When are you going fully electric?

I live out in the country too and would also love to use my car less, i did use the bus to go into the nearest big town last week but it was twice the price of taking the car (£4.60 in bus fare and the car would be about £2.50 in petrol) which you can sort of justify on your own but as soon as you want to bring along the missus and your child it's just way too expensive to use public transport :( I'd imagine that's the point the previous poster made too, even somewhere like London where transit is great it still adds up quickly if there's a small group of you.

I don't know what they could do to improve the public transit around here in reality either (Anglesey in Wales) as there's literally no way to take my daughter to school or for me to get to work using public transit no matter how badly i wanted to, it feels like the whole systems needs re-thinking but that'll never happen.

but at least used EV prices are coming down now, i guess a lot of the first big wave of EV's are starting to come off lease so that should continue and enable people like me who usually spend around the £10k mark on a car to get into one soon.

Same. We have to take the car to take the kids to school or go to some of the places we need to go to just because of the distance and remoteness of it. I cycle a lot to places but it's not as quick but far more fun (unless it's raining).

As a family of 4 I don't feel too guilty using the car as we're exploiting the car's capacity to add value to our life. Other than the occasional driving holiday on the continent we tend to go to France by train. Between the 2 of us and even with my commute to work we do less than 8k miles a year.

Same. We have to take the car to take the kids to school or go to some of the places we need to go to just because of the distance and remoteness of it. I cycle a lot to places but it's not as quick but far more fun (unless it's raining).

As a family of 4 I don't feel too guilty using the car as we're exploiting the car's capacity to add value to our life. Other than the occasional driving holiday on the continent we tend to go to France by train. Between the 2 of us and even with my commute to work we do less than 8k miles a year.
Yeah i did used to cycle a bit more around here but there isn't an infrastructure for it at all, plus since i had covid a couple of years ago i can't cycle at all now and i can only walk a couple of hundred metres at most on a good day which again really limits public transport as you generally need to walk from the bus stop to wherever you need which i can't do anymore :(

It’s not shifting though is it, it’s creating load. Ie dumping hot water! No one with solar actively imports from the grid for 10days solid just incase there’s a saving day. They have already decided to contribute to solving the issue.

Put the tin hat away

Guilty as charged mlord, but only marginally
(I top up my batteries if they are going to be short that day during the likely savings session window)
Sometimes, a bit

Anyway there is a thread for how this all works...

Also waiting for an MG4, ordered mid November, Octopus tell me March to May. No more detail than that. White trophy here, how about you?

Ordered mine direct from my local MG dealer as a business lease, actually a bit cheaper than Octopus. Orange Trophy for me :)

The Japanese have started to create "red" hydrogen as an offshoot of their HTTR - if we weren't so backward with nuclear here we'd be able to generate more hydrogen effectively.

I don't think as much effort is going into hydrogen power research in this country, hydrogen or alternative to just batteries is what's really interesting to me.

'red'!!! Too many damn colours already :p

Ordered mine direct from my local MG dealer as a business lease, actually a bit cheaper than Octopus. Orange Trophy for me :)

'red'!!! Too many damn colours already :p
The octopus price took me aback a little as well until I considered that it also included everything - tyres, services, comprehensive insurance, cancellation cover, and also no upfront payment. Oh and then the tax break as well :D
Plus free charger plus 4000 miles of electrickery too

Last edited:
The octopus price took me aback a little as well until I considered that it also included everything - tyres, services, comprehensive insurance, cancellation cover, and also no upfront payment. Oh and then the tax break as well :D
Plus free charger plus 4000 miles of electrickery too

Mine is slightly different as I'm a director of a limited company (of just me...) So it's not Salary Sacrifice which includes all of that stuff but just a Business Lease as a company car and I don't think that does have either Servicing/maintenence or a charger but not 100% sure.

Just pulled some data on the Pug if anyone is interested. I haven't bothered doing a full reconciliation of "actual miles" versus charge, but roughly right for row 2:

orhS9WW.png

Edit: the 26p per mile is my E43

Last edited:
Last year during the summer my Go electric was 5p I was getting 4.2 m/kWh from my Leaf. Fuel was £2/L. It gave me an "MPG" of roughly 750mpg. Now Electric is 7.5p, car economy isn't as good over winter (3.8 av now) and fuel s £1.50 I'm only getting 350mpg :-(

Just pulled some data on the Pug if anyone is interested. I haven't bothered doing a full reconciliation of "actual miles" versus charge, but roughly right for row 2:

Edit: the 26p per mile is my E43
Just under 5p/mile is pretty good considering electricity prices right now. Are you using a time of use tariff and I seem to recall that is all from a 3 pin charger?

I'm doing about 5p/mile on my Model 3. I don't track it religiously but I'm currently on a flat rate tariff at 20p/kwh with a bit of free charging and a few rapids thrown into the mix and the free charges more than net out the rapids at the moment.

I'm a bit lost on the point you are trying to make? It looks pretty obvious that nothing happens in your house 5-6 and hence somewhat of an edge case for a household to use 0.2 kWh between 5-6pm. You were the person suggesting i used 10kWh in an hour? :confused: Infact you even accused me of illegal activities ;)

I can't not going to make excuses for being more typical in my useage which is exactly why i was the targeted user profile and responded accordingly. :)

Lol the point I was making is that the scheme isnt aimed at users like us sadly. And yes, I hadnt worked out the octo points properly when I guessed 10kw in a hour.

Just under 5p/mile is pretty good considering electricity prices right now. Are you using a time of use tariff and I seem to recall that is all from a 3 pin charger?

I'm doing about 5p/mile on my Model 3. I don't track it religiously but I'm currently on a flat rate tariff at 20p/kwh with a bit of free charging and a few rapids thrown into the mix and the free charges more than net out the rapids at the moment.
Yes 3 pin charger, hence why I often keep it topped up to 100% because I can't have a timer to stop charging. This way it stops itself because it is full before the 0730 cut off. I was paying a bit less before, but that is at 17p kWh between 0030 and 0730.

Back
Top Bottom