• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Depressing tbh, still on my vega56 I got for £250 with 3 AAA games (division 2, resi2 and DMC5). I know I'll never get a deal like that ever again, but fck me is the GPU market depressing these days. Nvidia gimping their otherwise capable cards with barely existent framebuffers is unconscionable.

Pop in occasionally for deals, I either miss them or they don't exist. I can't get into the marketplace forum either in case there's anyone trustworthy there wanting to flog their old gear.

Well if you look on Steam most of the cards in the top15 are sub £500 and many are older cards:

The reality is most of the popular games are made by developers to run on older and cheaper hardware,so if anything people appear to be keeping hardware longer and longer. The most popular card of the last generation was the RTX3060 and the most popular card of this generation is the laptop RTX4060. The GTX1650 and GTX1060 are in the top5!

Many PC gamers probably also play on IGPs,as performance is getting good enough now.

Despite all the enthusiasts excuse making for the price increases,the reality is people are not really buying new cards that much now.

If you look at JPR,etc there has been collapse in desktop dGPU sales over the last decade. You can see that with the laptop RTX3060 and RTX4060 cards being in the top10 on Steam.

These are the figures from a year ago:
Discrete-GPU-Histogram-Q2-2023-_1.jpg

There has been a rebound recently,but the trend is generally downwards for desktop sales. What's even worse there was a Pandemic which probably helped with desktop sales too. Laptop sales are now a significant part of total dGPU sales now.

Last edited:
Soldato
These are the figures from a year ago:
Discrete-GPU-Histogram-Q2-2023-_1.jpg

There has been a rebound recently,but the trend is generally downwards for desktop sales. What's even worse there was a Pandemic which probably helped with desktop sales too. Laptop sales are now a significant part of total dGPU sales now.

Looks like when the 4000 series got released with there sky high prices the sales dropped like stone
Also did the mining craze finish in 2022 ?

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like when the 4000 series got released with there sky high prices the sales dropped like stone
Also did the mining craze finish in 2022 ?

Yeah I think the big drop off around Q1 2022 was mining, it correlates roughly with the bitcoin price, you also had the electricity price skyrocket in Q1 22 as well I think.

Associate
Just having my computer turned on shows me as being online in steam as the steam app auto starts when i boot my PC up
Like even now steam is showing me as being online, But am on here ;)
Also at what point? Does it count steam mobile app users?
Number of online users really doesn't equate to discrete GPUs. Maybe an indicator of interest, but the real figures will be sales. Second hand will always exist and extortionate pricing will contribute to popularity of this option.
My current GPU is second hand and I'd not hesitate to go second hand again if the price is right.

Soldato
There's clearly someone buying second hand GPUs at those prices, I think the second hand market would be a lot more susceptible to the price dropping if the demand wasn't there.
You got 3 choices in the market if you need a GPU, Nvidia AMD and second hand.

More and more people have been turning to second hand as buying new has been a big rip off so this has propped up the used pricing.

Soldato
More and more people have been turning to second hand as buying new has been a big rip off so this has propped up the used pricing.

Secondhamd prices also stay very high these days because even over 5 year old highend GPU's like the 2080ti are still easliy powerful enough to run most the latest games at good FPS at 1080p & 1440p which most PC gamers still play at

Last edited:
Soldato
Secondhamd prices also stay very high these days because even over 5 year old highend GPU's like the 2080ti are still easliy powerful enough to run most the latest games at good FPS at 1080p & 1440p which most PC gamers still play at
Nah it’s because new GPUs suck, Nvidia want £400 for a 4060ti which is only the same performance as a 2080ti yet has less VRAM and a crippled BUS so it’s no wonder a used 2080ti seems more attractive.

Soldato
You got 3 choices in the market if you need a GPU, Nvidia AMD and second hand.

Onboard is much better than it used to be too. Obviously still not fantastic for high end gaming but suitable for plenty of people.

Soldato
Back when cards like the GTX 1060 released they were 50% faster than a 5 year GTX 590 with double the VRAM and cost around £250, no one back then was paying high prices for a used GTX590.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nah it’s because new GPUs suck, Nvidia want £400 for a 4060ti which is only the same performance as a 2080ti yet has less VRAM and a crippled BUS so it’s no wonder a used 2080ti seems more attractive.
Yep. You don't even need to go to the 2080 Ti, which is an outright more appealling card than the 4060 Ti. Something like a 2070 Super still goes for over £200 used due to the utter stagnation in the mid-range. A 4060 Ti is only ~25% faster than one of those and the feature set between them is essentially identical. Even frame generation's dubious added value has been taken off the table by AMD. Older RTX card owners benefited from that more than anybody, since there are now (free) mods that allow you to combine it with DLSS upscaling and get the exact same experience as a shiny new 4000-series card. There's a massive ball of GPUs between the £200-350 price point (used and new) that are all much of a muchness, and that's just led to them all holding their value for years now.

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw that graph Hambug (think that his name) posted showing the 2080ti having much better min FPS then a 4060ti

Edit: I found the post

If that's true it doesn't seen to work well for Nvidia..... look at the 1% lows.

PS: this is an Nvidia sponsored game.

oqbC90y.jpg

Seasonic.

I forgot it was only the 8GB 4080ti the 2080ti had better min FPS
What gets me is how much slower the 2080 super is compared to the 2080ti is in them benches

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw that graph Hambug (think that his name) posted showing the 2080ti having much better min FPS then a 4060ti

Edit: I found the post
Nvidia selling trash at the lower end is propping up the used market. The 60/70 class always represented the price to performance segment but now the 60 class is junk tier and the 70 class is way overpriced while only having the performance that the 60 class traditionally had.

Associate
Nvidia selling trash at the lower end is propping up the used market. The 60/70 class always represented the price to performance segment but now the 60 class is junk tier and the 70 class is way overpriced while only having the performance that the 60 class traditionally had.
I’ve come round to agreeing with your assessment that both companies have bumped up the pricing and using fake names to justify it. Eg 4090 is a 4080, 4080 is a 4070 but double the price. AMD haven’t been innocent either- 7900xt is the 7800xt, 7900 GRE is a 7800 and 7800xt is a 7700xt (at least with the last one the msrp is the same as for a 6700xt which debuted at 479USD).

Tbh I’m not seeing a jump for my cash with anything other than a 4090 therefore wil just keep my gpu till RT performance for mid tier is truly worth the upgrade. (Maybe in 4 years?)

Last edited:
Associate
Something like a 2070 Super still goes for over £200 used due to the utter stagnation in the mid-range.

Yup that's where I really see it. I bought a 3.5 year old 290x which released at $550 (according to google) for £120 or so. Can't even buy a 5 year old 2070 super for that money now adays and I think that was launched $50 less. Maybe it's due to nVidia holding its value more than AMD. GPU prices used to crater after about 3 years, now they just fall in line with their equivalent performance level in the new gen.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
The Asus ROG Strix RTX4090 has dropped about £70 compared to the price i paid a few weeks ago

This makes me feel a bit better about my pending recent purchase :)

shame the resale value in the UK at least has dropped off a lot since January,

I'm not in the members market here so I don't know if it's also reflected in prices there.

Back
Top Bottom