When are you going fully electric?

The reward was that rather than the 'saving'. People seem to be confusing the two.
I'm on a 13.4 / 5.5p tarriff so thats enough to charge my charge!
You'll earn 2700 OctoPoints – that's £3.37 worth – per kilowatt hour for any electricity you cut down between 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM on 23rd January.

Simply between 5-6 normal cooking and use, my wife did cooking jacket potatos early, kids off consoles etc and i used laptop on battery only.

• You saved 1.678kWh, which earned you 4536 OctoPoints – worth £5.67.

The day after its come in about £4. So not a bad result for limited effort and keeping the power demand down as intended.

In terms of weed, i buy it from jpaul anyway - its crazy strong stuff.

Last edited:
The reward was that rather than the 'saving'. People seem to be confusing the two.
I'm on a 13.4 / 5.5p tarriff so thats enough to charge my charge!

Simply between 5-6 normal cooking and use, my wife did cooking jacket potatos early, kids off consoles etc and i used laptop on battery only.

The day after its come in about £4. So not a bad result for limited effort and keeping the power demand down as intended.

In terms of weed, i buy it from jpaul anyway - its crazy strong stuff.

not really as like i said our normal usage was 0.2kw so we ended up with 280 octopoints (100 of which came from taking part) .

Like I said, the times they have set it doesnt suit our usage as we are naturally low during the 5pm to 6pm slot but we dont have kids but its not really aimed at us low users anyway. The most we have ever used in a hour in the last year is 1.6kw (excluding EV charge up during the night) and that was between 8 and 9pm when i was cooking and the washing machine was on plus tv/computer/lights etc.

Our daily usage is around 6-7kw per day (excluding EV charging)

I'm a bit lost on the point you are trying to make? It looks pretty obvious that nothing happens in your house 5-6 and hence somewhat of an edge case for a household to use 0.2 kWh between 5-6pm. You were the person suggesting i used 10kWh in an hour? :confused: Infact you even accused me of illegal activities ;)

I can't not going to make excuses for being more typical in my useage which is exactly why i was the targeted user profile and responded accordingly. :)

how was the car's battery report - did the garage do additional checks ?, reflected, in trade-in price agreed ... did they just want mileage

Just mileage.

I bought the replacement (Leaf 40) online and conducted the whole transaction online. They didn't even look at my trade-in when I turned up yesterday; just asked me to sign a couple of things, handed me the keys, and sent me on my way. They didn't once ask about the battery :eek: And this was a Nissan main dealer. Seems like the trade in value would have been the same whether it had 12/12 battery bars or 4/12...

(no need to be a kingpin)
If you gamed the energy saving sessions by plugging in your car for a couple of hours of in day adjustment, before the saving session, that would easily give you a couple of KW session saving.

If you gamed the energy saving sessions by plugging in your car for a couple of hours of in day adjustment, before the saving session, that would easily give you a couple of KW session saving.
Similar thing but to a lesser extent - I had been using electric rads for WFH heating. I realised it was a false economy but it meant my rolling average up until Mondays saving session was much higher than typical. Ended up being paid 2 quid for doing nothing differently.

Octopus coming to install my charger next week :D Still no delivery date but I imagine it won't be much longer to wait if they're doing that already.

Ooh, interesting, how long ago did you book the charger? Guessing by the sounds of it you're getting a car through their leasing setup and it's part of that?

I'm not getting the car through Octopus but just got a quote for them to fit the Ohme charger (and just switched to them) with the aim of using the Intelligent Octopus tariff, don't actually need the charger till march/april time though...

Ooh, interesting, how long ago did you book the charger? Guessing by the sounds of it you're getting a car through their leasing setup and it's part of that?

I'm not getting the car through Octopus but just got a quote for them to fit the Ohme charger (and just switched to them) with the aim of using the Intelligent Octopus tariff, don't actually need the charger till march/april time though...
Make sure you actually need it as it's like 1500 or something nuts.

The community of nerds that games this to the extreme really cheeses me off.

"Oh yeah I empty my hot water tank, pyro clean my two ovens, run fan heaters with the windows open, charge the car, put every light on... And I saved £50 in the last session"

Meanwhile people on prepay meters struggle to pay their unfairly weighted tariffs. Really boils my blood.

The boasts from nerds with nothing better to do wasting energy to game a system to make £40 to top up their 45% bracket salary was nearly enough for me to leave Octopus after being a customer since pretty much day one. The reality of this being a completely fruitless act stopped me as the roll out post trial was inevitable so I'd be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Hopefully all the couple of quid savings will be worth it when the bait-and-switch to energy surge pricing comes into effect. "Sorry kids, we can't cook dinner until 9pm because mum can't afford the electricity". Not that Mr 45% will give a toss, he'll just switch to his home battery storage to see him through.

Interesting video from CarWow where they test 4 EVs and see their range.
Basically another video confirming why I would never get an EV. No where near advertised range, chargers that don’t work (or not enough), slow charging rates at those that do, and not really having a clue where you’ll end up when you are running low, and then scouting to find a charger.

Also, how much are people paying (roughly) to charge their cars at remote chargers? (Ie not at home) I’m sure Matt said it would cost £70 to fully charge the BMW!!

Last edited:
Basically another video confirming why I would never get an EV. No where near advertised range, chargers that don’t work (or not enough), slow charging rates at those that do, and not really having a clue where you’ll end up when you are running low, and then scouting to find a charger.

Also, how much are people paying (roughly) to charge their cars at remote chargers? (Ie not at home) I’m sure Matt said it would cost £70 to fully charge the BMW!!

Presumably you’d never get an ICE car then as they never reach their quoted MPG or range either.

95+% of charging is done at home when it’s parked. Yes rapid charging is expensive but the odd time you actually have to use one essentially makes the cost irrelevant. Some cars charge slowly on rapid chargers - don’t buy those, there are plenty out there now that charge very quickly. Why wouldn’t you have a clue where you would end up? I don’t really understand that point at all.

Even with energy prices as they are, you could still be doing nearly all your driving by at under 3-4p/mile vs 15+p in an ICE car.

ON the other hand, I was impressed that at motorway speeds, rain and cold that they got at least 75% of their claimed ranges. In reality \i would never drive close to 300 miles without at least one stop for food, etc and any of those cars would have done me fine.

I think, as usual with these things, there's issues all around :p

CarWow exists to get views, so to an extent there's some sensationalism built in, not saying it's wrong as I do enjoy their stuff and think they're relatively unbiased but they are undoubtedly after clicks.

Manufacturers/WLTP, this is probably the biggest, the car industry lobbied for ages to delay the introduction of the WLTP as the NEDC was even more broken, but the issue is the WLTP is still far from reality and this applies to both EVs and ICE cars, the WLTP numbers will never be achievable in the real world.

The charging network isn't really up to scratch, part chicken and egg situation and partly I'd imagine because the charger companies would rather have 'not enough' chargers than 'too many', chargers sat empty are a waste of money after all... You mention the charging speed, he shows a Zoe at 33kW where it's max is 46kW, a Hyundai Ioniq at 33kW with a max rate of 50kW and a BMW i3 which at 42kW with a max charging of 50kW. I'm ignoring the Ioniq that was at 90% as he mentioned they go stupidly slow over 80-85%, to the extent you'd rarely/never do it at a public charger. That's not as bad as it makes out really, albeit not great and no indication that a car capable of charging at 100+kW would actually get that at those chargers on that day.

And finally EVs themselves, they are limited in range, and limited in charge speeds, that's not gonna change. Winter/cold conditions just exacerbate this, as does motorway travel (consistent high speed = drag + no regen)

But! Is that really a problem, assuming you go in with eyes open (which admittedly most buyers don't, see the popularity of diesels). EVs big issues are long trips like in the CarWow video, but how often do people do those kind of distances?

The MG4 I've ordered has an official range of 270 miles, but as mentioned that's just useless, I'm assuming/hoping that it should manage 200 miles real world most of the time. For me that should cover 99% of my trips. It's also about the level where if I do do a longer trip I can split it into 130-150 mile chunks, or about 2 hours, and it can theoretically charge quickly enough that a relatively short stop should do the job.

If you're doing a long trip in an EV then it really doesn't take much planning to find a couple of decent charging & refreshment locations on the route...... after 4+ hours of driving [303 miles at 70mph is 4.3 hours]
Range - it's cold, so the range will be less. The WLTP range figure is always best case scenario, it's the same for ICE vehicles too.

The BMW managed 303 miles, 82% of the claimed range, and yes, it did cost £70 to charge using a public charger, which for an SUV with 620bhp (BMW iX M60) is probably in line with what it would cost for an ICE SUV with similar power to fuel for 300 miles. [e.g. A 650bhp Lamborghini Urus is quoted at 23mpg combined, so that would cost £104 to cover 303 miles] (not that fuel price matters to owners of £100k-£200k cars).

If you missed the video : It's 45 mins long to tell us the car with the biggest battery went the furthest :cry:

Last edited:
There is some truth in it though. For some reason folk always talk 200 miles one way and then figure they'd take a break after 3-4 hours of driving, which is fair, but often I do my mums house (200 miles round trip) and my in laws (200 miles round trip). I mean I drove to child minders yesterday (4 miles?) and then to work (100miles). I then drove to dinner (5 miles?) and then drove home 100 miles.

I'd love to own an EV that can comfortably do this without requiring a destination charger/relying on public charging. Public charging is just $lol when you factor in the additional outlay of an EV. Even my E43 managed 420 miles to a tank with lots of booting it and fast motorway driving, at a cost of just £111 (super 95).

And yeah shoot me for "driving in an atypical way to the 99%" but that doesn't mean I can't whinge and want to find an EV that fits the bill.

Back
Top Bottom