When are you going fully electric?

What's the current consensus on the best "one stop" option for an app or charging account with access to the biggest variety of chargers?

On the odd occasion I'm travelling far enough to stop and charge I don't really want to have to find and download a new app each time if avoidable.

Octopus electroverse looks like it covers a good few of them

Edit - accepting that chargeplace Scotland and Tesla will always be separate

It's a good question as I am no longer sure these days, last few times using public charging I just used contactless.

Shel and Octopus I think but to be honest these days I just sign up as needed, so many rapids have contactless these days, it’s the 7kw chargers that tend to need apps.

The last time I public charged that didn’t take contactless I had to sign up to SWARCO, it only took a few mins.

Last edited:
Yes, something like that.
Here's my current project. I have done both the mechanical fitting and electrical wiring:

c8wIWZn.jpg
Just because you can strip some wire and screw it down into several components designed and manufactured by someone else, to a design created by someone else, to regs set by someone else, does not make you qualified to post as if you know what you are talking about lol.

Sorry. I do apologise. Despite working in the electricity industry I had clearly forgotten that the electricity used in homes and factories was different that that to used to charge vehicles.

Of course !
Just completely different times of use e.g. most people don't heat their homes from 12 midnight to 04:30 :p [Which is when most EV's are charging, with most of it coming from wind and not gas].

There is about a 22GW difference between the electricity demand at 5-8pm and 12-5am - that's enough to power many hundreds of thousands of your cabinets !

Last edited:
What's the current consensus on the best "one stop" option for an app or charging account with access to the biggest variety of chargers?

On the odd occasion I'm travelling far enough to stop and charge I don't really want to have to find and download a new app each time if avoidable.

Octopus electroverse looks like it covers a good few of them

Edit - accepting that chargeplace Scotland and Tesla will always be separate
Don't think there is one TBH.
This is my folder of electric stuff to use if I get in a pinch.... of which I've only ever used Shell recharge outside of the supercharger network.

JSVE0a6.jpg

Is it always going to be like this with multiple apps or will they eventually all be tap and go contactless payment?
It will never go fully contactless and it will always be a myriad of apps and RFID cards. It’s significantly cheaper to use an app or RFID card and batch the payments behind the scenes. Every bit of added cost will just be passed on to the consumer via higher prices.

It’s just not cost effective to fit and maintain the hardware and software to take card payments at AC charge posts that might get 2-3 transactions a day.

It’s debatable on some rapids that might only see a handful of transactions a day.

Even a really busy rapid is going going to get 1 transaction every 30 mins from 8-8 at absolute maximum capacity.

Last edited:
It will never go fully contactless and it will always be a myriad of apps and RFID cards. It’s significantly cheaper to use an app or RFID card and batch the payments behind the scenes. Every bit of added cost will just be passed on to the consumer via higher prices.

It’s just not cost effective to fit and maintain the hardware and software to take card payments at AC charge posts that might get 2-3 transactions a day.

It’s debatable on some rapids that might only see a handful of transactions a day.

Even a really busy rapid is going going to get 1 transaction every 30 mins from 8-8 at absolute maximum capacity.
Not sure I buy this. Vending machines have contactless now, and EV folk are already agreeable with being pwnt at chargers away from home. It's just a con to try and lock people into an ecosystem and ideally (for them) create a car charging monopoly.

Anybody look at the new Volvo XE90 yet?

Looks massive, but pretty awesome specs on it, I am surprised that they have gone very Tesla style on the interior. Looks like it has massive storage under the bonnet as well, which is always welcome in a car that is designed for carrying lots of people/stuff.

Some much better pictures here, there are almost no controls on the dash etc.

Love the car but to me no physical buttons or stalks is a massive mistake done to just make the car look/feel different. It isnt better.

There isn't much not to like. The XC90 has always been a great 'proper' SUV and this doesn't look to be any different.

Perhaps just the price (£100k) and the range being a little sub par for towing, every XC90 owner I've known has also owned a caravan :p

It will be interesting to see what JLR can do with the range rover.

That is the ultra spec top of the range model with almost everything on it including autonomous driving. I am sure the lesser models will be much cheaper.

Last edited:
I struggle to understand the rationale of a performance Volvo, why give this thing all that power and limit the speed and no doubt handling ability of the machine with the safety systems, do performance and safety go hand in hand? the machine won't let you miss behave surely?

My own likes to tell me off for approaching vehicles too fast :D

Last edited:
Not sure I buy this. Vending machines have contactless now, and EV folk are already agreeable with being pwnt at chargers away from home. It's just a con to try and lock people into an ecosystem and ideally (for them) create a car charging monopoly.

So does my local car parking machine but that and vending machines are hopefully doing more than 2-3 transactions a day so the cost of the payment hardware and software is spread across a huge number of customers. 2-3 transactions a day is the reality of many AC public charge posts, particularly those that are >34p/kWh.

It’s more efficient to just not. Sure paying by card is easier but I can also see the other side of that discussion and the complexity it adds to the charge post. Particularly if you also need to add a chip reader and pin pad to make sure you can actually take the payment on a card that has exceeded its contactless limit. You also then need to defend the post against card skimming attacks.

How is it a con to lock people in? I’m not sure how paying via an App impacts that one.

What locks people in is only having posts from one company in a large geographical area and creating a local monopoly. So if you don’t like a particular provider, you have no choice other than to use it.

Conclusion from recent government ev deployment analysis - contactless has to be provided if ev chargers want subsidies(maybe licensing itself?), as proliferation of apps, was just a negative for ev uptake,
(to wit January hit on 2nd hand ev prices)
similarly, improvements demanded for their reliability, not all older people have smart phones too.

Not sure if I can post in here as it's "fully electric" but was wondering if anyone in here has real world experience with VW Passat GTE? Preferably an estate.

Going to look at a 20 plate tomorrow. My commute including school run is a few miles a day. We walk/cycle in nice weather. Weekend is almost always local. Only consistent journey for me is 200 mile round trip to Cardiff every fortnight to race toy cars. Other than the Cardiff trip, most weeks I could probably do the lot on battery?

Back
Top Bottom