• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
Yup prices are still crazy, I'm holding on to my money for now, I'd like to upgrade but cannot justify the price right now.

Cheapest 7900xt on OCUK today is £750.

I would be wanting to spend about £500 on that.

Maybe I'm being really unrealistic? That's fine I'll just just hang on to my cash I'm not that bothered.

£250-300 for 6800 tier performance is what I'm after. Like you I'm thinking am I being mental?

But I'm also cognizant that a ps5 pro is potentially just around the corner.

Nvidia seems like a write off for me, they're obviously not looking for my money.

Soldato
i dont think the 3080 was priced too low it just came out when people were in lockdown and then mining hit so everyone wanted a card at any price
Yeah people were bored and stuck indoors with money they were unable to spend so a new gpu to help pass the time was an attractive option.

It wasn’t just gpus either, ryzen 5000 chips were out of stock for a couple of months also at around the same time so I guess they were priced to low also.

Now that normality has returned to the world people just won’t pay the pandemic prices which nvidia is trying to maintain by selling lower tier skus at higher prices.

3070 392mm2 die 256bus crypto boom price £1200, now we have a 372mm2 256bus £1200 ADA card.

3060 276mm2 die 192bus crypto price £600 and surprise surprise we now have an almost identical spec ADA card for £600.

By a combination of raising prices and lowering specs Nvidia has been able to bring back crypto pricing.

Soldato
Yeah people were bored and stuck indoors with money they were unable to spend so a new gpu to help pass the time was an attractive option.

It wasn’t just gpus either, ryzen 5000 chips were out of stock for a couple of months also at around the same time so I guess they were priced to low also.

Now that normality has returned to the world people just won’t pay the pandemic prices which nvidia is trying to maintain by selling lower tier skus at higher prices.

3070 392mm2 die 256bus crypto boom price £1200, now we have a 372mm2 256bus £1200 ADA card.

3060 276mm2 die 192bus crypto price £600 and surprise surprise we now have an almost identical spec ADA card for £600.

By a combination of raising prices and lowering specs Nvidia has been able to bring back crypto pricing.
Nvidia can set whatever price they want, sure. But that doesn't mean they can sell enough volume at those prices.
www.theregister.com/AMP/2023/05/11/nvidia_exec_pay_tumbles/

Soldato
i dont think the 3080 was priced too low it just came out when people were in lockdown and then mining hit so everyone wanted a card at any price
While it is true that it launched just before the crypto-boom, there were good reasons why Nvidia released it at less than they could have:
  1. New consoles were just about to launch
  2. Nvidia probably had a good idea where RNDA2 dGPU would land
    1. Firstly because Nvidia would have had a good idea from contacts who had PS5/XBX dev kits
    2. They probably had a good idea that Navi21 would perform well
      1. And knew they knew that they themselves were on Samsung 8nm because they cheapened-out, while AMD were on TSMC 7nm
  3. Turing had not sold well as consumers did want to pay extra for Nvidia's "extras"
    1. Despite what Nvidia PR pushed, consumer had little reason to pay extra for tensor sensors.
About the one reason not listed is "Nvidia felt generous" as that was never a reason for the 3080's MSRP!

Soldato
While it is true that it launched just before the crypto-boom, there were good reasons why Nvidia released it at less than they could have:
  1. New consoles were just about to launch
  2. Nvidia probably had a good idea where RNDA2 dGPU would land
    1. Firstly because Nvidia would have had a good idea from contacts who had PS5/XBX dev kits
    2. They probably had a good idea that Navi21 would perform well
      1. And knew they knew that they themselves were on Samsung 8nm because they cheapened-out, while AMD were on TSMC 7nm
  3. Turing had not sold well as consumers did want to pay extra for Nvidia's "extras"
    1. Despite what Nvidia PR pushed, consumer had little reason to pay extra for tensor sensors.
About the one reason not listed is "Nvidia felt generous" as that was never a reason for the 3080's MSRP!
People forget that the RX6800XT RRP was less than the RTX3080:

Last edited:
Soldato
So it is the same price as the 3060Ti...with the same amount of vram....and likely only 10-15% more performance?

Hm..rather naff.
And while people could justify the limited memory on the 3060 Ti a few years ago, in 2023 it should be DOA unless Nvidia (and AMD with the 7600) want to launch at £200 to £250.

That didn't quite apply when the 3060 Ti lauched as even those clued in to how VRAM usage goes up a certain time after a console generation's launch (usually 2-3 year after launch - when support for the previous generation get dropped - VRAM usage for new games goes crazy), gambled on a new worthwhile upgrade being by the time that happened. A gamble which does not seem to have materialised - but then during the boom cards with better longevity like the 12GB 6700 XT were much harder to get (especially compared to the 3060 Ti FE as AMD had decided to save UK customers the hassle of ever having to deal with Digital River... by totally dropping reference model sales from the UK post-Brexit!)

Soldato
People forget that the RX6800XT RRP was less than the RTX3080:

And performed better than the "Original" 3080 nvidia had planned on the GA103 chip... Like the current 4080 on the AD103.

Only reason the 3080 was on a GA102 chip was because of AMD had better performance on the 6800xt and the pricing. The real 3080 on AD103 I bet was priced the same as the current 4080 and had 16GB VRAM too or 12GB and the 3080ti real one may have had 16GB on GA102.

The whole 3080 prices was forced on Nvidia by AMD and people forget that and the whole card had to be changed and Nvidia was not going to just give people a GA102 chip without some cutbacks somewhere and we saw where the 10GB VRAM at $700/£650 msrp and the 12GB version had no real MSRP but was selling for $1000/£1000 and the 3080ti 12GB $1200/£1200.

That is why it was crippled to 10GB VRAM as Nvidia was clearly unhappy about giving such a chip for that price and made sure planned obsolescence will kick in quickly and make people update later to the 4080 that they knew would be priced at $1200/£1200 as the original 3080 was planned to be but AMD made sure to mess that up for them, but this generation AMD and Nvidia were clearly working together to hit these price points after what they saw happen with street prices at the time thanks to mining and lockdowns. The greed finally kicked in for AMD too and why we are where we are now.

The £650 price for the 3080 wasn't good considering the cutbacks on it. It just seemed good at the time and as we also know many never got them at MSRP and even to this day they are above msrp almost 3 years later ... which says enough.

The real 3080 chip GA103 ended up in very expensive laptops as 3080ti chips with 16GB VRAM. They were not sold for £650 in laptops..more like £1500 just for the 3080ti gpu in the laptops as could easily be worked out from the price differences from same models to higher gpu versions. From the 3070ti laptop gpu to the 3080ti there was on average a £750-850 difference in price for the same laptop model.

The same 4080 AD103 is the same chip in 4090 laptops .. so you can see what was planned with Ampere GA103 chips .. basically desktop 3080 and laptop 3090 versions but they called it 3080ti instead and this time called it 4090 laptop gpu just to raise the naming tier and the price again.. but really same chips used for the same thing with a sprinkle of Nvidia naming games.

Last edited:
Soldato
And performed better than the "Original" 3080 nvidia had planned on the GA103 chip... Like the current 4080 on the AD103.

Only reason the 3080 was on a GA102 chip was because of AMD had better performance on the 6800xt and the pricing. The real 3080 on AD103 I bet was priced the same as the current 4080 and had 16GB VRAM too or 12GB and the 3080ti real one may have had 16GB on GA102.

The whole 3080 prices was forced on Nvidia by AMD and people forget that and the whole card had to be changed and Nvidia was not going to just give people a GA102 chip without some cutbacks somewhere and we saw where the 10GB VRAM at $700/£650 msrp and the 12GB version had no real MSRP but was selling for $1000/£1000 and the 3080ti 12GB $1200/£1200.

That is why it was crippled to 10GB VRAM as Nvidia was clearly unhappy about giving such a chip for that price and made sure planned obsolescence will kick in quickly and make people update later to the 4080 that they knew would be priced at $1200/£1200 as the original 3080 was planned to be but AMD made sure to mess that up for them, but this generation AMD and Nvidia were clearly working together to hit these price points after what they saw happen with street prices at the time thanks to mining and lockdowns. The greed finally kicked in for AMD too and why we are where we are now.

The £650 price for the 3080 wasn't good considering the cutbacks on it. It just seemed good at the time and as we also know many never got them at MSRP and even to this day they are above msrp almost 3 years later ... which says enough.

The real 3080 chip GA103 ended up in very expensive laptops as 3080ti chips with 16GB VRAM. They were not sold for £650 in laptops..more like £1500 just for the 3080ti gpu in the laptops as could easily be worked out from the price differences from same models to higher gpu versions. From the 3070ti laptop gpu to the 3080ti there was on average a £750-850 difference in price for the same laptop model.

The same 4080 AD103 is the same chip in 4090 laptops .. so you can see what was planned with Ampere GA103 chips .. basically desktop 3080 and laptop 3090 versions but they called it 3080ti instead and this time called it 4090 laptop gpu just to raise the naming tier and the price again.. but really same chips used for the same thing with a sprinkle of Nvidia naming games.
The RTX3060TI FE was the best value graphics card of the last generation:

None of the sub £400 cards had more than 8GB of VRAM. I suspect the RX6700XT was going to be the same price but it ended up being priced higher. Having said that the RX6700XT is actually good value now as it can dip closer to £330.

Soldato

I think its a pretty big wake up call for them and hopefully next gen they will go back to some normality as well. If they try this crap again, they will just be hit with the same poor sales across the board and a second consecutive launch of overpriced products. I see it as an opportunity if i was nvidia and amd to lower prices substantially next gen to bring those profit margins back up as people who skipped 4000 series will possibly want to jump on 5000 series, when you consider UE5 games coming out.

Associate
The thing which I find the most amusing in all of this is that people keep going on about how bad value the new gen gpus are yet they never batted an eye lid over how terrible value the 3090 was nor give any second thoughts when they were paying £1000+ for 3080, 6800xts :p

This is the usual case again where people need to vote with their wallet but alas, as history has shown us now, this will never happen. If there wasn't a cost of living crisis going on, I reckon rdna 3/ada would have flown of the shelves at their silly prices.
That's not really correct is it? I remember a lot of complaints about the 3090 price being silly but when you couldn't buy anything regardless of what you were prepared to pay and everything else under it started becoming silly money it seems a little pointless to keep banging on about the 3090 price. More to the point, if someone wants to pay ridiculous sums for the bleeding edge that's their choice, it's hardly unique that the top end of a product range has zero relation to value, be it if we're talking about cars, cameras, hifi or whatever frankly.

No one was happy about paying ridiculous numbers for 3080/6800XT but there were valid reasons for that happening *at the time*, demand being impossible to meet thanks to the mining boom and covid lockdowns destroying the supply chain. How can you question the price and then ignore all the factors that influenced the price at that time?

If the only way you could get a 3080 back in 2020-2021 was by dropping £900+ because a shop just got a shipment of 10-20 units that's going to sell out instantly, I can accept that. If you tell me in 2023 I need to drop £1k+ to get a 4080 that's in stock everywhere, it doesn't make half as much sense.

Back
Top Bottom