• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When is OcUK getting 2500K in stock?

No reseller is ever going to admit publically that he is selling 'grey' stock, although quite a few big names have been caught doing so in the past.

Look at the mobile phone market for some good examples of this... and no, I am not going to mention any names, but it has happened before, and it will definately happen again! :(

As the expression goes 'let the buyer beware'! ;)

Be aware of those advertising with no stock on pre-order as Intel have clearly stated to us they won't only not be getting stock but any stock they do sell will be grey un-official stock and Intel won't support it, so could cause warranty issues.

No disrespect to OCUK but why would a giant corporation like Intel limit their launch stock to a single (relatively small) online store?

Musta missed something cos it sounds like people are buying them from ocuk yet website shows empty list lol

Anyhow will patiently wait too see what Ocuk Sandybridge bundles will be on offer :)

It kind of wasn't meant to as far as I understand. It requires the built in GPU, and the P67's don't use the built in GPU.

It's not an oversight, more of a choice you've got to make. Overclocking and no GPU or GPU and limited overclocking.

Another motherboard will be released which allows both. It's a bit stupid, but doesn't affect people who have dedicated cards...

It kind of wasn't meant to as far as I understand. It requires the built in GPU, and the P67's don't use the built in GPU.

It's not an oversight, more of a choice you've got to make. Overclocking and no GPU or GPU and limited overclocking.

Another motherboard will be released which allows both. It's a bit stupid, but doesn't affect people who have dedicated cards...

Quick Sync is the part which enables the apparently fast encoding. It's the kind of thing people who want to overclock are likely also going to want.

Sort of... but also sort of not.

For example, for me, I'm going to use CUDA. It's still faster to encode on it than current CPU's anyway (in the same price brackets).

But I don't think anyone should upgrade from something like an I7 920 anyway.

Quick Sync is the part which enables the apparently fast encoding. It's the kind of thing people who want to overclock are likely also going to want.

I suspect the Z68 based motherboards will cost more than the P67 based ones. It sounds like Intel is trying to make as much money as possible out of enthusiasts. Firstly,pay more for overclocking and remove overclocking from cheaper CPUs and secondly if you want to have the full feature set of your £140+ CPU and want to overclock then pay even more.

It is frankly pathetic that a £100 P67 motherboard cannot utilise the full feature set of a £150 CPU.

With,socket 1156 you only had two chipsets which both could be used for overclocking.

The fact is with an unlocked multiplier and the lower power consumption of the newer CPUs an expensive motherboard is really not needed TBH and it is only Intel artificially jacking up the price.

Last edited:
No disrespect to OCUK but why would a giant corporation like Intel limit their launch stock to a single (relatively small) online store?

Were Intels largest UK customer (Etail) on certain processor lines, I7 980X and I7 950 been two of them.

So when it comes to a new part, thats high-end, believe it or not we get upmost support from Intel. Thats why we have 1000+ Sandybridge in stock, our competitors have no stock, fact. They are listing on pre-order and Intel have stated they won't ever be supporting such companies who try to dis-rupt their new launch for a high-end CPU.

I am even communicating with Intel right now because its a joke that competitors who are not even a 10th of our size of listing these products in an attempt to get pre-orders when they won't be able to deliver in a timely manner.

We are not the only customer to get stock, but Intel have several direct customers in the UK and those customers get stock allocated to them and their biggest customers get the stock pre-launch so they can build system and do testing. This is why OcUK already has stock because were one of those bigger customers.

Well I assume all the etailers would still list '3 year warranty' or whatever so it's quite serious if they don't honour that warranty due to it being imported.

If the Etailor says its 3yr warranty, they have to honor it, just screengrab it so if anything uneventful did happen you have screenshot evidence of it been otherwise, I'd also print it out with a date on it as well.

Grey stock happens but if its grey stock as in its been purchased from a UK system integrator and was originally meant for UK/Europe market this is fine. :)

Bad grey stock is that meant for another region, like Asia, US etc. sometimes this can creep through and into the channel but we buy our stock from trusted sources who are either Intel authorised or from a source that purchases from an Intel authorised source. We do our upmost to avoid anything other than this as Intel would not honor the warranty which is not good for customer and would also cost us a lot of money too.

The worse form of grey stock is vat fraud stock, normally comes from traders/suppliers you never heard of so OcUK tries it upmost to avoid these but I've experienced other companies who do not and even try to find it simply so they can so way cheaper than anyone else. OcUK avoid that, competitors doing so might think they are smart now, but they will come a cropper at somepoint and at that point they will probably go bust.

Gibbo my bestest buddy in the whole world, I ordered... I'm in the warehouse queue... will I get it sent out tomorrows? :p

If the warehouse guys/gals did not get it out today it will go tomorrow, as we told Intel we'd ship the orders as its not our customers should not get punished for a mistake not by OcUK and they said fine.

So about 50-60 of you by the weekend will be using Sandy Bridge. :D

Back
Top Bottom