• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
I think my plan going forward is to stay one generation behind and buy once the prices have dropped and the bugs ironed out. Not the most fun, but easier on the wallet!
That is how I usually buy my GPU, end of life (EOL) 70 or 80 class. Always got over a 30% discount so it was cheaper than the tier of gpu below it in the stack, and the performance would hold up for longer.
This generation has been different in two ways, firstly with a lot of luck it was possible to upgrade to the new generation for free, e.g. buy a Vega56 when it was cheaper EOL, then with mining boom sell it for more than you paid and buy a 3060ti FE £380 delivered, then trade that for a Radeon 6800. So you could effectively get a free upgrade during the mining boom. That is how I ended up with a 6800.
Secondly with this generation because they have over produced gpus AMD cards have had a good discount for months so it has been easy to get a good deal without having to keep searching and waiting. When the 6600 was around £230 that was the ball park for a 1060 at times but with extra vram.

However, my previous experience of trying to get EOL is that you have to keep looking when you know that a new gen is coming out and wait for the price drop, otherwise you can miss out. When AMD dropped the price of the Vega56 to around £235 they sold out quickly in the USA, but we seemed to have enough stock in the UK to have time to get one. If you look at what Gibbo wrote he has kept stock of old gen cards like the 3070/ti down so that he doesn't have to EOL for big discounts. So I quite enjoyed the search for discounted EOL previous gen cards as neither the retailer or Nvidia/AMD want to lose money on EOL cards and they try to keep the numbers of them down in a normal cycle.

This gen for people who held of buying during the boom it has been easy to get discounted cards for months. I have never seen it this easy to buy a discounted card so IMO the mining boom had a silver lining for those who could trade up to the new gen for free or who have bought a discounted card after the boom finished.

Example of how quickly a discounted gpu could sell out in the past,

Last edited:
Soldato
The game is a hot mess, even digital foundry called it out as a **** unoptimized port.

Birthday card urine.

Tlou is running and looking fantastic on a 3080 4K no DLSS with a mixture of low to ultra settings, it only plays up when you go over the in game vram limit.

Steve over at hub just said 10GB is mostly fine and he would take a 3080 over a similar priced 6800xt.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a mess from ram and CPU use to the vram requirement, go watch the DF breakdown. You would never know the devs here did the the worst console to PC port ever in Arkham night. :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
The VRAM issue is hugely reliant on people being idiots and refusing to turn down settings that their card doesn't have the hardware for.

Sure there might be some entitled idiots who believe their card "ought" to be able to, but it can't so revise expectations, reduce VRAM usage and all of a sudden the game... stops having VRAM issues :eek:

Soldato
Turn DOWN settings? I feel sick.

But,but PCMR with expensive hardware. 8GB on £600 dGPUs was totally fine. Can't turn down settings because would be like the peasant console not-master race on more expensive hardware.

Excuse me do you mind, I'm an idiot....

You have as much VRAM as I have system RAM!

Last edited:
Soldato
I always choose mostly high settings. Never medium
The VRAM issue is hugely reliant on people being idiots and refusing to turn down settings that their card doesn't have the hardware for.

Sure there might be some entitled idiots who believe their card "ought" to be able to, but it can't so revise expectations, reduce VRAM usage and all of a sudden the game... stops having VRAM issues :eek:

They do kind of have a point though, I've never chosen low settings in my life. I always use mostly high settings.

Soldato
I always choose mostly high settings. Never medium

They do kind of have a point though, I've never chosen low settings in my life. I always use mostly high settings.

The big issue is not this happening with some el-cheapo 8GB card like an RTX3050 or an RX6600,but with expensive ones like the £550 to £600 RTX3070TI. The core is sufficiently powerful enough already. You could argue people need to do their research better,but Nvidia could have included some extra VRAM at least with the RTX3070TI!

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia could have included some extra VRAM at least with the RTX3070TI!

I'm actually surprised by the VRAM issue because I expected game developers to hold back and use smaller textures etc to ensure that all recent Nvidia GPUs stayed relevant.

Maybe Jenson's ego led him to think the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom