• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Right, so when you said...
I don't get how people think hardware wasn't historically stupidly expensive (when converted to today's money).
You didn't actually mean "hardware wasn't historically stupidly expensive" you actually meant "Prices have come down loads. From the really high prices in the early 90s to last decade.". Glad we cleared that up. :rolleyes:

e: Except WRT Nvidia it seems. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Dunno, I think my sentence still means that. I said I don't get how people think that.

Either way the context of the conversation was the clue. I was defending Jensen's comments as people were taking it out of context.

It's like how Uber have disrupted the taxi market, even if they increase prices now. Anyway, this conversation has become a bit pointless.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Dunno, I think my sentence still means that. I said I don't get how people think that.

Either way the context of the conversation was the clue. I was defending Jensen's comments as people were taking it out of context.

It's like how Uber have disrupted the taxi market, even if they increase prices now. Anyway, this conversation has become a bit pointless.

But why defend him at all? :D

Soldato
I’ve always found it useful to assess GPU prices in console terms, the high end has usually cost about the same as a PlayStation (or less) and depending on where you are in the cycle slightly to substantially faster. That trend broke around the 1080 and we’re now paying 2.5x for high end. (Excluding stuff like 4090, Titan)

Given the **** poor state of PC ports these days, you’re better off playing modern AAA on a console. Most of the PCs advantage is in esports and the incredibly rich back catalogue.

Associate
I’ve always found it useful to assess GPU prices in console terms, the high end has usually cost about the same as a PlayStation (or less) and depending on where you are in the cycle slightly to substantially faster. That trend broke around the 1080 and we’re now paying 2.5x for high end. (Excluding stuff like 4090, Titan)

Given the **** poor state of PC ports these days, you’re better off playing modern AAA on a console. Most of the PCs advantage is in esports and the incredibly rich back catalogue.
Nah that started way before then.
780ti had an msrp of $699 back then and Titans were already available at $999.

Associate

yeah no thanks, i have no interest in AAA games on consoles that target 30fps as if its a decent standard, only good thing about consoles is the price and ease of play, oh and by price i mean the base unit, you can suck my dick at £70+ game prices. if i want anything else its pc only choice

Last edited:
Soldato
Nah that started way before then.
780ti had an msrp of $699 back then and Titans were already available at $999.
You’re right, although I did exclude Titans as an outlier. PS4 was $399. Still the prices have really diverged in the past generation. The 4090 is useful for professional use and I think the price is actually justified there; but the rest of the current stack from both vendors is wildly overpriced for gaming.

Soldato
I was purely talking about the video earlier... that comment from the dev is comical though, to do what he's saying basically requires a small server farm, something every gamer has in their basement lol.

Neah, it depends on the quality of those videos plus the engine used.
For instance the below Unity demo runs at above 30fps 4k native which should translate to around 60fps+ with DLSS Performance :)

Problem is ... games are made for consoles, not PCs. Sadly.

The problem is aluminium was worth more than gold 100s of years ago,and Penicillin was ridiculously expensive 80+ years ago. Air travel was a luxury only the super rich could afford. Computers were the size of small houses and costed millions of quid 50+ years,and a modern smartphone probably has more processing power than the Apollo 11 flight computer(which was state of the art at the time),and is much more cheaper. Technology moves on.

Now look at the margin companies like Nvidia made today - they have skyrocketed over the last 10 years,and their gross margins are more than Apple. That shows you they are selling their products for far more than any production cost increase has done.

Exactly. But keep in mind even AMD has high margins as well, I think it was above nVIDIA's.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's important point, AMD may have better value at most price points, but that doesn't mean they can't do better.

This fanboyism team red Vs team green (Xbox vs Playstation, Apple vs Windows) helps no-one.

Always buy what's best for you use case.

100%

That's exactly what I do. Don't see the point in defending AMD at the moment. They could have done a lot better with pricing but chose not to. Don't get why people defend them like they are good guys. They ain't. As soon as they do well they jack up prices just like Nvidia. They ain't your friend and are not loyal to their customers.

You see this here with quite a few people pounding on the 4080 as how terrible it is, but yet somehow the 7900 XTX is very good. Their both **** value imo.

Extra vram does not give AMD a pass, just like better RT and DLSS doesn't give Nvidia a pass to price their cards silly.

Caporegime
100%

That's exactly what I do. Don't see the point in defending AMD at the moment. They could have done a lot better with pricing but chose not to. Don't get why people defend them like they are good guys. They ain't. As soon as they do well they jack up prices just like Nvidia. They ain't your friend and are not loyal to their customers.

You see this here with quite a few people pounding on the 4080 as how terrible it is, but yet somehow the 7900 XTX is very good. Their both **** value imo.

Extra vram does not give AMD a pass, just like better RT and DLSS doesn't give Nvidia a pass to price their cards silly.

If anything, the 7900 xt is probably the best value card right now having dropped to £750.

It's a flagship die, has 20gb of vram and isn't far off the £1100 4080 in normal rasterization (with not much more power use either).

It's close to what I'd consider reasonable. Still would be better under £700 though.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If anything, the 7900 xt is probably the best value card right now having dropped to £750.

It's a flagship die, has 20gb of vram and isn't far off the £1100 4080 in normal rasterization (with not much more power use either).

It's close to what I'd consider reasonable. Still would be better under £700 though.

Yeah maybe. I still consider it too expensive for what it is myself.

Caporegime
Yeah maybe. I still consider it too expensive for what it is myself.

Well, when I did that inflation adjustment for the 8800gtx which came out about £550 it made me think about what we should be paying now for the same sort of card (the 7900 xt is AMD's second tier flagship, like the 8800 gtx was for Nvidia) .

I'm not sure if that inflation calculation takes into account the exchange rate as well.

The 8800 gtx was $599 RRP, which adjusted for inflation is nearly $900 today.

Our currency has tanked since 2007 which is why something like the 7900 xt seems really expensive.

Nvidia are definitely taking the **** with their pricing though. $1200 for their second tier flagship/top card is well above any historical norm.

The 7900 xt for under usd $799 doesn't seem THAT bad historically speaking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Neah, it depends on the quality of those videos plus the engine used.
For instance the below Unity demo runs at above 30fps 4k native which should translate to around 60fps+ with DLSS Performance :)

Problem is ... games are made for consoles, not PCs. Sadly.

Exactly. But keep in mind even AMD has high margins as well, I think it was above nVIDIA's.

AMD margins are definitely lower than Nvidia. I think AMD is between 40% to 50% Gross margins,and Nvidia between 55% to 65% Gross margins. Either way whatever the margins are the prices are too high for the RTX4000 and RX7000 series so far.

Edit!!

Look at last quarter financials for AMD and Nvidia:

So AMD is at 43% GAAP margins last quarter and the same time a year before it was around 50% GAAP margins whereas Nvidia is at 63.3% GAAP margins this quarter and 65.4% GAAP margins at the same time last year. GAAP margins include any other payments,etc which need to be made so are closer to reality than the non-GAAP margins. Nvidia is still comfortably higher even using non-GAAP figures.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well, when I did that inflation adjustment for the 8800gtx which came out about £550 it made me think about what we should be paying now for the same sort of card (the 7900 xt is AMD's second tier flagship, like the 8800 gtx was for Nvidia) .

I'm not sure if that inflation calculation takes into account the exchange rate as well.

The 8800 gtx was $599 RRP, which adjusted for inflation is nearly $900 today.

Our currency has tanked since 2007 which is why something like the 7900 xt seems really expensive.

Nvidia are definitely taking the **** with their pricing though. $1200 for their second tier flagship/top card is well above any historical norm.

The 7900 xt for under usd $799 doesn't seem THAT bad historically speaking.

And how much was the Radeon 4870 (probably my favourite GPU ever)? That came after the 8800 GTX and was better. Was the top dog GPU when it was out too as I recall.

Was about half that price. Does that mean the 7900 XTX should be $450?

I don't look at it like that. Don't see the point. End of the day these cards could be a lot cheaper and still be profitable. But they are both greedy and trying to maximise returns. As I said, no loyalty. So no point defending them or taking sides like they are good guys or your mate or something imo.

I am guilty of doing that in the past myself by the way. If you look back you will see I was mainly pro AMD and defended them. My main reason like probably many that still do it now was they seemed the lesser of two evils and I wanted to see a more balanced market share. They also back then offered better price for performance so it was easy being team red. Now their pricing is looney also and generally when you zoom out and take a more cosmic perspective it changes things.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

I would agree if the model was the XTX. So if it ever got near to £800 mark I would go for that over any of the nvidia cards (4070, 4070ti, 4080). Its not worth biting though if your on a 6800/3080 level card or above unfortunately.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would agree if the model was the XTX. So if it ever got near to £800 mark I would go for that over any of the nvidia cards (4070, 4070ti, 4080). Its not worth biting though if your on a 6800/3080 level card or above unfortunately.
Loving this Sapphire XT I got Friday, lovely lovely card gives me 28k TS gfx score using 330-340W and has more than enough grunt imo for a casual-ish gamer. Absolute quality cooler too :cool:

If these get to £699 they'll fly out!

Last edited:
Soldato
So AMD is at 43% GAAP margins last quarter and the same time a year before it was around 50% GAAP margins whereas Nvidia is at 63.3% GAAP margins this quarter and 65.4% GAAP margins at the same time last year. GAAP margins include any other payments,etc which need to be made so are closer to reality than the non-GAAP margins. Nvidia is still comfortably higher even using non-GAAP figures.
Out of curiosity are the numbers from AMD total company or just their GPU segment, i only ask because when i tried to find their profit margins on GPUs i had a heck of a time and gave up. :)

Back
Top Bottom