• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
But you're forgetting the lower power draw. :D
While it won't matter to a lot of people, but it does mean less heat, noise, lower power bills for PC only players, and more upgrade options for people who are stuck on lower PSUs. It's not a big selling point per-se but it'll be a factor in decision-making for a fair few. Which I'm one of them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's not really correct is it? I remember a lot of complaints about the 3090 price being silly but when you couldn't buy anything regardless of what you were prepared to pay and everything else under it started becoming silly money it seems a little pointless to keep banging on about the 3090 price. More to the point, if someone wants to pay ridiculous sums for the bleeding edge that's their choice, it's hardly unique that the top end of a product range has zero relation to value, be it if we're talking about cars, cameras, hifi or whatever frankly.

No one was happy about paying ridiculous numbers for 3080/6800XT but there were valid reasons for that happening *at the time*, demand being impossible to meet thanks to the mining boom and covid lockdowns destroying the supply chain. How can you question the price and then ignore all the factors that influenced the price at that time?

If the only way you could get a 3080 back in 2020-2021 was by dropping £900+ because a shop just got a shipment of 10-20 units that's going to sell out instantly, I can accept that. If you tell me in 2023 I need to drop £1k+ to get a 4080 that's in stock everywhere, it doesn't make half as much sense.

It is correct and relevant, people are banging on about the bang per buck on offer here by rdna 3 and ada which is perfectly valid but why not bang the same drum when it came to the 3090? Certain individuals "encouraged" everyone to not go with a 3080 because "vram" and to spend an "extra" £750 so as to not hit all these supposed issues with 10gb vram.... maybe they just wanted to put those potential buyers of so they could get a 3080 themselves? :D

Of course, if one could not wait for a DC/telegram alert and the only choice was to spend £1000+ on a 3080/6800xt/6900xt level of gpu then yeah go ahead and get a 3090 for MSRP but those were also extremely hard to get and were going for up to £3000 at one point too :o

Got no issue in leading tech to demand a premium i.e. as is the case with the 4090, this was not the case for the 3090 unless you had a need for vram for specific niche cases or/and workload scenarios.

The best part of it all is that most of the 3090 users have ended up on the 4090 now so much for all that longevity benefits it was suppose to offer....

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
I think its a pretty big wake up call for them and hopefully next gen they will go back to some normality as well. If they try this crap again, they will just be hit with the same poor sales across the board and a second consecutive launch of overpriced products. I see it as an opportunity if i was nvidia and amd to lower prices substantially next gen to bring those profit margins back up as people who skipped 4000 series will possibly want to jump on 5000 series, when you consider UE5 games coming out.
They could still price next gen cards high, see who blink first - gamers who are already late to upgrade or themselves, IHV. Could go either way.

Would be easy to have still a net increase from previous gens with just a bit lower MSRP. Fanboys will be all over that, pumping up products, FOMO crowds and people that will cave in, all will normalize the higher prices.

Soldato
I blame mrk.
He came from a 3080ti so was worth it for him to double up his VRAM and get a uplift in performance.

Others can keep crying why 10GB was a great deal at £650 for a 3080 (but didn't realise their next 80 class update with 16GB will cost them £1200).. :cry: but 3080 10GB really cost a lot more for people that didn't get the FE when they dropped in Unicorn poop amounts as many saw. Then the comedy of pre-orders being cancelled because the retailers didn't want to sell them at the price they sold them at and wanted to sell them at the new rates.. The whole 3080 thing and 3000 series thing was all comical and the 4000 series has added more insult to it all now. Didn't people get the hint when the 3080 12GB came out really at £1000 and the 3080ti 12GB was £1200 ?.. Did they really think the 4080 was going to be £650 again ? No chance the 3080 10GB only came to be thanks to AMD and the 6800xt performance and price... Don't forget that.

3090 was a great deal at the MSRP as we have seen now with the 4000 series and the cut down 4090 that is nothing more than a gaming card now and not a pro card with NVLINK and the insult with the 4090 is it didn't even have more VRAM so you could say well NVLINK dropped will make up for that, but all they did was sell a more cut down card for more..

All upset they didn't get a 3090 at the time or didn't see the point of the 24GB VRAM and thought 10GB would be enough for 4K were only fooling themselves that's why people spoke up and said the 3080 wasn't a great deal in the long term and well here we are proved right because people now are frowning even at 12GB cards and wanting higher VRAM than even 12GB too, rightfully so with the price premiums being charged for the 4000 series..

Nvidia sees that and has said ok want more than 12GB for 4000 series get a 4090 24GB,4080 16GB or a 4060ti with 16GB if you want to keep it for more than a year trouble free with new games clearly showing 12GB is not enough now too for 4K and in some cases even 1080P which is comical.

It's 2023 and Nvidia is telling customers that 1080P is the new thing... when 8K is around the corner... and 4K has been the standard for consoles the last 2 generations and TV's and monitors with 4k and higher are here and more coming with 8K and half 8K ultrawides. Nvidia has lost the plot really and is not just stagnating the market but sending it back to the early 2000's first 4K TV was 2003... 20 years ago and first 4k monitor 2001 22 years ago.. But now 1080P is the new big thing with GPU abilities with VRAM and performance on the mainstream cards.. want 4K spend £1600+ .. :cry:

Where we should be on mainstream cards easily doing 4K at sensible prices. But 8K TVs will be the norm in next few years and as we saw with 1080p tvs they were dropped the minute 4K came out and same will happen when 8K TVs come out in numbers.. 4K screens will go the way of the Dodo too.. and Nvidia will charge £2000+ for gpus then to run 8K for sure.. or by then they may have gone the way of the Saga.....remember Saga ? they controlled over 55% of the gaming consoles... then Sony killed them and MS XBOX... they became history overnight and a software company only again. Even Nintendo are nothing more than handheld consoles now.. Nvidia clearly doesn't see how they are damaging their market and how quickly history has shown the market can change and be controlled by new companies. Honestly I wish them the best as they are in the hands of a narcissist running the company and he's got a lot worse over the years.

Last edited:
Soldato
What you getting like 50fps instead of 30 ? Still crap

Grunt is holding it back anyway

Yes but better than min fps down to single figures and avg fps stutter fest or even the screen that says not enough VRAM or BSOD specials as we have seen with recent games when the GPU runs out of VRAM not grunt.

Caporegime
Yes but better than min fps down to single figures and avg fps stutter fest or even the screen that says not enough VRAM or BSOD specials as we have seen with recent games when the GPU runs out of VRAM not grunt.

What's the excuse for the 4090 ******** the bed in some of these recent titles then? Not enough vram either.... :cry:

• Haha
Soldato
While it won't matter to a lot of people, but it does mean less heat, noise, lower power bills for PC only players, and more upgrade options for people who are stuck on lower PSUs. It's not a big selling point per-se but it'll be a factor in decision-making for a fair few. Which I'm one of them.
You always had the option of lower power draw cards though it’s just you’d have to accept lower end models with less performance. Nothing has changed this gen aside from Nvidia renaming them and charging £200+ more.

Soldato
But you're forgetting the lower power draw.
:D

LOL lower power draw ... lets look at the 4090... 450W card and comes with a 600w power cable and models with VBIOS that can use more.. Power draw for the high end cards has gone threw the roof they use more power now than what two high end cards did in SLI/Crossfire before.

Look at the average PSU now people are using compared to a few years ago.. PSU with 650W was classed as overkill a few years ago even with a high end card and cpu. Now people are saying get 1000W min to make sure your system doesn't shut down with the power spikes. Power use on PCs has become also silly as well as price of these high powered components.

Look at laptops with high end components now they use as much power now as your average high end pc did a few years a go.

Last edited:
Soldato
You always had the option of lower power draw cards though it’s just you’d have to accept lower end models with less performance. Nothing has changed this gen aside from Nvidia renaming them and charging £200+ more.

Not true as nvidia has played a fast one at the top end cards... the 3090 had a 350w TGP, the 4090 is 450w TGP. Yes the 3090ti was 450w TGP too but not apples to apples.. Lets wait for 4090ti with 550w.. which will come for sure. Sneaking in them 100w power increases now every gen..

I also understand what you are saying but Nvidia at top end can not be said to be the same as last gen.. from 30 series to 40 series top end so far 100w increase in power use for same class card. Lets also not forget 2080ti was 250w.. See them 100w increases now from gen to gen in the high end ? Also from 2080ti to 3090ti it is a 200W increase... from 2080ti to 3090 100w increase.

Last edited:
Associate
What's the point of 16gb 4060ti when it hardly has the horsepower

The correct answer is because Nvidia and AMD were too short-sighted and/or didn't care to design their lower end products with a bus size that would allow more appropriate Vram configurations, and the market has moved on and decided for them.

Can't say I get the objection to 16GB I see bandied about considering the above scenario. It is effectively being against having ample space with room to spare, and instead arguing no it should be halved and be a challenging tight squeeze, I mean why.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom