When are you going fully electric?

realistically, they don't buy an ev at the moment. they can still use petrol cars for a long time.
This.
eventually hydrogen will fill the gap in the market.
I seriously doubt it. The economics just don't make sense. To the point that the existing hydrogen filling stations are actually being closed.

Last edited:
Just skimmed the thread but most of you seem to be assuming you have some where to plug in the car over night, what do people without a private drive do to recharge their cars?
Use of public chargers both free and paid when out and about. The new flats on my estate have 5 EVs parked and all must use public chargers. Its entirely possible to daily use an EV without your own charge point.

Last edited:
what's not flexible about this?
FpohlSd.png

Its the weird journeys that catch me out/ become an issue. Like driving to Penzance, you know you are stopping along the way whether it is an EV or an ICE. A day trip to the Royal International Air Tattoo? Not a chance. Ya know?

I could understand not getting a 'proper' charger if it was the other way around and we were transitioning from EV to ICE and keeping the car only a few more years, but it is the other way and all of the future cars are more than likely to be BEV's - where is the negative in getting something more capable, other than a cost that will end up being an appliance cost like any other convenience device.
Because it is a grand that for a lot of folks EV usage means they gain nothing. Maybe if sparks weren't extorting I'd get one.

Also the warranty is garbage. Even my washing machine which does way more and works much harder has a longer warranty.

Last edited:
all the surplus electricty from windpower has to go somewhere - hydrogen is what shell are betting on in the Netherlands, initially for commercial use;

what are formula ones plans ? it's not going to become the pinup for battery cars, but rather than bio fuel would hydrogen(+buffer battery) give the range

all the surplus electricty from windpower has to go somewhere - hydrogen is what shell are betting on in the Netherlands, initially for commercial use;

what are formula ones plans ? it's not going to become the pinup for battery cars, but rather than bio fuel would hydrogen(+buffer battery) give the range

Yup, its into car batteries but first of all it will be exported to places that are not as windy. We are not saying that renewables will not be used to make hydrogen, what we are saying this that hydrogen will not be used in cars. There are so many other better uses for green hydrogen, first of all is getting rid of brown/blue/<insert any other colour than green here> hydrogen from the market. That alone will need copious amount of surplus green energy that simply isn't produced at the moment and that is before taking the fossil fuel based generation out of the grid mix.

Formula One has no analogue with road cars at all, even the fuel they use is very different. The 2035 ban does not cover Formula One either...

This.

I seriously doubt it. The economics just don't make sense. To the point that the existing hydrogen filling stations are actually being closed.

The shell place was old and too much work to upgrade to the latest requirements. Would read into it too much.

Hydrogen is a great way to ‘burn’ electrons

Yep, I didn't say hydrogen wouldn't have uses :p just that it won't have use in FCEVs - they're half as efficient as BEVs in "well-to-wheel" terms. We need to be reducing energy demand as well as making energy generation cleaner.

A balance of hydrogen generation from excess renewable energy will be used in the future, with stored gases used for some generation to fill in gaps between nuclear and renewables.

Its the weird journeys that catch me out/ become an issue. Like driving to Penzance, you know you are stopping along the way whether it is an EV or an ICE. A day trip to the Royal International Air Tattoo? Not a chance. Ya know?

If you PLAN the day out its absolutely fine. Been there, done that.
There is a 50kW shell recharge in Cirencester just off the A417
Or book a table at one of the restaurants at cotswold waterpark and the car can sit on charge outside for a couple of hours while you eat. Simples.

5's current rapid (80s was it) charge rate, is meant to be down to need to tune for lifecycle of LFP batteries, a phase tesla went through too, so should be software improved.

Shell even article today saying how shell diverting their investments

Anyone have experience with an MG ev4 or ev5? Looking at both (MG ev5 preferred choice).
The MG4 is the better car, it’s just whether the form factor works for you or not.

One downside of the MG5, well around here anyway is that it’s the sort of car private hire places would buy to use as taxi.

Back
Top Bottom