When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I was pleasantly surprised by used prices of things like a 3 year old e-Golf and Ioniq (facelift) when I looked recently - if you just need a runabout and aren’t doing a lot of miles you have a lot more options than just the Zoe and Leaf now.

120ah i3S’s start from around £15k now (94ah and the non S obviously cheaper) as well which is actually tempting as a first EV. Polarising looks but ideal for someone like me where 90% of my driving is short drives to work, the gym, shopping and an occasional sub 100 mile round trip to one of the ’London’ airports

Last edited:
Soldato
Having had the Pug e2008 since July last year, and put almost 4k of the worst kind of miles on in that time (school runs, tip runs, pseudo-van usage) - I am definitely in favour of replacing with a second hand EV once it comes off of lease. Unless of course I get tempted by whatever salary sacrifice is around then :D

Soldato
I was pleasantly surprised by used prices of things like a 3 year old e-Golf and Ioniq (facelift) when I looked recently - if you just need a runabout and aren’t doing a lot of miles you have a lot more options than just the Zoe and Leaf now.

120ah i3S’s start from around £15k now (94ah and the non S obviously cheaper) as well which is actually tempting as a first EV. Polarising looks but ideal for someone like me where 90% of my driving is short drives to work, the gym, shopping and an occasional sub 100 mile round trip to one of the ’London’ airports
abasolutely a lot more choice than a leaf now if you are in the 15k bracket..... i mentioned the zoe and leaf because they are around 5 to 7k bracket however, which is pretty much as cheap as you can go at the moment for an EV.
I love the I3 - my mate had one for years and is definitely my current choice for replacing our 2nd car (unless i win the lottery and can afford a Taycan)

we also looked at an ioniq as well another cracking car.... we decided it wasnt the best fit for us, whilst it is a great car. it fell between 2 camps and satisfied neither (over kill for the wifes runaround, too short range and not quite large enough to replace the holiday car)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Never known a Buzz being a delivery van?

Really? They literally sell a commercial version of it. It looks almost exactly the same, but is a van rather than a car so no rear seats.

There is even a big picture of somebody using it as a delivery van on the Volkswagen site :D

Last edited:
Soldato
They even sell a Defender commercial, does that mean I deliver parcels too. . Never seen an Amazon driver in a T5 let alone a Buzz.

Honestly what a clown you are Fox. A cunning stunt.

The windows on the side are the clue it’s not the cargo variant BTW darling. There’s someone on an advert with high levels of self importance no doubt driving the UK motorway network in a diesel 5 series to…

Last edited:
Soldato
whilst i am certain it would make an excellent delivery van... it seems a bit over kill to me.

a bit like a ferrari could be a great organ donor delivery vehicle, but you could probably achieve the same goal just as well but in a far cheaper vehicle.

i may be wrong - going from memory - but i think BYD make the majority of electric commercial vehicles at the moment. I think they even specced out a special model just for amazon, but i may be getting confused with a different company.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Really? They literally sell a commercial version of it. It looks almost exactly the same, but is a van rather than a car so no rear seats.

There is even a big picture of somebody using it as a delivery van on the Volkswagen site :D
It’s got 5 seats. Don’t get why you posted some snidey comment tbh. Insecure ?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What an over-reaction to what was just a joke. I know very well he isn't delivering parcels and that the car in the photo is not the Cargo version. It was a joke.

A joke based on the fact it does look very much like a van (and weighs as much as a commercial vehicle too).

It's not even your car is it, so I can't understand why you've taken it so personally.

Insecure ?

Must be this :confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just don’t understand why it’s funny either.

I’ve never driven a car that’s had so much attention. Random people asking about it or thumbs up on the motorway.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a shame they blew the "one shot" firework moment they had a car that looks great but doesn't quite fulfil/reignite the same joy as the original (or even the California) - thinking purely from an actual usability PoV. It obviously looks the nuts!

Soldato
I have my eye on the Ford Explorer EV for later in the year/early next year, subject to test drive and reviews. Should be able to get it through Salary Sacrifice at work but it is a shame the government is not really incentivising (or offering better tax breaks) like the states do.

Caporegime
I have my eye on the Ford Explorer EV for later in the year/early next year, subject to test drive and reviews. Should be able to get it through Salary Sacrifice at work but it is a shame the government is not really incentivising (or offering better tax breaks) like the states do.
Do they pay for the car gross like here or net with a subsidy? I know what I would prefer.

Lol at not better tax breaks. You literally pay as little as 55% of the cost via SS

Caporegime
But there's no tax breaks or incentive for anything other than a company lease. Not everyone wants to lease a car...
I was replying in the context of the post above. But yes for Joe Public without access all new cars are expensive especially ICE, especially with higher borrowing costs.

Soldato
Do they pay for the car gross like here or net with a subsidy? I know what I would prefer.

Lol at not better tax breaks. You literally pay as little as 55% of the cost via SS

There are incentives for investments like EIS, VCT and SEIS that are tax reducers, acting in the same way as US rebates. It is just a shame the government has not considered it here to promote ownership. As Sinbad said, the Salary Sacrifice is just for lease.

Salary sacrifice is gross so you save tax at your marginal rate of income tax plus National Insurance (20%+12%, 40+2% or 45%+2%). There is a Benefit in Kind tax adjustment based on the list price of the car which gets added back in though. Broadly it means if you were paying £300 a month for a car loan and earned £60k a year it would be the equivalent of £520ish a month in lease payments.

Caporegime
For me it’s not about fuel costs it’s the cost of the vehicle itself, can’t justify it yet.

Its 2 things for me.

-Range
-cost

Both will come. Over time but it's so far off at the moment I don't even keep up to date with the progress in much detail.

As new eVs don't even have the range, it's a long time before I can get a second hand one with enough range!

Last edited:
Associate
I've had a taycan ct for 18+months now, hasnt been totally smooth sailing with a lot of recalls and trips to dealer in first 6 months but cars been solid since. As a mode of transport its lovely, but I do love getting back in my fast petrol cars with gears.

Associate
Its 2 things for me.

-Range
-cost

Both will come. Over time but it's so far off at the moment I don't even keep up to date with the progress in much detail.

As new eVs don't even have the range, it's a long time before I can get a second hand one with enough range!
What range are you looking for? How far to do you travel and how often ?

Back
Top Bottom