When are you going fully electric?

If you PLAN the day out its absolutely fine. Been there, done that.
There is a 50kW shell recharge in Cirencester just off the A417
Or book a table at one of the restaurants at cotswold waterpark and the car can sit on charge outside for a couple of hours while you eat. Simples.
Well yea, duhh - but I don't want to waste another 80 quid on a meal because my poxy car can't do a simple day trip in a one-er.

Yes I planned a day trip the other day. It’s was fine as I found some oil to get out the ground. Then I refined it into fuel and it wasn’t an issue because PLAN

Mazda CX-5 - 42mpg was £25k
New Mazda CX-5 " now £35k
Mazda CX60 ? hybrid £52k same spec (slightly larger car)
That's a BIG cost difference for I expect ~same running costs)

£15k difference is a lot to pay.

Last edited:
I drove the Y, I'd take the Mazda. :D CX-60 can be had far cheaper, £52k is absolute top of the range with options, you don't need to pay that, even the base one has its plus points.

Last edited:
Liking the look of the new Hypervolt 3. They seem to get really good reviews for compactness and ease of install.

(Charger, not car, but OMG, I'd buy an EV called the HyperVolt 3 in a heart beat :D )

Last edited:
I have the 2.0, I’d say it’s fine and does the job. The firmware was a bit wonky in the early days but they seem to have sorted it now.

The 3 is the same as the 2 from the outside, the inside has slightly different internals due to new government regulations. I think the 3 has capacity for an extra ct clamp but functionally it’s basically the same.

There are a few obvious features which are missing from the solar integration though. For example you have to manually switch it between solar and the regular charge mode. You should be able to set to to hoover up any excess solar energy and then automatically do it’s normal scheduled charge at full power without having to remember to change it but you can’t. If you forget, your car will not charge overnight.

Any figures on how many people are going back to ICE after trying electric? I've looked but mostly on YouTube and you generally get BEV haters pitching their agenda I just wanted to know facts if there are any

I don't even know where you would start to get such figures.
A household could swap an EV and ICE between husband and wife as the EV takes on the daily short trips as husband didn't get on using it for long distance - not measured. >99% of the population do not do YouTube videos and as you state those that do are usually driving their own narrative.

Guess I'm one of few on my second EV?

Last edited:
Liking the look of the new Hypervolt 3. They seem to get really good reviews for compactness and ease of install.

(Charger, not car, but OMG, I'd buy an EV called the HyperVolt 3 in a heart beat :D )

We have a hypervolt 3. We're on a flat tariff (still locked in to a good deal for another 6 months so no point changing), and don't have solar, so we use it completely dumb. Looks better than most chargers, just works, can't fault it

Any figures on how many people are going back to ICE after trying electric? I've looked but mostly on YouTube and you generally get BEV haters pitching their agenda I just wanted to know facts if there are any
There will be some but I doubt there are significant numbers. It will also be for a range of reasons and not everyone going back is because they had a bad experience or it didn’t work for them. For example, they may move job and lose their salary sacrifice/company car or they just want a last hurrah in a 911 before it becomes a pain in the behind to own.

I guess the only way you could know if from survey sampling.

Why do you want to know?

There will be some but I doubt there are significant numbers. It will also be for a range of reasons and not everyone going back is because they had a bad experience or it didn’t work for them. For example, they may move job and lose their salary sacrifice/company car or they just want a last hurrah in a 911 before it becomes a pain in the behind to own.

I guess the only way you could know if from survey sampling.

Why do you want to know?

I'm just curious with the cost of charging and the cost of buying a BEV plus the cost of living how many will go back to an older ICE car

Not just cost but also the convenience of owning an ICE car

I'm just curious with the cost of charging and the cost of buying a BEV plus the cost of living how many will go back to an older ICE car

Not just cost but also the convenience of owning an ICE car
I'll definitely be going back to ICE; but that's a function of trying to get out of the leasing game and into ownership again.

I'll definitely be going back to ICE; but that's a function of trying to get out of the leasing game and into ownership again.
That's another thing that got me thinking about it, I own my 2015 car. Paid £176 for mot and service yesterday, no advisories for 4th year running.
Other than tax which is £140ish insurance which is £200ish and fuel that's it, its cheap to own

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom