• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Gameplay footage in the trailer looks blocky which is strange as rest of the trailer parts look fine... Wondering if youtube compression or just them capturing gameplay with poor settings, but rest of the trailer seems fine the pre rendered stuff..
That's as much down to mocap and 3D modelling/rendering of the non game play parts being 'high quality' versus the 'in game' content (models, textures etc) being rather average to low res in relative terms. Basically the animated 'story' wasn't rendered in the same way as the game parts and ends up being far better than what the game will be.... just think of it like a mobile game advert showing this brilliant trailer but you end up playing another candy crush clone lol

Associate
Yeah it's not even remotely surprising this is happening. The Series X has 10GB VRAM, PS5 16GB as a part of its unified memory (so assume that probably 12GB or so is actually usable as VRAM). As PC gamers tend to want to do better than the consoles, it's a given that to get higher texture settings, resolutions, RT, etc. You'll want more memory than them. 8GB cards running out of memory is 'situation normal' because of this.
Don't the new consoles also have 8 core cpus. I notice that not only is the recommended VRAM higher but the recommended AMD cpus are 8 core parts. So this really does look like a game developed with consoles in mind first and foremost

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
The VRAM issue is hugely reliant on people being idiots and refusing to turn down settings that their card doesn't have the hardware for.

Sure there might be some entitled idiots who believe their card "ought" to be able to, but it can't so revise expectations, reduce VRAM usage and all of a sudden the game... stops having VRAM issues :eek:
Welcome to the VRAM debate in a nutshell after being pointed many times the concept of turning down settings to meet their hardware some people on this forum where either playing dumb or outright trolling by positioning themselves that this was not allowed even though a major part of a PC is the ability to change settings to meet ones hardware.

Maybe it's the developers way of supporting gamers in telling nvidia they need to sort out their prices/ram etc....

Realistically it's them being lazy and/or time crunched and not spending the time needed to optimise the game textures etc properly when porting things over...probably doesn't help that direct storage isn't really being used that much yet.
Agree with this post given how theres so much talk about GPU vendors taking people for a ride which I do agree with I'm surprised how some people are willing to open the door even more than now for game dev's to do the same as hardware requirements have shifted but make no mistake games are still going to be released in a state.

Soldato
Crysis came out in 2007 and gamers were being told they need to spend huge sums to be a PC gamers and then the global recession hit.

So what happened; PC gaming went into its dying phase - developers stopped making PC games, focused on consoles and most gamers bought consoles to save money. It was a sad generation for PC gaming and pirating was rife, many games that did get ported to PC were DOA as developers felt like it was a dead market so didn't want to put any effort it.

It's 2023 and it kind of feels like we're headed in the same direction, all we need is the recession to seal the deal - PC gaming might be headed for another cliff which results in it being dead platform for another 7 years

Last edited:
Soldato
Crysis came out in 2007 and gamers were being told they need to spend huge sums to be a PC gamers and then the global recession hit.

So what happened; PC gaming went into its dying phase - developers stopped making PC games, focused on consoles and most gamers bought consoles to save money. It was a sad generation for PC gaming and pirating was rife, many games that did get ported to PC were DOA as developers felt like it was a dead market so didn't want to put any effort it.

It's 2023 and it kind of feels like we're headed in the same direction, all we need is the recession to seal the deal - PC gaming might be headed for another cliff which results in it being dead platform for another 7 years
That’s where I’m headed sadly.
My last “upgrade” was to 8600k (2017?). I finally managed to trade out my 1080 for a 3070 last summer when the prices started to tumble which has afforded me another year or so I’d say.
But once this particular build hits the buffers I’ll be going to console.

Soldato
It pretty much happens with every console refresh, consoles come out and set a new baseline while making PC's look releativly poor in terms of cost/performance and then latter in the lifetime of the consoles the cost of PC hardware to match that performance gets cheaper.

Soldato
It pretty much happens with every console refresh, consoles come out and set a new baseline while making PC's look releativly poor in terms of cost/performance and then latter in the lifetime of the consoles the cost of PC hardware to match that performance gets cheaper.
But this time instead of an 8800GT, HD4870 or GTX1070,Nvidia and AMD seem determined to make consoles look better than they should.

Last edited:
Soldato

What are you on about, dead platform? Some of the best and most popular PC games in history came out during the period you mentioned. World of Warcraft at it's peak, League of Legends, Left 4 Dead, StarCraft 2, CS GO, STALKER, Team fortress 2 the list goes on forever.

PC gaming has always been about it's exclusives and not AAA console trash. Some of the doom and gloom in this thread is hilariously out of touch with reality.

Last edited:
Soldato
What are you on about, dead platform? Some of the best and most popular PC games in history came out during the period you mentioned. World of Warcraft at it's peak, League of Legends, Left 4 Dead, StarCraft 2, CS GO, STALKER, Team fortress 2 the list goes on forever.

PC gaming has always been about it's exclusives and not AAA console trash. Some of the doom and gloom in this thread is hilariously out of touch with reality.

It annoys me that these hardware companies have gotten so greedy. This shows you how much these people have changed:

Associate
Soldato
Soldato
In fairness he only owns like 3.6% of Nvidia. That is nothing to sniff at, but at the end of the day even he has to please the shareholders.

It's always the excuse,and why consumers have to put their interests first. This is why Intel eventually had to start reducing prices and reducing their own margins too.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It annoys me that these hardware companies have gotten so greedy. This shows you how much these people have changed:

I watched that for 30 seconds and what I heard was:

Our plan was that we were going to take technology that was only available in the most expensive workstations, reinvent the technology and make it inexpensive. However along the way we got greedy and the killer app was leather jackets :cry:

Soldato
I watched that for 30 seconds and what I heard was:

Our plan was that we were going to take technology that was only available in the most expensive workstations, reinvent the technology and make it inexpensive. However along the way we got greedy and the killer app was leather jackets :cry:

Maybe a Geforce GPU became self aware and replaced JHH? We might be seeing a replacement JHH!

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato

I think what he was trying to say is the pc gaming market will stagnate badly again as it did in the periods he mentions. Which could happen depending how bad things get. We may not have seen the worse of it yet and the issues with cost of living.

Back
Top Bottom