• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Exactly, and that's why it was instantly sold out when it released, which was before the mining boom properly kicked off. Remember the thousands of people on ocuk's backorder list from release day?

Given that demand, maybe the 3080 was too cheap (it also was a visible outlier on the price to performance chart).

But Nvidia set the precident now as far as I'm concerned. £700 should get you the 2nd from top sku.

The 1080 didn't fly off the shelves so quickly with an MSRP of £619.99.

So the 3080 wasn't cheap at all. Lockdown, mining, scalping was the issue.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Indeed

It's very irritating when people forget that GPUs were literal money printers a few years ago. You could make the cost of a 3080 back in a few months. Then likely sell it for over a grand if you wanted to. It was all bonkers because they did literally print money.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lockdown, mining, scalping was the issue.
Please remember the sequence of events.

The 3080 released in q3 ish 2020, so lockdown demand yes that was a factor. But mining money printing didn't become a factor until a few months later, and as soon as it became apparent of the demand and stock shortfalls, that's when scalping started.

The 3080 was off the charts in terms of value for money and generational uplift. Everyone wanted that card, particularly the FE.

Last edited:
Soldato

In hindsight* the 3080 was always going to age badly due to only have 10GB. That had a serious negative impact on it's value for money.

Didn't matter for serial upgraders but while the 3080 was almost x2.5 or so vs the 1080 the memory was only x1.25. Or, I guess the 1080 and the 1070 (and the 480) simply had far to much memory they couldn't use!

*And plenty of people said so at the time, and somehow most of those threads got locked.

Caporegime
In hindsight* the 3080 was always going to age badly due to only have 10GB. That had a serious negative impact on it's value for money.

Didn't matter for serial upgraders but while the 3080 was almost x2.5 or so vs the 1080 the memory was only x1.25. Or, I guess the 1080 and the 1070 (and the 480) simply had far to much memory they couldn't use!

*And plenty of people said so at the time, and somehow most of those threads got locked.

You and others keep saying age badly yet Steve from HUB (who is highly vocal on the "zomg vram issue") seems to have no issues still? :confused:

Any settings where a 3080 has to sacrifice, a 3090 and 6800xt/6900xt/6950xt also has to sacrifice in settings or/and use higher presets of dlss/fsr, difference is though for those who were sensible, one cost a lot cheaper than what was on offer "at the time"..... I would certainly be more ****** of if I had spent an extra £750 to only get a 4-15% improvement depending on the game :o

Still not had a single vram issue at 3440x1440 or 4k, grunt on the other hand.... but the only real upgrades to solve this would be a 7900xt(x) and 4080/4090 and despite having all the vram in the world, they are bad value so it's a no go, still better value than a 3090 was though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
The 3080 was off the charts in terms of value for money and generational uplift. Everyone wanted that card, particularly the FE.

Yup lots have said this before, even a few people who got a 3090 said they originally wanted the 3080 due to the incredible bang per buck it offered, having it so close to the 3090 whilst costing £750 less give that perception of great value. £650 was far more than I was willing to spend given all my previous gpus cost <£400 but it was obvious what way the market was going with lockdown, mining so was too good of an opportunity to pass up, also helped that all my old gpus could be sold on for almost what I originally paid which meant I got the 3080 for <£400

Only gpu worth paying for this gen is a 4090 or just look at second hand old gen gpus for <£600

Soldato
Exactly, and that's why it was instantly sold out when it released, which was before the mining boom properly kicked off. Remember the thousands of people on ocuk's backorder list from release day?

Given that demand, maybe the 3080 was too cheap (it also was a visible outlier on the price to performance chart).

But Nvidia set the precident now as far as I'm concerned. £700 should get you the 2nd from top sku.
It wasn't so much the price but the performance level it offered for that price. Also it landed at a time when a lot of people were hungry for GPUs as they had put off upgrading previously due to the RTX2000 lacklustre performance.

It was 25-30% faster than a 2080ti and 70% faster than the 2080 which was a huge generational uplift, compare that to a 4080 which is only 47% faster than a 3080 and 18% faster than a 3090ti yet costs nearly double the price and its no surprise people are not interested.

Caporegime
It wasn't so much the price but the performance level it offered for that price. Also it landed at a time when a lot of people were hungry for GPUs as they had put off upgrading previously due to the RTX2000 lacklustre performance.

It was 25-30% faster than a 2080ti and 70% faster than the 2080 which was a huge generational uplift, compare that to a 4080 which is only 47% faster than a 3080 and 18% faster than a 3090ti yet costs nearly double the price and its no surprise people are not interested.

The thing which I find the most amusing in all of this is that people keep going on about how bad value the new gen gpus are yet they never batted an eye lid over how terrible value the 3090 was nor give any second thoughts when they were paying £1000+ for 3080, 6800xts :p

This is the usual case again where people need to vote with their wallet but alas, as history has shown us now, this will never happen. If there wasn't a cost of living crisis going on, I reckon rdna 3/ada would have flown of the shelves at their silly prices.

Soldato

they also had 3070 at £469 which was competing on performance to the previous flagship 2080ti $999

hoping we get some kind of correction next gen

Last edited:
Soldato
The thing which I find the most amusing in all of this is that people keep going on about how bad value the new gen gpus are yet they never batted an eye lid over how terrible value the 3090 was nor give any second thoughts when they were paying £1000+ for 3080, 6800xts :p

This is the usual case again where people need to vote with their wallet but alas, as history has shown us now, this will never happen. If there wasn't a cost of living crisis going on, I reckon rdna 3/ada would have flown of the shelves at their silly prices.
Money printing(crypto) and stimulus cheques sold a lot of cards at silly prices.

Caporegime
Money printing(crypto) and stimulus cheques sold a lot of cards at silly prices.

Miners aside, plenty of gamers only also overpaid big time for gpus back then too, what's worse, some overpaid and waited in a queue for several months..... Maybe people preferred paying ebay basement dwellers and funding Gibbos new Ferrari instead of paying Jenson/Lisa? :D

• Haha
Soldato
Miners aside, plenty of gamers only also overpaid big time for gpus back then too, what's worse, some overpaid and waited in a queue for several months..... Maybe people preferred paying ebay basement dwellers and funding Gibbos new Ferrari instead of paying Jenson/Lisa? :D
To be fair FOMO is real ;) There are also plenty of adult gamers with decent jobs and want something now. Personally I begrudge paying more than I think something is worth.

Soldato
This.

The only thing limiting the price of graphics cards during the last mining craze was ROI. As long as the card could pay for itself in a timeframe that was acceptable to the buyer, it didn't matter what the price was.

The demand, even at inflated prices, was also virtually unlimited. Miner's wanted all the money-printers they could provide power to.

Now that crypto isn't anywhere near as profitable, (if profitable at all) we can see a clear difference in the market.

Manufacturers desperately want to hold onto margins but the demand is finite without the miners.

I'm sure scalpers are also missing the unlimited demand they enjoyed during the mining boom.

OcUK Staff
It wasn't this from day one of 3080 release though. The 3080 was in massive demand from its release day, with OCUK's website crashing for hours and them running a thousands long backorder list. There was no mainstream mining craze at this point.

This around 14,000 cards were pre-sold on day one.

The short and simple fact is NVIDIA priced it far too low for the generational improvement it gave, it was a huge shock to the market, they released an amazingly stupidly fast card and then priced it in such a way that put the market in total shock. Needless to say it was the most successful GPU launch in terms of numbers sold in all time, even beating the GTX 970 which was a total market shocker regarding price / performance.

Reality is the £649 price was mega aggressive!

Soldato
Reality is the £649 price was mega aggressive!
Yeah and I remember the conversations at the time because the AIB models were all considerably higher, they couldn't/didn't want to get near the FE price, so everyone wanted the FE.

Yep this gen its gone too far the other way. They haven't got the balance right.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a limit to how many GPU's a gamer wants. -Even when the GPU's offer good value the way the 3080 did at msrp.

The 4090 sold well at first. Scalpers did their thing for a while, but without mining, we could just wait them out because the number of people willing to pay x price for y product is finite in the absence of crypto mining.

Crypto mining made demand effectively infinite, and prices behaved accordingly.

We don't have infinite demand now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah and I remember the conversations at the time because the AIB models were all considerably higher, they couldn't/didn't want to get near the FE price, so everyone wanted the FE.

Yep this gen its gone too far the other way. They haven't got the balance right.

Yeah I mean this is it really. If everything was shifted a tier it'd all make a lot more sense. I think Nvidia almost calling the 4070 ti a "4080 12GB" is a tacit acknowledgement of that. Like they know a "4080" really belongs at the £800-ish price point to be sensible, but they want to see if they can push it further because of what they saw in the crypto boom.

Associate
i dont think the 3080 was priced too low it just came out when people were in lockdown and then mining hit so everyone wanted a card at any price

Back
Top Bottom