• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Looks like the RTX4050...sorry RTX4060TI will get a price cut to $399:

Apparently now RTX3070TI level performance but with 8GB of VRAM. That means a whole 19% more performance:

Soldato
That's good though, right. It's what all the 40 series cards should be IMO, more performance for close to the same price. It's just a bit unfortunate that it's only happening with such a low end card what with an 8GB card not being capable of anything over 1080p in some games and being even worse with RT turned on but it's a start. Now they just need to adjust the prices of the rest of their range, no hope of that.

One thing that's been puzzling me is why there's been such a big delay in AMD releasing more cards. I think we can all agree there's a lot of downward pressure on prices so i would've thought releasing and setting the MSRP for a card sooner rather than latter would be preferred but it seems AMD are happy to wait until even more people are demanding even cheaper cards. (if that makes sense :))

Caporegime
Looks like the RTX4050...sorry RTX4060TI will get a price cut to $399:

Apparently now RTX3070TI level performance but with 8GB of VRAM. That means a whole 19% more performance:

If it had 12gb, that wouldn't be too bad.

8gb makes it awkward though.

Soldato
One thing that's been puzzling me is why there's been such a big delay in AMD releasing more cards. I think we can all agree there's a lot of downward pressure on prices so i would've thought releasing and setting the MSRP for a card sooner rather than latter would be preferred but it seems AMD are happy to wait until even more people are demanding even cheaper cards. (if that makes sense :))
I wouldn’t be surprised if AMD leave it a month or so to let the 4070 furore die down then come out with a card that’s equally poor in value to help boost Nvidia’s flagging sales and maintain the current status quo in pricing.

Is there any point of AMD getting into a price war with Nvidia when cards like the 4070 could be cut to $400 and still be hugely profitable.

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Erm, when nvidia launched in 1993, GPUs weren't $250.

The prices you saw in 1998 was exactly because nvidia forced the market to move from being professional cards selling for $500+ in the early 90s, to the $250 you saw in 1998. That is what Jensen refers to.

edit:

ATI VGA Wonder 512KB was $699 lauched in 1989.
ATI Graphics Ultra 1MB was $899 in 1991.
ATI Graphics Ultra Plus was $499 in 1992.
ATI Graphics Vantage was $599 in 1992.
ATI Graphics Ultra Pro was $799 in 1993.

Even post competition, graphics cards were $500+ in todays money. And the dies were tiny.

What a load of revisionist nonsense. I worked in building PCs through the early 90s into the early 2000s and Nvidia saved nobody. Before D3D was a thing decent GPUs could be purchased for well under £200. The GPUs you are listing were professional level GPUs. Even the new 3D accelerated gaming GPUs from 1998 were about £300 for some of the top end stuff from Matrox or 3DFX.

That means top end GPU for about £650 in todays money. So top end gaming GPUs have trebled in price thanks to Nvidia and AMD. When Nvidia finally made some decent GPUs in the early naughtiest they were no cheaper than alternatives. Nvidia did not introduce cheap PC gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Other factors are at play too, but I cannot help but wonder if going chiplet with both Navi 31 and Navi 32 wasn't a risk too far? Certainly sounds like risk evaluation was not done and for Navi 32 is the extra cost of it having been monolith such a big thing?

IMO, far more sense would have been to have gone big with Navi31 (or a higher end part), ran that at saner clocks, get the halo product (500mm²+ main chip + IO chiplets should have yielded a card that would have been hard for a monolith 4090 to beat - at least for raster). For anything below that, stick to monolith.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Yeah I think there was talk last year of the laptop stuff releasing first and a delay so that might actually be an accurate rumour for once. Its also surprising to see so much 6000 stock still about seeing as the competitor has 80% dominance, some of the sku's should be drying up after the discounts.

What a load of revisionist nonsense. I worked in building PCs through the early 90s into the early 2000s and Nvidia saved nobody.
...So top end gaming GPUs have trebled in price thanks to Nvidia and AMD. When Nvidia finally made some decent GPUs in the early naughtiest they were no cheaper than alternatives. Nvidia did not introduce cheap PC gaming.

I know, why the factoid apologists try it on when some lived through this era reminds us how blinkered people can be out there. nvidia didn't help out back then and they certainly aren't helping bring "inexpensive" cards to market right now.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn’t be surprised if AMD leave it a month or so to let the 4070 furore die down then come out with a card that’s equally poor in value to help boost Nvidia’s flagging sales and maintain the current status quo in pricing.

Is there any point of AMD getting into a price war with Nvidia when cards like the 4070 could be cut to $400 and still be hugely profitable.
The thing is as time goes by peoples demand for better value cards is only increasing so IMO the longer they leave it the lower their chances of being able to release a card that's seen as poor value.

The reason things like the 4070 has an MSRP of $600 is because peoples perception of what's good value has been distorted by the last few years of silly prices, as time goes by that perception is slowly returning to normal or at least closer to what was historically considered good value.
Other factors are at play too, but I cannot help but wonder if going chiplet with both Navi 31 and Navi 32 wasn't a risk too far? Certainly sounds like risk evaluation was not done and for Navi 32 is the extra cost of it having been monolith such a big thing?

IMO, far more sense would have been to have gone big with Navi31 (or a higher end part), ran that at saner clocks, get the halo product (500mm²+ main chip + IO chiplets should have yielded a card that would have been hard for a monolith 4090 to beat - at least for raster). For anything below that, stick to monolith.
It's a 'risk' that had to be taken if you want to keep on increasing performance while keeping costs down. The majority of people are not willing to pay for +500mm reticle sizes and the large you go the more it costs due to the ratio of defects vs how many dies are on each wafer.

Splitting your production into chiplets and monolithic also isn't an option, the complexities of designing and fabricating two separate GPUs would be cost prohibitive.
Yeah I think there was talk last year of the laptop stuff releasing first and a delay so that might actually be an accurate rumour for once. Its also surprising to see so much 6000 stock still about seeing as the competitor has 80% dominance, some of the sku's should be drying up after the discounts.
Obviously i can only speak for myself but i was in the market for a 6800XT up until a few months ago and decided against it as i don't see the point in buying a last gen card when the 7800XT is right around the corner.

I'll probably regret passing up 6800XT's for £550 when the 7800XT is released at a stupid price like £750 but you never know, maybe it will be close to £600. :)

Associate
I'll probably regret passing up 6800XT's for £550 when the 7800XT is released at a stupid price like £750 but you never know, maybe it will be close to £600. :)
Just saying the 7900XT is now available & in-stock for £750 on OCUK. Who knows what the 7800XT will actually be, but it certainly won't be £750. I think your £600 is closer to the mark based on the price & performance of the 7900XT vs 7900XTX.

Personally, I'd like to buy a 7900/7800XT, but I'm keen on playing some VR and there are still widespread reports of really bad performance issues... Hoping the drivers can mature quickly, as these GPUs are _finally_ becoming desirable.

Soldato
If the cards were as cheap as everyone wished, everyone would be trying to buy one and the scalpers, again, would be doing very well.

High end PC gaming is expensive, if you want cheaper PC gaming. Don't aim for running 4k and don't expect to play games on release. The latter should be standard for anyone.

Whilst next gen game engines will definitely require more horsepower and VRAM, whichever game comes out first on say, Unreal 5, wait for a bit for game optimization. There will be a race with devs to be out first on next gen gfx. It just wont be well optimized at the start. 6 months after first games are released we'll have a better idea of VRAM requirements for next gen games.

Caporegime
Looking at stock numbers, the 7900 XT seems to be selling quite well at £750

Last week when i was scouring the web for deals, I looked at the retailers that clearly get their stock numbers from some sort of central supplier, as loads of them had the same 400+ number in stock for the Sapphire reference card.

Now the stock number is only about 80 on these places, and many of the places that had their own stock last week don't now as well.

Last edited:
Associate
I wonder if we're on the verge of a 69xx price drop - seem to be a lot of outlets with them in stock and they'll need shifting one assumes.
It's interesting to see how the prices of the 69 and 79 series are falling together. It does imply that the 69 series stock is nearly exhausted.

Gut feel is that 69 series stocks are giving AMD a good reason not to release 78 and 76 GPUs yet, as they will sit in very similar price & performance brackets. So getting through all the 69 stock is positive.

Caporegime
It's interesting to see how the prices of the 69 and 79 series are falling together. It does imply that the 69 series stock is nearly exhausted.

Gut feel is that 69 series stocks are giving AMD a good reason not to release 78 and 76 GPUs yet, as they will sit in very similar price & performance brackets. So getting through all the 69 stock is positive.

Yep. The 6950's that dropped to about £640 went very quickly.

AMD will no doubt want the rest of the 6900 and 6950's to go before they release the 7800xt at no doubt between £500-£600.

Soldato

An analyst guy I know of suggested the 6 series price had reached run out pricing so I bought one. Looks like he was right.

Soldato
That's a solid choice to make. I doubt you'll be left with any regret with how underwhelming the next gen has been.
Yes I only play at 1440p so even undervolted and with Radeon Chill on capped to 140Hz it runs it easily. Should be good for a good while. Cooler and quieter than expected, a lot better than when I had 7970 xfire and a 30°C room :cry:

Back
Top Bottom