When are you going fully electric?

But the government knew EV's were going to be the main form of transport, yet public charging seems to be lagging behind. Other countries seem to be doing much better with this.
Tbh reliance on public charging is still an edge case for .......... 80%? of EV drivers. the USP is charging whilst you sleep on dirt cheap leccy.

Having a plan to go net Zero is not a bad thing.

The bad thing is the government doesn't have a plan to get there, just soundbites with no structure or money to support hitting such goals.

The push to public transport etc, it is not for me, it is rubbish in Bristol, can't see it improving, even in places like London where you have a metro, it is still rubbish, still have to spend too much time walking to an from points wasting my day to spend time squashed between the diseased and unwashed, no thank you, not the answer, that's assuming the striking mofos decide to actually go to work of course so you can actually use public transport :rolleyes:

EVs are an evolutionary dead end. Something else needs to be invented.

Most of the tech developed for EVs will form the basis for many other solutions supported by other fuels, tech will always evolve to meet the needs.

But the government knew EV's were going to be the main form of transport, yet public charging seems to be lagging behind. Other countries seem to be doing much better with this.

The Government has been supporting via grants for a very long time, the uptake has been pathetic as it has taken time for EVs to be come useful/desirable. the external factors that have impacted fuel prices etc in the UK has caused a massive ramp up, beyond most expected norms so yup, they are going to be behind the curve for a bit.

The push to public transport etc, it is not for me, it is rubbish in Bristol, can't see it improving, even in places like London where you have a metro, it is still rubbish, still have to spend too much time walking to an from points wasting my day to spend time squashed between the diseased and unwashed
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think it might have made sense to get the infrastructure right before trying to get everyone into EVs. I'm sure everything must have been great a year or two back with less cars using public chargers.
yes - they got the investment ratio wrong the relative subsidy for private versus public chargers , and the subsidy/grants for cars themselves, which drove the high UK fleet ev penetration;
(but, used EV pricing is now responding to that)

yes - they got the investment ratio wrong the relative subsidy for private versus public chargers , and the subsidy/grants for cars themselves, which drove the high UK fleet ev penetration;
(but, used EV pricing is now responding to that)
But surely jpaul, you understand that, with high penetration of EVs comes lots of voices and strength to deliver the infra? It was reversed, there would be outcry's about under utilised charging networks consuming public funds at the wrong time.

Jeez, learn not to feed the troll guys just came online and there's 3 new pages trying to convince someone who is never going to change their mind ;)

The most demand for electricity in recent years in the UK was for 62GW in 2002. Since then, the nation’s peak demand has fallen by roughly 16% due to improvements in energy efficiency.

Even if we all switched to EVs overnight, we believe demand would only increase by around 10%. So we’d still be using less power as a nation than we did in 2002 and this is well within the range of manageable load fluctuation.

EDIT:

This second page also says "There is definitely enough energy and the grid can cope easily."

Last edited:
The National Grid have stated many times already they are more than capable of handling EVs.

Yep - The Grid will need some upgrades into the future but for now it's perfectly capable of handling 571,000 cars, all charging at the same time overnight; that's enough capacity for 4 million individual car charges per week, using the existing electricity infrastructure.

I know this, because I manage the National Grid Future Connections team :)

Last edited:
Yep - The Grid will need some upgrades into the future but for now it's perfectly capable of handling 571,000 cars, all charging at the same time overnight; that's enough capacity for 4 million individual car charges per week, using the existing electricity infrastructure.

I know this, because I manage the National Grid Future Connections team :)
lol, pretty authoritative source I'd say :D

Whaddya say now suckers

It's fine - a change on this scale will always have bumps on the way.

Do you think when fuel cars arrived in the 1900's there was a petrol station located in every village from day one :cry: The difference these days is social media makes it appear worse than it is.

In the early days of petrol you had to buy the fuel from chemists shops
We all know what they are like for opening hours ;)

lol, pretty authoritative source I'd say :D

Whaddya say now suckers
Sure it’s the Daily Fail, but this IS happening now…

Secondly if electricity is so readily abundant - why is it so cripplingly expensive.

Thirdly only a fraction of people in the North of England has a drive and the possibility of personal chargers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Secondly if electricity is so readily abundant - why is it so cripplingly expensive.

Thirdly only a fraction of people in the North of England has a drive and the possibility of personal chargers.

Re: Energy availability
It's important to understand that energy demand in the UK isn't constant, but comes in peaks and troughs. Typically peak demand during a week day consists of a couple of hours in the morning (6-8am) and a few hours in the evening (5-8pm). Demand during these times is even higher when it's cold (mostly Winter). So when NG can see renewable generation is lower (e.g. less wind) and the gas day supply is being stretched (e.g. demand for heating) then they have started to offer a 'Demand Flexibility Scheme' to energy consumers, which pays money for reducing electricity use at a specific time. This helps reduce some demand during the peak hour times. [NG also ask energy producers to fire up to improve supply]

Supply is only reaching marginal levels during these peak times and conditions. Outside of these peak demand periods there is often surplus and generators are paid to not produce energy.

EV owners are incentivised, through a lower electricity cost, to charge their cars overnight, where there is usually 20GW+ surplus (peak use vs low use) and the majority of the energy being produced is coming from renewable sources (wind).

Q : Why is energy so expensive?
Currently the electricity priced is linked to the gas price because gas is the marginal 'last resort' source of supply. Across Europe, due to restrictions on pipeline supply, gas availability has been significantly reduced, hence the market price for gas dramatically increased, so, as the electricity price is linked to the gas price, that increased too.
There is a scheme running called 'Contract for Difference' which is where generators pay back money to suppliers, when the energy price moves above an agreed 'strike price'. This recovers some of the costs back, which producers are receiving due to the high gas price.

Last edited:

Dinorwig generates 1kwh for every 3kwh it consumes.

TL;DR - you don't understand how energy works.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom