When are you going fully electric?

You mention the charging speed, he shows a Zoe at 33kW where it's max is 46kW, a Hyundai Ioniq at 33kW with a max rate of 50kW and a BMW i3 which at 42kW with a max charging of 50kW.

This is one of those ‘theoretical’ vs reality situations. I’m pressure sure all of those cars would charge at their rated max which is about 46kw in the right conditions for a short period of time.

Power = volts x amps and chargers are current limited. A lot of chargers are now rating their power output at 800+ volts, most cars are 400v so their output is so much lower for those vehicles.

My car is rated to charge at 180kw but I’ll never see that rate outside of the Tesla super charger network because there are no chargers that deliver the amps needed at slightly below 400v to achieve that power output.

It will absolutely charge at this rate if it’s at a low enough state of charge with a warm enough battery on a charger that can supply enough current. Before you ask, I have seen it hit that rate plenty of times.

I thought it existed to sell cars?

True, I should've specifically referenced the CarWow YouTube channel being the entity that exists solely to get views... (which itself no doubt leads to them selling cars)

There is some truth in it though. For some reason folk always talk 200 miles one way and then figure they'd take a break after 3-4 hours of driving, which is fair, but often I do my mums house (200 miles round trip) and my in laws (200 miles round trip). I mean I drove to child minders yesterday (4 miles?) and then to work (100miles). I then drove to dinner (5 miles?) and then drove home 100 miles.

I'd love to own an EV that can comfortably do this without requiring a destination charger/relying on public charging. Public charging is just $lol when you factor in the additional outlay of an EV. Even my E43 managed 420 miles to a tank with lots of booting it and fast motorway driving, at a cost of just £111 (super 95).

And yeah shoot me for "driving in an atypical way to the 99%" but that doesn't mean I can't whinge and want to find an EV that fits the bill.

Agreed, if that's even a semi-common usage for you that needs to be taken into account, and essentially rules out a large portion of the EV market currently for you, which is fine.

This is one of those ‘theoretical’ vs reality situations. I’m pressure sure all of those cars would charge at their rated max which is about 46kw in the right conditions for a short period of time.

Power = volts x amps and chargers are current limited. A lot of chargers are now rating their power output at 800+ volts, most cars are 400v so their output is so much lower for those vehicles.

My car is rated to charge at 180kw but I’ll never see that rate outside of the Tesla super charger network because there are no chargers that deliver the amps needed at slightly below 400v to achieve that power output.

It will absolutely charge at this rate if it’s at a low enough state of charge with a warm enough battery on a charger that can supply enough current. Before you ask, I have seen it hit that rate plenty of times.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was going for. If you'd turned up to those chargers on that day with those conditions in a car capable of 180kW charging you might've only got ~40kW indicating a poor charger setup or you might've got 140kW indicating the low numbers he shows are more down to car than charger, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter where the cars themselves weren't capable of much more and the cold weather would hinder them as well.

I don’t know if any of those have a battery heater so they will suffer in the cold without one regardless

I avoid anything that’s not rated to at least 150kw if I actually need to charge. I typically get 100kw off one of those which is fine and pretty fast on an efficient car.

Tesla super chargers are a lot cheaper (e.g. almost half the price outside the 4-8pm peak) than all other rapids as well so the incentives is to use them if they are convenient and available.

Last edited:
I don’t know if any of those have a battery heater so they will suffer in the cold without one regardless

I avoid anything that’s not rated to at least 150kw if I actually need to charge. I typically get 100kw off one of those which is fine and pretty fast on an efficient car.

Tesla super chargers are a lot cheaper (e.g. almost half the price outside the 4-8pm peak) than all other rapids as well so the incentives is to use them if they are convenient and available.

Yeah, the Mg4 is rated at 135kW (for the LR/Trophy), and been seen to hit ~145kW I think, bit low but certainly a lot better than 50kW!

The community of nerds that games this to the extreme really cheeses me off.

"Oh yeah I empty my hot water tank, pyro clean my two ovens, run fan heaters with the windows open, charge the car, put every light on... And I saved £50 in the last session"

Meanwhile people on prepay meters struggle to pay their unfairly weighted tariffs. Really boils my blood.

The boasts from nerds with nothing better to do wasting energy to game a system to make £40 to top up their 45% bracket salary was nearly enough for me to leave Octopus after being a customer since pretty much day one. The reality of this being a completely fruitless act stopped me as the roll out post trial was inevitable so I'd be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Hopefully all the couple of quid savings will be worth it when the bait-and-switch to energy surge pricing comes into effect. "Sorry kids, we can't cook dinner until 9pm because mum can't afford the electricity". Not that Mr 45% will give a toss, he'll just switch to his home battery storage to see him through.

ROFL

Its not Octopus causing this. Its the National grid who set the rules.
If your going to rage quit at least understand who the referee and "game designer" actually are.

The community of nerds that games this to the extreme really cheeses me off.

"Oh yeah I empty my hot water tank, pyro clean my two ovens, run fan heaters with the windows open, charge the car, put every light on... And I saved £50 in the last session"

Meanwhile people on prepay meters struggle to pay their unfairly weighted tariffs. Really boils my blood.

The boasts from nerds with nothing better to do wasting energy to game a system to make £40 to top up their 45% bracket salary was nearly enough for me to leave Octopus after being a customer since pretty much day one. The reality of this being a completely fruitless act stopped me as the roll out post trial was inevitable so I'd be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Hopefully all the couple of quid savings will be worth it when the bait-and-switch to energy surge pricing comes into effect. "Sorry kids, we can't cook dinner until 9pm because mum can't afford the electricity". Not that Mr 45% will give a toss, he'll just switch to his home battery storage to see him through.

There's a thread here for that mate. Cheers

Ooh, interesting, how long ago did you book the charger? Guessing by the sounds of it you're getting a car through their leasing setup and it's part of that?

I'm not getting the car through Octopus but just got a quote for them to fit the Ohme charger (and just switched to them) with the aim of using the Intelligent Octopus tariff, don't actually need the charger till march/april time though...
Yes it's part of their company EV scheme.
Ordered the car in November. Got a message on Tuesday this week saying I must book the charger install, with a link to their survey/questionnaire.
Filled that in on Tuesday, got an email yesterday asking if it was OK to install on the 7th...

ROFL

Its not Octopus causing this. Its the National grid who set the rules.
If your going to rage quit at least understand who the referee and "game designer" actually are.
Octopus chose to be part of the big flag waving trial though. I referenced the fact that the roll out was inevitable, that doesn't mean that I have to be two thumbs up to the company that first jumped on the bandwagon for a scheme that was so flawed in its design that it financially incentivises wasting energy and gives back the most to those with EVs, home battery storage and multiple self cleaning ovens.

Anyway... I've been signposted to the dedicated thread so I'll not further derail this one.

Gives back to those who draw the most power at the worst times? Seems pretty clever tbh. Those in actual energy poverty get government support.
Gives back the most to those who had the most sources to sink energy into to game the system.

Don't get me wrong, shifting people to charge their cars outside of the peak demand I think is a great thing. If people are in a position to have battery storage and use that to shift their demand outside of peak, I think that is a great thing.

Someone emptying their water tank, cleaning their two (already clean) ovens, running electric heating flat out etc. to maximise their usage during the monitoring window to then get a chunk of cash that would cover my entire energy bill for well over a week... something has to be wrong, surely.

Gives back the most to those who had the most sources to sink energy into to game the system.

Don't get me wrong, shifting people to charge their cars outside of the peak demand I think is a great thing. If people are in a position to have battery storage and use that to shift their demand outside of peak, I think that is a great thing.

Someone emptying their water tank, cleaning their two (already clean) ovens, running electric heating flat out etc. to maximise their usage during the monitoring window to then get a chunk of cash that would cover my entire energy bill for well over a week... something has to be wrong, surely.
Send me your PayPal and I'll give my fiver if it's bothering you that much. It's about reducing load in a window. Stop boot licking corporate overlords.

The MG4 I've ordered has an official range of 270 miles, but as mentioned that's just useless, I'm assuming/hoping that it should manage 200 miles real world most of the time. For me that should cover 99% of my trips. It's also about the level where if I do do a longer trip I can split it into 130-150 mile chunks, or about 2 hours, and it can theoretically charge quickly enough that a relatively short stop should do the job.
mg4 seems good I had read some real de user experiences the other day 70mph motorway at negative temperatures ... when is the delivery date
https://www.goingelectric.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=759&t=83784&start=20
carwow stuff - just derivative click bate stuff, without integrity of Bjorn , rory's diatribe just repetitive

This is one of those ‘theoretical’ vs reality

Crazy isn’t it, almost like the other chargers actually observe and engineer to the 500A CCS connector limit :p

Send me your PayPal and I'll give my fiver if it's bothering you that much. It's about reducing load in a window. Stop boot licking corporate overlords.
I know what it's about, the point I was making is that the system is setup in such a way that it is financially beneficial to waste energy. I don't have a problem with the scheme per se. I do have a problem with the way it has been setup which allows you TO FINANCIALLY INCENTIVISE WASTING ENERGY.

The fact that the benefit is magnified if you are fortunate enough to have an EV, home storage, a 3000 sq ft house you can waste heat through, multiple self cleaning ovens, a flexible enough work pattern to ensure you can burn energy in those key hours... is probably a distraction I shouldn't have even mentioned because it seems to have triggered you.

Thank you for your offer, please send the money here.

Final apologies for the off topic. Won't happen again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom