• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Could be wrong, but aren't the manufacturer warranties often a bit crap anyway? Are they always honoured?

EVGA and Seasonic seem to be good, but can't say for other companies.

Soldato
I think a few frames would be lost on an older PCI 3.0 board, though.

I was checking up on that this morning actually - looks like you lose on average 2% fps by running on PCI-E 3.0. Which isn't that bad, really. If 2% makes the difference, you wanted a different card.

Soldato
Don't agree, it might not seem much but a few FPS could reduce the minimum to 57-58. That may or may not be something that is perceptible.

I doubt many are still using PCIE 3.0 boards anyway, so no big deal.

Having said that, I would probably look at getting a RX 6700 XT in this case, rather than replacing the board if I was on PCIE3.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Could be wrong, but aren't the manufacturer warranties often a bit crap anyway? Are they always honoured?

EVGA and Seasonic seem to be good, but can't say for other companies.

There is a bit of hoop jumping to go through on a few vendors products, asus can be a royal pain in the ass. Not had any experience with many others beside corsair who usually seem easy to deal with.

Soldato
Oh well. Are you thinking of upgrading your gfx card soon?

New one arrives tomorrow I hope :) Would have been nice to swap it out 18 months ago, but... that was the height of madness on prices, so I just stuck it out.

Yes, PCI-E 3.0 will be a slowing factor - by about 2%. It's just not worth paying to replace an otherwise healthy and adequate motherboard+cpu, for only that. Did consider that a 3060Ti would have full 16x instead of 8x but... don't really want to pay the nvidia tax.

But I would honestly expect at least 50% of PC owners to still be on 3.0. So many people bought their PC back in the 8th gen/Ryzen 2 era, and they've all been "good enough" ever since. Very few people are cpu constrained these days, so I'd expect many of those base units to run until they die. Or in some cases, until the storage is full and people buy a whole new PC. Because we all know someone who does that :cry:

Soldato
It's just not worth paying to replace an otherwise healthy and adequate motherboard+cpu, for only that. :cry:

I Agree. Especially with Zen 4 coming out probably in September or October 2022. The RX 6650 XT looks like a good card for the money, enjoy :)

You can always overclock if you really have to have that extra 5% of performance...

GAC

GAC

Soldato
So... anyone predict what's going to happen with RTX 4000 and RDNA 3 prices?

ok some guesswork on performance but say the 4080 is as fast as a 3090ti (or even slightly faster) expect a similar silly price and the current gen's life will be extended well beyond what we would expect.

so the 3080 will still be over founders edition price of £650 for a while to come, now i could be wrong and nvidia and amd could do us all a solid and they launch them at reasonable prices, buuuuuuuuuut after the shenanigans of selling pallets of gpu's direct to miners i some how doubt it.

Associate
So... anyone predict what's going to happen with RTX 4000 and RDNA 3 prices?

My optimistic prediction is it will be the generation where the big two push their luck on pricing and end up having to put things right, something that's more likely if Intel can get things together. Probably though, it's going to be another ****-show of supply not meeting gamer demand. And if another GPU mining crypto explodes like Etherium did, it could become another lost generation like the current one.

Associate
ok some guesswork on performance but say the 4080 is as fast as a 3090ti (or even slightly faster) expect a similar silly price and the current gen's life will be extended well beyond what we would expect.

so the 3080 will still be over founders edition price of £650 for a while to come, now i could be wrong and nvidia and amd could do us all a solid and they launch them at reasonable prices, buuuuuuuuuut after the shenanigans of selling pallets of gpu's direct to miners i some how doubt it.
Yeah. My impression is that people in general have lost the willingness to provide added value to others free of charge. 'What will I have out of it?,' dominates, which is not yet the end of the world, but it's also combined with, 'Why give more if you can give less?,' and, 'Why take less if you can take more?.' In short, everyone is stuck trying to optimize all bargains that one makes, i.e. milk them dry. And if the other side also wants to maximize the gain, then the two so-far theoretically competing interests will very much practically clash, head on and with resounding impact. Or, less poetically, nobody will buy or sell if the seller wants a 20% tip while the buyer wants 20% discount and neither of them will budge. Something has to give. And if people can't be arsed to think about the box and generate more value (in creative ways) instead of focusing their energy solely on in-fighting for existing value, then the relationships — including commercial relationships — won't be very productive.

This reminds me of a case study in ADR from law school. There were two pharma companies, each one needing 1000 bananas of the same rare type of which, conveniently, only 1000 units are available. Unless you dig deep enough in the brief and flex your brain to discover that you need only the pulp and — perhaps, just perhaps (which turns out to really be the case) — the other company needs only the skins (which, incidentally, allows you to make some savings if you share the processing line), you'll be stuck in the red-ocean game of fighting tooth and nail until someone gets 1000 and someone gets 0 or you agree to take 500/500 just to save the time and money that would be spend fighting or negotiating.

I think that right now everybody is stuck in this sort of 'game theory' maximization mode, nobody is willing to let go, and precious few people are willing to think outside the box and engage in value building as opposed to the same old too well familiar moves of value sharing. And they are also likely to engage in the value sharing in an adversarial rather than collaborative way because hey, everybody is adversarial right now, with both left-wing and right-wing politicians, and even centrists for a third, engaging in heavy-duty identity politics, and with psychologists and even occasionally religious leaders teaching everybody that it's okay to be a parasitic narcissistic egoistic *******, the same what economy theorists refer to as a 'freerider'.

So it looks like the community spirit and collective sense is gone, and a healthy sort of individualism (individual accountability) has not replace it, because everybody wants to individualize the gain but (and this is the aforementioned absence of healthy individualism) socialize the loss or cost or investment.

And you can't have a functional public-transport grid if your entire town are freeriders. Central governments and local councils will manage because they can collect taxes to recoup the losses anyway, but for private operators this will be a different story.

So for a moment we've had a situation in which two hundred pounds/euros/dollars allowed you pretty much to play 1080p on max settings for a while, but that was apparently too good for the users and not enough money for the manufacturers and distributors, and of course not enough money trickling up in taxes, loan interest, dividends, etc.

Why sell affordable GPUs to gamers if you can sell them to the miners by the bogieload at a premium? Why treat gamers nicely if you don't have to, to begin with? And why leave the gamers with some spare cash in the budget if you can ask for all of it and they'll give readily? (Which doesn't tell the whole story, given as GTX 1060 is still the most popular GPU on Steam, but anyway.) We can expect AMD and nVidia to charge a GPU's weight in gold just because they can. Same for retailers. And distributors and chip manufacturers also want a piece of the pie; it's not like they'll allow nVidia to take it all.

However, I still think the 'invisible hand of the market' will teach the old pony a couple of tricks given a couple of years of time, as gamers find workarounds or lose interest, or somebody does something disruptive and offers it as a replacement solution.

I would also expect some backlash in response to news of shady deals and especially of working, fully functional cards rotting in warehouses to create the impression of a bigger supply shortage than we really have, and something like that is likely to come out (in the light of existing studies). Government crackdowns on private scalpers (who don't pay taxes or insurance) could also help, but especially if competition/anti-trust watchdogs were handed enough information on a silver plate by journalists to force them to react to questionable practices in the supply chain. And one can't really claim Covid any more — I think consumers are likely to eventually begin to notice that the excuses don't really provide a full cover for the hikes, and consequently put pressure on the margins instead of cutting the supply chain as much slack as now. The quick gains manufacturers and distributors are making, with record profits coinciding with the Covid shortages are not something one can hide from consumers if only because the same information must be publicly available to stock investors and others as required by law, and if the law won't take pity on gamers, it certainly will on investors, who are already complaining and have more power than gamers to make their voices heard and are taken more seriously by the system.

And then there's GeForce now. Right now, monthly subscription costs like 2% of the price of your own RTX 3080, and you don't have to worry about maintenance, damage, diagnostics, repairs, RMAs, sufficient power supply, etc. If you could add any game you wanted and have 12-hour instead of 8-hour sessions, I don't think I'd want a physical gaming GPU any more other than something for emergencies. (Except the subscription price may well double or triple if there's a surge in demand, so that too can go down the same way as the ugly situation in the GPU market.)

So, bottom line: I expect nothing good in the short term, the mid-term to be unpredictable, and the long-term to get itself sorted (like it always does). So nothing new really. Nothing we wouldn't already know.

Back
Top Bottom