When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Good news, the entire Tesla Supercharger team hasn't been fired (in the UK anyway), the Thetford supercharger just reopened with 16 V4 stalls (up from 8 V2).

It only took nearly 3 years to get the additional grid connection for that expansion. :cry:

Soldato
Good news, the entire Tesla Supercharger team hasn't been fired (in the UK anyway), the Thetford supercharger just reopened with 16 V4 stalls (up from 8 V2).

It only took nearly 3 years to get the additional grid connection for that expansion. :cry:

If it was a government backed initiative it would have taken at least double that, and probably been cancelled just before it opened. :cry:

Soldato
Currently sunning myself in Majorca and it's interesting to see how charging has been put in on an island where there simply isn't enough distance to cover to need quick motorway top ups.

Loads of car parks and supermarkets etc. have charging points and quite a proportion of the new cars are EV or PHEV.

Microcars are very much a thing, all be it still just a few percent of cars (as a guesstimate) here so it will be interesting to see if there is uptake for any of the new EV microcars on the market. Also seen quite a few Silence mopeds as well which shouldn't be a surprise given their Spanish origin. Personally I think their removable 'battery in a trolley' solution is very neat. Their Microcar uses the same setup all be it with two batteries which is a bit more faff. Still, good to see a mix of solutions.

Soldato
Taking delivery of a Tesla MYP in a couple of weeks, probably not the best time to get one with the chances of a refresh coming fairly soon but our EQC lease is up and needed a replacement, for what you get seem good value to me and i quite like the look of the Y. Got it in Quicksilver which is a bit of a ripoff but not seen any yet in that colour so should be a little different for a while

Soldato
Currently sunning myself in Majorca and it's interesting to see how charging has been put in on an island where there simply isn't enough distance to cover to need quick motorway top ups.

Loads of car parks and supermarkets etc. have charging points and quite a proportion of the new cars are EV or PHEV.

Microcars are very much a thing, all be it still just a few percent of cars (as a guesstimate) here so it will be interesting to see if there is uptake for any of the new EV microcars on the market. Also seen quite a few Silence mopeds as well which shouldn't be a surprise given their Spanish origin. Personally I think their removable 'battery in a trolley' solution is very neat. Their Microcar uses the same setup all be it with two batteries which is a bit more faff. Still, good to see a mix of solutions.
I'm going mid July, not been for a couple of years but remember last time I was there it was like a novelty seeing a ev charger, and everyone i did see was empty :)

Soldato
The GoGoro solution IMO is much nicer.
Yeah that looks very neat for places that are all packed cities and apartments etc.

I guess the choice of being able to charge on the bike, remove and charge at home or swap out at a station seems to offer the best of all worlds to my mind. I guess in reality most people will only ever end up doing one of those options the vast majority of the time.

Soldato
Yeah that looks very neat for places that are all packed cities and apartments etc.

I guess the choice of being able to charge on the bike, remove and charge at home or swap out at a station seems to offer the best of all worlds to my mind. I guess in reality most people will only ever end up doing one of those options the vast majority of the time.

I just love the way the swap stations are more like a vending machines and the batteries are easily manageable without fuss. The also do a mobile charger to connect to your scooter/bike and also an in home version, that can charge two batteries in a home/office, much like you do with your power tools.

Soldato
Well it looks like Musks decision to fire the 500 strong supercharger team was a boneheaded decision after all, seemingly by his own admission….

It’s being widely reported that most of them are being rehired.

What an epic fail. Turns out you need a supercharger team to deliver the planned expansions to the network….

Soldato
Well it looks like Musks decision to fire the 500 strong supercharger team was a boneheaded decision after all, seemingly by his own admission….

What an epic fail. Turns out you need a supercharger team to deliver the planned expansions to the network….
At what point does he become a liability rather than an asset and they should try to force him out? ***

*** I have no idea if that would even be practical but given the nonsense around twitter and his polarizing outbursts, the way he treats his staff and now stuff like this..... it does make me wonder if they would be better off without him.

Would need the other large shareholders to vote (force) him out in most likely case, others exist but pretty fringe. Bearing in mind Musk has over 20% himself that would require quite a consolidation of people against him.
The large blocks (typically pensions investors via large financial firms etc) will move if he damages it too badly, but you have to remember there are also plenty of cultists holding shares so its a tricky one to see actually happening now.

Soldato
Musk domestic profits should be looking up with Bidens new ev tarifs, conversely, will be even more of those chinese imigrants at eu/uk shores, until Ursula also puts brakes on.
(erratic behaviour that would be the wegovy side-effects)

Soldato
Musk isn’t a majority shareholder so he could be forced out but as MKW says, it would need a lot of big movers for it to happen. There are a lot of retail shareholder well into him, he also has a number of close allies with shareholdings to currently back him.

It will be interesting to see what happens with his remuneration, that is in effect a big confidence vote.

Caporegime
My Cupra is on a SS with Zenith, interesting on their newsletter i read today. I'm aware of a few people offered to extend their 3 yrs to 4 years at same cost and i probably would if offered as the same car now is about 20% more than what i pay

Most new cars are sold though such SS schemes
  • The Battery electric vehicle (BEV) fleet comprised 39%1 of the funded fleet and 42%1 of the order bank at 31 December 2023.
  • Average termination profit per vehicle down 37% YTD YoY on current weakness in used vehicle prices, both for BEV and ICE vehicles.
  • New initiative launched to extend the current BEV fleet with existing drivers, mitigating inflation of their lease costs and our RV risk.

The also have their last survey, quite interesting

EV OWNERS ADMIT THEY COULDN’T SURVIVE WITHOUT HOME CHARGING

• Only 14% of EV drivers are using public charging points as their main energy source. The vast majority (69%) primarily charge off-street at home, raising questions about “the driveway divide” between those who have off-street parking and those who do not.
  • Over half (52%) of UK electric vehicle (EV) drivers say they would face significant difficulties relying solely on the public charging network.
  • Despite this, drivers remain optimistic about the future for EV adoption in the UK, with over four-fifths (82%) saying they expect charging infrastructure to improve over the next three years.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Rehired on a different contract no doubt ?

Soldato
Rehired on a different contract no doubt ?
Not so sure, they’d have the company over a barrel given they actually need them back to function and that institutional knowledge isn’t replaceable. Particularly in the US where you are dealing with 52 different states which all have their own way of doing things.

I’d be expecting to be on at least the same T&C’s as before plus to be paid for all of the period I was fired.

Don’t forget BP had publicly started sniffing around and no doubt the other networks in the US started reaching out. I have no doubts these are the sorts of people who would be well connected on linked in.

Caporegime
BP results state they plan to spend £100m on the Tesla hardware in any case. But yes would have been a decent acquisition for US with the adoption of NACs there

Back
Top Bottom