• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Man of Honour
Nuclear is old school jank

solar is the future and it's here - covering just 10% of the Sahara desert in solar panels will supply all of Europes energy, covering another 5% will supply all of Africas

As usual with "renewables will solve everything" advocacy, that's assuming perfect functioning and perfect weather conditions 24/7/365 in every part of every area covered by the solar power stations. Which is not reality.

Also...how would you keep 1,380,000 square kilometres of solar panels clean? Especially in a desert with very little water. Is it even possible to build 1,380,000 square kilometres of solar power station? Plus all the infrastructure required to support it.

Then there's the issue of distribution across numerous countries. And the issue of building power stations and infrastructure in active war zones. And the issue of who should pay for it and who should own the electricity produced. And the issue that the countries controlling it would have de facto control over all the countries using it.

I'm sure there are some renewables advocates who are knowledgable and honest about it. But they don't seem to get much exposure.

Associate
Nuclear is old school jank

solar is the future and it's here - covering just 10% of the Sahara desert in solar panels will supply all of Europes energy, covering another 5% will supply all of Africas
Don't tell the big companies, but one of the big attractions of solar and wind are that they can be local. Preferably at least partially owned by the local community.

Centralising it all is a bad idea and the Sahara isn't even politically stable enough.

Soldato
As usual with "renewables will solve everything" advocacy, that's assuming perfect functioning and perfect weather conditions 24/7/365 in every part of every area covered by the solar power stations. Which is not reality.

Also...how would you keep 1,380,000 square kilometres of solar panels clean? Especially in a desert with very little water. Is it even possible to build 1,380,000 square kilometres of solar power station? Plus all the infrastructure required to support it.

Then there's the issue of distribution across numerous countries. And the issue of building power stations and infrastructure in active war zones. And the issue of who should pay for it and who should own the electricity produced. And the issue that the countries controlling it would have de facto control over all the countries using it.

I'm sure there are some renewables advocates who are knowledgable and honest about it. But they don't seem to get much exposure.

Exactly. People just don't understand anything about these markets. This renewable hype is almost religious-like, but in reality we can see how it played out as it was perfectly exemplified by Germany's idiotic approach vs France's nuclear push. People need to ask themselves more question about what, how and why, and then look at the already available facts. Sadly tho I just expect higher prices from a continued renewables push. Big oil&gas made their money, now it's time for Big Green to make some green as well. :)

https://jancovici.com/en/energy-tra...electricity-at-no-extra-cost-a-piece-of-cake/

Man of Honour
renewables isnt *only* solar you know

No, really? There was me thinking that those wind turbines were art installations! Live and learn!

Wind has already been covered. As has geothermal. And tidal. Granted, I did only cover ground level wind turbines. But I can cover other types if you want. Some are interesting. None are useful, but some are interesting. Using kites, for example, in order to make use of the generally more reliable wind higher up.

Tell me about the renewables that are reliable, controllable, available worldwide, scalable to grid scale...i.e. even potentially usable as a way of generating electricity for a country. I've been looking into renewables since I first read about Salter's work maybe 40 years ago, but I'm open to the possibility that I've missed an entire kind of renewable that completely unlike all the other kinds.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Really? Who said that? I didn't see that post. Can you provide a post number or something?

Oh you mean this: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35128632/

Which barely exists in reality, so I ignored it. It's mostly theoretical and it's extremely expensive and nobody knows how best to do it and it blocks essential shipping lanes. On top of that, it's not controllable. Even King **** couldn't control the tides!

It has been talked about decades ago, at least I remember reading up about it and how I thought it should be implemented asap, now here we are dismissing all renewables yet pondering over how we need to fire up coal stations or pay France for energy!

A quick google search returns top hit of a PDF covering it well enough.

Try not to distort the discussion about what is available with just: its never going to work, its impractical negativity.

Plenty of options for the UK to invest and get a rocket up their holes.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Obviously not, since that post doesn't say "tidal is nothing". But we both knew that already.

We also both already know that humans can't control tides and why that matters in this context.

We can't power a functioning modern society on false dichotomies and an ignorant misinterpretation of a millenia-old legend. The whole point of the story was that the king couldn't control the tide. It's as bad as the other fairy story of renewables, i.e. that perfect weather conditions exist everywhere at all times.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
What are you on about? Your distorted arguing ability knows no bounds...

Some facts about tidal power:
  • Easily predictable
  • Reliable
  • ~80% efficient
  • produces no waste
Why are you taking the high and mighty stance on this like your some form of expert? You seem to think we will build one in the Bristol Channel then expect it to run the whole nation! :cry:

While we accept renewables are not the mythical solution to energy demands, you cant expect any solution to be perfect. It is far easier to sit on your high horse and just dismiss anything people post, which is all your doing, strange person.

Man of Honour
[..]
Why are you taking the high and mighty stance on this like your some form of expert? You seem to think we will build one in the Bristol Channel then expect it to run the whole nation! :cry:

Feel free to try to show any evidence to support that bizarre claim you've just made.

Rhetorical, of course. I know you can't.

Incidentally, Pentland Firth is potentially a far better site for tidal than the Bristol channel.

While we accept renewables are not the mythical solution to energy demands, you cant expect any solution to be perfect. It is far easier to sit on your high horse and just dismiss anything people post, which is all your doing, strange person.

Which, "obviously", is why I've said repeatedly that renewables have a part to play in electricity generation. Just not the mythical and perfect and problem-free complete solution they're usually portrayed as being.

Man of Honour
So how about those GPU prices, huh?

We could use the fans on the coolers as wind power to generate all the electricity humanity needs!

GPU prices aren't likely to change any time soon, so it's a thread that's in suspended animation. Or dead - maybe prices will never go down again and graphics cards become de facto mining cards with a niche market for wealthy hobbyists in a tiny gaming platform served mainly by console ports that don't use the graphics cards effectively anyway.

Associate
after the claims AMD made about having better stock than nvidia for the launch last year i dont believe here at all. i hope im wrong buut yeah cant see it helping much.
Well, what can an CEO say?

We are severely supply constrained and can't meet demand. Meantime we adjusted prices and our margins have gone up a bit, but total sales and total profits will be less than the demand for products would allow.
Meantime, we are prioritising our lowest margins customers, Sony and Microsoft, because of "reasons"

That's not likely to impress shareholders aside from the increased margins.

Back
Top Bottom