When I was a youngster..

Caporegime
When I was a kid, I could always get out of bed in the morning to watch the TV as long as it was turned way down. But some families were very strict on this, and I remember staying at my cousins and he used to say you can't get out of bed unless the parents were up. So if it was 8 you had to stay in bed till 10 as they hadn't woken up. Did anyone have parents like this?

Soldato
Not me. But I did notice friends parents who seemed overly organised.

What as happened to kids cartoons these days. Most seem to be on in the early hours or pushed off onto a channel nobody watches.

I suspect not many kids are watching cartoons these days. No wonder they grow up to fast.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But I did notice friends parents who seemed overly organised.

I had one friend whose parents were stiff and formal, completely humourless, for some reason had separate bedrooms but weren't separated or estranged as such. Went over to play and he was only allowed to watch TV at a very precise time and duration, etc. everything was very regimented. I got the impression they had no clue really how to parent and probably didn't intend to have kids.

In contrast with my parents being relatively laid back, though not lazy, it was quite odd. There was never any big deal about when I did or didn't get up. Can't say I was given to watching cartoons, most didn't interest me - if I was up before my parents my consumption was probably more DIY related or something like that :s

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
There are parents who can get their children to stay in bed until 10? My 3 siblings and I were always up at 6 watching power rangers and thunder cats :p

Yes, my cousin's parents were like this, as were one of my friends when I was 9 years old.. Don't get out of bed, mum will be angry he'd say

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Tiwas and when I got older the big breakfast which is possibly one of the best TV shows ever.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
We didn't have a TV until I was older, but I remember never to disturb my parents until after 10am where then I'd take them a brew in bed. It wasn't every weekend as they were often working but I had a lot of freedom growing up so long as I didn't get in the way of their needs after a hard weeks work. Worked for me.

Hopefully when my boys (5&2) are older they will offer me similar personal space when needed, but I'd also wanna get up and be a part of their life too. There's just no room for being ill or burnt out when they're this age.

Soldato
I remember, up early for the cartoons and kids stuff. Round the twist was my favourite, I can still remember the theme song today.

Sunday evenings it was bullseye, airwolf and a-team.

Proper family time, now everyone is in their own room glued to a phone or console.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom