When are you going fully electric?

And how do they know when a saving period is gonna be.

You just shift stuff to peak regions and profit whenever it happens I guess, I could quite easily do that as I don't have any special tariff so can charge my car in the peak period plus that is when we do the cooking, all electric, so I can see how people might choose to game it, quite easy to suck down a load of current in peak periods.

I choose not to do this of course.

Last edited:
The push to public transport etc, it is not for me, it is rubbish in Bristol, can't see it improving, even in places like London where you have a metro, it is still rubbish, still have to spend too much time walking to an from points wasting my day to spend time squashed between the diseased and unwashed, no thank you, not the answer, that's assuming the striking mofos decide to actually go to work of course so you can actually use public transport :rolleyes:

Public transport in London is incredible. And yes sometimes you have to walk a little, or use a bike. So? Unless you're a PRM walking is very good for you and easy to do!

Taking the train to get across the UK is also much easier and quicker than driving.

I will concur that in this country the cost of rail travel is too high - but having lived in Europe, I can assure you rail is so so good for getting around.

Hopefully the UK will also ban domestic flights and start to subsidise rail travel more.

And how do they know when a saving period is gonna be.
There's two elements here.

Firstly, you'd expect saving sessions to occur at normal peak times, so generally just move your energy intensive day to day activity into typical peak periods to inflate your 10 day average.

The rewards are also weighted against your usage that day, so when you get the (supposedly) day before notice, you can ramp up your usage during the rest of the day if you want to inflate your comparative reduction.

It’s not shifting though is it, it’s creating load. Ie dumping hot water! No one with solar actively imports from the grid for 10days solid just incase there’s a saving day. They have already decided to contribute to solving the issue.

Put the tin hat away

Producing green hydrogen at a competitive cost vs petrol/diesel is the major issue.
It would need to use electricity produced from wind/solar and the final energy output is around 33% of the energy used to create the hydrogen in the firsts place, in a combustion engine scenario that is.

As every nay sayer will tel you, wind and solar are useless for reliable electricity production - yet they will still claim hydrogen is the way forward. :D

The Japanese have started to create "red" hydrogen as an offshoot of their HTTR - if we weren't so backward with nuclear here we'd be able to generate more hydrogen effectively.

I don't think as much effort is going into hydrogen power research in this country, hydrogen or alternative to just batteries is what's really interesting to me.

It’s not shifting though is it, it’s creating load. Ie dumping hot water! No one with solar actively imports from the grid for 10days solid just incase there’s a saving day. They have already decided to contribute to solving the issue.

Put the tin hat away

There's a thread dedicated to saving sessions here:

Just in case you're interested :)

You just shift stuff to peak regions and profit whenever it happens I guess, I could quite easily do that as I don't have any special tariff so can charge my car in the peak period plus that is when we do the cooking, all electric, so I can see how people might choose to game it, quite easy to suck down a load of current in peak periods.

I choose not to do this of course.
It was 9 - 10 and then like 4 to 5 the other week. It'd cost you a fortune to game the system at 47p/kwh lol.

There's a thread dedicated to saving sessions here:

Just in case you're interested :)

Oh god really? Nah I’ll give a miss, my dissatisfaction with sharing the planet with other humans doesn’t need more of a poke.

Oh god really? Nah I’ll give a miss, my dissatisfaction with sharing the planet with other humans doesn’t need more of a poke.

Ha! Well I sort of agree the algorithm they use is a bit broken - as someone with solar and batteries, I was penalised during one of the sessions because I use 0 imported electricity because my batteries were full, and I hadn't draw from the grid all day. As such I got 0 bonus - ultimately I don't care as I didn't pay for electricity that day. However, I guess it's not aimed at people like me, as I can play system, artificially load the grid before a session, and then use my batteries during a session, and I can make £20+ profit easily for it. It's a bit daft.

If I didn't have solar + batteries, it would be VERY hard to not use the electricity during those times as they're peak cooking times for dinner etc...

I just see the saving session. Use less. Save firing up expensive coal. Win win.

If the grid truly doesn't use fossil fuels during the run up to the saving sessions then I agree, but it seems a little disingenuous or at least that the algorithm isn't tailored to be as good as it could be for the residential market.

What. It literally is to reduce peak demand to avoid using the coal backup (which is also expensive)! That’s enough of a reason for me. The payback is a bonus

Last edited:
Public transport in London is incredible. And yes sometimes you have to walk a little, or use a bike. So? Unless you're a PRM walking is very good for you and easy to do!

Nope, my last week in London, I did 67 miles on tube/train, cost me £110 for 3 of us, had to walk many miles to get to and from it, sometimes it was so busy I couldn't even get on it, though the next one is quicker than buses around here but blimey does it smell down there.

Actually cost us a lot more as one of our main points was not working so was getting the maximum daily charge .... :o It was quickly refunded when a complaint through app was sent but the level of overcharge would break some people.

It's almost worth paying the congestion and parking charges, wouldn't have cost much more, if my daughter didn't pay child rates car would have been cheaper.

As for PRM, yup, both me and the missus, we don't let that stop a good walk but there's nothing good about the tube experience to enjoy that walk.

Taking the train to get across the UK is also much easier and quicker than driving.

Again I'd disagree unless the station happens to be your start and end point.

Each to their own though, I'd like more people to ditch the car and leave me more room on the road :p :D

I live in the countryside and I'd love to not have to use my car as much. I have to say I have a complete opposite experience to you. The tube/tfl is cheap for what you get.

I do accept that mainline rail is expensive - but once in London getting around London even as a non Londoner is so easy - unless you're a PRM in which case I'll concede it needs to be better.

For me to drive into London and get around various places would cost 3x more than taking the train and using PAYG. Plus the stress of driving in London and finding a place to park, congestion charge, etc... no thanks!

As you say each to their own. I deeply hope they remove cars completely from central London - that would make going to London so pleasant.

I live in the countryside and I'd love to not have to use my car as much. I have to say I have a complete opposite experience to you. The tube/tfl is cheap for what you get.

I do accept that mainline rail is expensive - but once in London getting around London even as a non Londoner is so easy - unless you're a PRM in which case I'll concede it needs to be better.

For me to drive into London and get around various places would cost 3x more than taking the train and using PAYG. Plus the stress of driving in London and finding a place to park, congestion charge, etc... no thanks!

As you say each to their own. I deeply hope they remove cars completely from central London - that would make going to London so pleasant.

I live out in the country too and would also love to use my car less, i did use the bus to go into the nearest big town last week but it was twice the price of taking the car (£4.60 in bus fare and the car would be about £2.50 in petrol) which you can sort of justify on your own but as soon as you want to bring along the missus and your child it's just way too expensive to use public transport :( I'd imagine that's the point the previous poster made too, even somewhere like London where transit is great it still adds up quickly if there's a small group of you.

I don't know what they could do to improve the public transit around here in reality either (Anglesey in Wales) as there's literally no way to take my daughter to school or for me to get to work using public transit no matter how badly i wanted to, it feels like the whole systems needs re-thinking but that'll never happen.

but at least used EV prices are coming down now, i guess a lot of the first big wave of EV's are starting to come off lease so that should continue and enable people like me who usually spend around the £10k mark on a car to get into one soon.

Driving is unfortunately much cheaper than the train in this country. Wish it wasn't so :(

Also on the topic of dropping EV prices I saw there's a fat e-tron 55 going for about £31k on AT. Sorely tempted...

Back
Top Bottom