• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Why not just engage in conversation in good faith without sarcastic comments and laughing emojis? It’s so boring.
With someone who either can't read or count? Or did you just ignore the part where i said "i could draw one on a piece of paper".

Soldato
With someone who either can't read or count? Or did you just ignore the part where i said "i could draw one on a piece of paper".

What exactly does that prove? Drawing a single transistor on a piece of paper doesn’t make them any less complex. Doesn’t mean anything.

Soldato
Why not just engage in conversation in good faith without sarcastic comments and laughing emojis? It’s so boring.

Sorry, I haven’t slept much and laughing emojis just really wind me up when trying to engage in a conversation haha. Sorry for being so silly about it all :)

Caporegime
Well considering the RTX4070TI is really an RTX3060 class die, even £600 would be a nice increase for Nvidia.

Well, even so we all know that if Nvidia released a 270w, 3090ti matching card for under £600 in January it likely would have sold out instantly, and we'd be having scalper problems again.

It is just all a ***** whirlwind of greed from Nvidia, and greed from scalpers etc. I'm hoping that if there arent any other factors (like another mining boom or something), hopefully by the next gen prices might normalize a bit more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, even so we all know that if Nvidia released a 270w, 3090ti matching card for under £600 in January it likely would have sold out instantly, and we'd be having scalper problems again.

It is just all a ***** whirlwind of greed from Nvidia, and greed from scalpers etc. I'm hoping that if there arent any other factors (like another mining boom or something), hopefully by the next gen prices might normalize a bit more.
Everyone I know has mostly lost interest now because the products are overpriced.

Soldato
I am still on my 1080Ti. Wanted to upgrade last gen and still want to this gen but I refuse to be taken advantage of so I am just waiting it out. If the 7900XT drops below £700 I may bite. 4070Ti and 4070 are both horribly priced for their raw performance and 7900XTX/4080 would need to drop to about £850 for me to even consider it.

Soldato
Decent prices for 5000/8000 series............no chance. NOTHING is going to drop in price that much. For the few waiting for 'dream' prices, isn't enough over sales at current prices, for NV/AMD to change prices. If you cant afford high end PC gaming now, then you won't going forward. I see discreet GPU's dying out.

Yesterday on the radio I heard about Microsoft buying Activision for £55B, but it was when they started comparing gaming to the streamed music industry and how they perceive the direction for the gaming industry to go in, is essentially, everyone wants it accessed via their phone. Was a bitter pill to swallow, but I don't see discreet gfx cards being around for more than 10 yrs, except for those owning the streaming services. NV is a massive company where GPU's are a small part of what they do. GAming and graphical horsepower will be subscription based sooner than we'd all like.

Not something I wanted to hear myself, but I've been thinking about it on and off since.

Sad times.

Last edited:
Associate
Riva 128 had 3.5 million transistors, a 4090 has 76,300 million.
So what? Make the same comparison with the complexity increase in CPUs but no one would tolerate Intel trying to price their retail chips at 2-4 times their current price for anything from the 13400 up.

If anything despite the complexity increases the price has dropped considerably yet when it's Nvidia nope totally OK because reasons.

Soldato
So what? Make the same comparison with the complexity increase in CPUs but no one would tolerate Intel trying to price their retail chips at 2-4 times their current price for anything from the 13400 up.

If anything despite the complexity increases the price has dropped considerably yet when it's Nvidia nope totally OK because reasons.

I’m not saying it’s OK, I’m just saying there are some reasons rooted in reality for the increase in costs.

It’s true that high end CPU prices have gone down, although from a sheer BOM perspective a CPU hasn’t really changed over the years, where as there is an obvious material difference between something like a Riva 128 and a RTX 4090 (like I said before though, comparisons over that timeline are massively flawed).

Last edited:
Associate
I’m not saying it’s OK, I’m just saying there are some reasons rooted in reality for the increase in costs.

It’s true that high end CPU prices have gone down, although from a sheer BOM perspective a CPU hasn’t really changed over the years, where as there is an obvious material difference between something like a Riva 128 and a RTX 4090 (like I said before though, comparisons over that timeline are massively flawed).
Eh, you realise the old GPUs were in larger manufacturing nodes which also meant large material usage

Soldato
please dont drink the koolaid, material prices have not increased anywhere like they say as a reason for hikes, its all just about charging as much as they can get away with for the glory of the shareholders

Material prices have increased pretty substantially (I work in manufacturing). But like I said, I’m not making excuses for the pricing. It’s a combination of factors.

It can be both that Nvidia are charging higher prices than historically to maintain their huge margins as well as increased complexity, R&D, manufacturing, material costs and so on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Material prices have increased pretty substantially (I work in manufacturing). But like I said, I’m not making excuses for the pricing. It’s a combination of factors.
Yes it's a combination but i think what peoples issues are, not wanting to speak for others, is that those cost increases contribute such a tiny proportion to the overall cost. That inflation and even increased costs in materiels probably only contribute to something like a 10% increase not the +30% that we've typically been seeing.

*Those numbers are my guesstimates (Nvidia's own profits going from 10-20% a few year ago to %60'ish) as there's no way I'm going to run the maths to get the exact numbers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom