• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
I'm actually surprised by the VRAM issue because I expected game developers to hold back and use smaller textures etc to ensure that all recent Nvidia GPUs stayed relevant.

Maybe Jenson thought the same.

The thing is that cross-platform titles now are moving towards exclusive PS5/XBox One X development so can leverage more of the features fully. This will then set the stage for the console refreshes next year. It might also be why all the AMD dGPUs from £350 onwards seem to have 12GB to 16GB of VRAM.

Soldato
I'm actually surprised by the VRAM issue because I expected game developers to hold back and use smaller textures etc to ensure that all recent Nvidia GPUs stayed relevant.
Maybe it's the developers way of supporting gamers in telling nvidia they need to sort out their prices/ram etc....

Realistically it's them being lazy and/or time crunched and not spending the time needed to optimise the game textures etc properly when porting things over...probably doesn't help that direct storage isn't really being used that much yet.

Soldato
Are AMD just biding their time with the 7800 series and below or have they got **** all to show - 4 months after the 7900XT came out?

I'm on a 1080 and need to upgrade!

Considering the 7900xt has/is down to around £780 in some places, I'd say AMD doing price drops to 'help sales' is more likely at the minute..... I'd argue the top tier last gen can fill the '7800' range if they're priced right.

Having just bought most parts, I imagine the prices will go down immediately :)
Hopefully :p
I've been holding off buying a gpu due to 'sods law' meaning a price drops right after I buy one.... we all know, well Jenson seems a bit oblivious, that they need a price drop to stimulate demand.

Associate
Imagine if the 4070 released a few months ago, before Hogwarts Legacy, The Last of Us, and that other one I forget the name of, i.e. next gen titles built more around the latest consoles direct storage NVME tech.

Just a couple of months ago I was sniffing around used 3080 TI's, thinking their 12 GB would be absolutely fine with their whopping 50% more VRAM compared to my 5700 XT.

Now it's VRAM apocalypse days and I wouldn't touch a 12 GB card with a barge pole. If the 4070 released a couple of months earlier at sub-£600, I would not have hesitated to go for it. Now I'm struggling to justify purchasing even 16 GB cards going by what I'm hearing as an UW1440P + 4K60 gamer.

I can be thankful of small mercies that NVidia mistimed the 4070 if they wanted to rip off consumers like me. Now I'm thinking I'll wait until Autumn+ and reassess.

Last edited:
Associate

Maybe Jenson's ego led him to think the same.
AMD warned about the need for more than 8GB of VRAM in modern games, wonder why Jenson kept quiet on the issue! Mind you the Nvidia fan boys ignored the 8Gb VRAM issue as well and focused on raytracing, which made it easier for me to get my 6800 than a 3070 during the mining boom https://youtu.be/jjBqaGLRycc?t=444

Last edited:
Caporegime
Imagine if the 4070 released a few months ago, before Hogwarts Legacy, The Last of Us, and that other one I forget the name of, i.e. next gen titles built more around the latest consoles direct storage NVME tech.

Just a couple of months ago I was sniffing around used 3080 TI's, thinking their 12 GB would be absolutely fine with their whopping 50% more VRAM compared to my 5700 XT.

Now it's VRAM apocalypse days and I wouldn't touch a 12 GB card with a barge pole. If the 4070 released a couple of months earlier at sub-£600, I would not have hesitated to go for it. Now I'm struggling to justify purchasing even 16 GB cards going by what I'm hearing as an UW1440P + 4K60 gamer.

I can be thankful of small mercies that NVidia mistimed the 4070 if they wanted to rip off consumers like me. Now I'm thinking I'll wait until Autumn+ and reassess.

The benchmarks coming out with 8gb struggling and the 12gb 3060 actually beating the 3070 in a few instances did make me pause for thought.

I've mentioned it before but my main concern is games after the ps5 pro/series X...X come out.

I'd be surprised if they had any less than 16gb in them and knowing how lazy console parts are, I think pc gamers are likely going to want 16gb or more for high resolutions...

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah it's not even remotely surprising this is happening. The Series X has 10GB VRAM, PS5 16GB as a part of its unified memory (so assume that probably 12GB or so is actually usable as VRAM). As PC gamers tend to want to do better than the consoles, it's a given that to get higher texture settings, resolutions, RT, etc. You'll want more memory than them. 8GB cards running out of memory is 'situation normal' because of this.

Caporegime
Yeah it's not even remotely surprising this is happening. The Series X has 10GB VRAM, PS5 16GB as a part of its unified memory (so assume that probably 12GB or so is actually usable as VRAM). As PC gamers tend to want to do better than the consoles, it's a given that to get higher texture settings, resolutions, RT, etc. You'll want more memory than them. 8GB cards running out of memory is 'situation normal' because of this.
I'm lucky enough to have a 4090 and have bought a Sapphire 7900XT to have a play with (damn good card tbh!!). Gotta say I wouldn't like to buy a card now with less than 20GB of vRam if I was playing at higher than 1440p!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Gameplay footage in the trailer looks blocky which is strange as rest of the trailer parts look fine... Wondering if youtube compression or just them capturing gameplay with poor settings, but rest of the trailer seems fine the pre rendered stuff..

Bad port, rubbish devs, local system issue. :p

Compression and optimisation will allow that pool to be used well on the consoles. They dont need the same as the dGPU's so its not like for like but yes the writing is on the wall and has been like discussed quite a while back. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom