• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
6600XT are in stock in very good numbers globally.
Not supprising really considering the high prices and relatively weak performance, almost up to £500 now for what is essentially the same performance as the 2 year old 5700XT which started around £350. People at the lower end of the market are also more budget conscious and less keen to overpay.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Not supprising really considering the high prices and relatively weak performance, almost up to £500 now for what is essentially the same performance as the 2 year old 5700XT which started around £350. People at the lower end of the market are also more budget conscious and less keen to overpay.

Which is why if you cannot turtle up with your current GPU you better be prepared to pay for a meaty card to get any performance gains this gen!

--or trade your 5700XT for a new card hoping some miner will swap.

Soldato

Nvida have the same equations as well, the actual in stock RTX 3060ti cards are near £650 and RTX 3060 are nearly £550 for the AIB cards.

Man of Honour

I think the core of the problem is that the last year has proven that it's profitable to sell graphics cards at double already high MSRPs. Where's the incentive to reduce prices? Volume, maybe, but it would have to be a massive increase in volume to make the same profit.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
6600XT are in stock in very good numbers globally.

and at launch where they made claims they where better positioned than nvidia and would have loads of stock ????

and the current price for the low end cars is even more of a rip off than the top end, at least at the top end they have improved over the previous gen. and yes nvidia is in the same boat.

as for what can a ceo say, how about be honest as stating supplies going to get better and if it doesnt could be seen as trying to fudge the share price which could get her in some bother possibly.

Associate
That's an odd point of view. Why do you think it's true?

Sorry that was meant to be my blasé sarcastic summary of you shooting down almost all renewables!

While I acknowledge that especially wind can be unpredictable, with how cheap especially onshore is and how quickly it can be deployed compared to nuclear, for instance, there really isn't any excuse.

Keep the gas and nuclear as top up. Storing excess electricity from wind or solar is tricky, but even simple decentralised genuine smart metres with smart boilers or storage heating could be part of that.

And pumped stored hydro doesn't have that much to do with what happened with one of the world's worst build dam which was possibly built during the Great Leap Backward where other crazy ideas of the Emperor's New Clothes (Mao) where to melt tons of good iron goods into poor **** (micro village furnances), kill all songbirds, create a Mao-made famine, and other crazy ideas.

Soldato
Copper Foil Shortages Could Drive Motherboard and GPU Prices Upwards

Today, we got another report about the potential problems with motherboards and graphics cards. At the moment of writing, the global supply chain of electronics is still under the shortage caused by the lack of sufficient supply of semiconductors and some other electronic components that cannot meet demand. There is a reported scarcity of copper and copper-clad laminates (CCLs), used as a base plate for manufacturing printed circuit boards (PCBs) that power every electronics product currently available. According to DigiTimes, the costs of copper foils used to make these CCLs are rising, putting significant pressure on motherboard and GPU makers to increase their price quotes.

As the materials used to create motherboards and GPUs are experiencing rising costs, that usually results in two types of actions taken by the manufacturer: a price increase or a reduced profit margin of the product. Copper pricing has risen by 35% since Q4 2020, so price growth is inevitable. With the increased MSRP representing a common trend in the computer industry for the past period, it could very easily translate into manufacturers boosting their pricing structure. That means that we, as consumers, could see higher prices of motherboards and graphics cards, especially those models with PCBs made out of high amount of copper layers.

Soldato
A GPU uses about 50p worth of copper so I guess with copper increasing by 35% that's and extra 17p but then AIB will add on a another £100.

Soldato
copper is going through the roof at my local metal recyclers. infact, most precious metals are.

i can't ever see GPU's coming down to original msrp prices, they have increased and will stay increased imo. some of my suppliers have said shortages well into 2022.

Last edited:
Associate
I had my 3080 order cancelled (another site) after a day on release. I'm glad I nabbed a Ps5 last year for mrsp. Still rocking my 290x. It's been an amazing buy.

Associate
Not expecting things to return to 'normal' for a good long time, if ever. I think the price goalposts will end up being permanently moved (though not to the current crazy levels they are...). A year in on this madness now and I have basically decided to sit this one out until next fall. Prices and availability may not be better then, but at least in that scenario if I am getting gouged for 100% markups, I should have a card that will have plenty of oomph to last me 5-7 years (using 4K/100+ hz as a minimum threshold).

Man of Honour
A GPU uses about 50p worth of copper so I guess with copper increasing by 35% that's and extra 17p but then AIB will add on a another £100.

As a special sale price offer, with 100 cards available worldwide at that "low" price :)

Does anyone know the materials cost for a graphics card? I'm sure it's a trivial proportion of the total cost of making one and transporting it to a customer (so variations in material costs shouldn't have any significant effect on the price of the card), but now I'm curious. A quick look online only showed me wildly varying guesses.

Back
Top Bottom