect.

Errm more people do a saving period is better.

Sorry, my cars don't get to 10 years old anyway. Although my 22year old Insight is still around.

Those second hand dealers will be going out of business that's, don't confused consequence and effect.
So we are creating a two tier elitest system? Well no surprises there then.

Should be plenty of used evs to pick from in 3-4 years

What happens with ice car's when their engine is borked, Fiesta's throw camchains like a discus thrower?
They have to buy a new one, so whats the difference in buying a battery?

Anyway, i'm glad knuckle draggers don't want EV's as they can't be trusted to fill up with petrol/diesel as it is.
And that's with fuel stations on every corner.
70,000 drivers a month run out of fuel just in case you don't want to click the link.

They have to buy a new one, so whats the difference in buying a battery?

The availability and cost of the battery is the key difference to a couple of hundred quid on a recon engine.

Battery replacement cost is never going to be down to that level. I did watch something about repairing individual cells that looked interesting, how feasible that will be who knows, of course it's more than just battery to consider as that is just fuel source, the actual motors fail too.

Hopefully there will be a 3rd party repair market.

Last edited:
Is hydrogen fuel cars better?
Producing green hydrogen at a competitive cost vs petrol/diesel is the major issue.
It would need to use electricity produced from wind/solar and the final energy output is around 33% of the energy used to create the hydrogen in the firsts place, in a combustion engine scenario that is.

As every nay sayer will tel you, wind and solar are useless for reliable electricity production - yet they will still claim hydrogen is the way forward. :D

Producing green hydrogen at a competitive cost vs petrol/diesel is the major issue.
Biden is subsidising it's supply, shell/NE and denmark are building electrolysers to take surplus local wind power, -and-,
what are the alternatives for long term storage of surplus wind power ? you can push the hydrogen into underground storage areas, like Rough, too

It would need to use electricity produced from wind/solar and the final energy output is around 33% of the energy used to create the hydrogen in the firsts place, in a combustion engine scenario that is.

As every nay sayer will tel you, wind and solar are useless for reliable electricity production - yet they will still claim hydrogen is the way forward. :D

Wind and solar are poor for reliable electricity production, but that's also what makes it perfect for green hydrogen...

To have a grid where we use mostly renewable energy means we need to produce meaningful amounts of energy during those periods where renewables only get 10% or less of their rated capacity, e.g. we need to have a massive surplus of renewables. So when those renewables are actually generating at 75%+ of their rated capacity we'll end up with a huge oversupply of energy, which could get funnelled into Hydrogen production.

Wind and solar are poor for reliable electricity production, but that's also what makes it perfect for green hydrogen...

To have a grid where we use mostly renewable energy means we need to produce meaningful amounts of energy during those periods where renewables only get 10% or less of their rated capacity, e.g. we need to have a massive surplus of renewables. So when those renewables are actually generating at 75%+ of their rated capacity we'll end up with a huge oversupply of energy, which could get funnelled into Hydrogen production.
Reliability.. if it wasn't for wind/ solar energy then the gas consumption through the last year would have meant we would most likely have had blackouts.
Windpower alone produced 26.8% of the electricity we used in 2022.

Watch this and listen to the part where countries with renewable energy are more reliable than countries without it.

Last edited:
Reliability.. if it wasn't for wind/ solar energy then the gas consumption through the last year would have meant we would most likely have had blackouts.
Windpower alone produced 26.8% of the electricity we used in 2022.

Watch this and listen to the part where countries with renewable energy are more reliable than countries without it.

Remind me why the national grid and energy suppliers have been paying people to not use electricity again? Is it perhaps because the wind was too low to generate enough electricity?

I'm not against renewables, I'm saying we need more... A lot more. Currently we have ~20GW of wind capacity (and actually currently generating a nice ~16GW), we need closer to 200GW of wind capacity. But that also means at times like this we'd have ~120GW excess generation.

Which would be perfect then. Solar energy is best used when storing energy

Remind me why the national grid and energy suppliers have been paying people to not use electricity again? Is it perhaps because the wind was too low to generate enough electricity?

I'm not against renewables, I'm saying we need more... A lot more. Currently we have ~20GW of wind capacity (and actually currently generating a nice ~16GW), we need closer to 200GW of wind capacity. But that also means at times like this we'd have ~120GW excess generation.
Would having almost every household have solar panels and batteries help the whole country?

There are plenty of 10+ year old Tesla Model S and Nissan Leaf's still driving around on the OG battery. Sure, range is reduced, but they still work fine.

There are also many new second hand car dealers, who just deal with EV's

Back
Top Bottom