Where's the QHD 144hz Smart Money at?

Associate
Of the several VA panels I tried, the 32GK850F showed the least amount of pixel latency artifacts. Most noticeable is when you pan the camera in dark scenes, usually manifesting as a purple trail behind dark objects. It can also happen in brighter scenes involving small changes in pixel colour, like clouds.
Due to overdrive on freesync monitors being fixed, the lower the refresh rate, the worse the overshoot. Truth be told, it didn't bother me! But, I tried three of them and all had faults so I give up! I still recommend it though for anyone looking for 32" as the first two actually had good panels with the best black uniformity I've seen on a monitor!

Thanks very much for your reply, really appreciated.

Soldato
This LG 32GK850F is the monitor I was looking to buy, however reading some of the issues with VA panels put me off. How is it for gaming? I have read that if your gpu is unable to keep fps at 100 or above then you will see a smearing effect? Interested to know if you see such issues especially with the Radeon 7 as this is the combo i was looking to purchase.

Its fantastic for gaming i think Personally this latest VA panel in the LG is great its the best you are going to get, i cant see any noticeable smearing like on some older VA panels i have had in the past and i have never heard of fps affecting pixel response monitors lol it sounds like a load of rubbish.

Associate
...i have never heard of fps affecting pixel response monitors lol it sounds like a load of rubbish...

If thats the case then it's probably best if you have a look at some of pcmonitors.info reviews of Freesync monitors.
G-Sync monitors have a module which among other things, adjusts the overdrive as the frame rate varies. Freesync monitors can't do this.
So, if you go and set overdrive to fastest, it'll probably look ok at 144Hz when every pixel is being refreshed 144 times a second, but if your frame rate drops dramatically, say to 60 fps, this same amount of overdrive is being applied to the pixels, which now only need to refresh 60 times a second, meaning that you'll experience more overshoot than you would at higher frame rates. The amount of over voltage applied at the higher refresh rates isn't required at lower refresh rates, but Freesync monitors do not account for this, like G-Sync monitors do.

It is for this reason that you'll find when you take a look at some reviews of Freesync monitors, they will recommend using a different, lower overdrive setting for lower refresh rates.

Sorry if you now notice the extra ghosting/overshoot at lower frame rates on your Freesync monitor...;)

Soldato
Associate
Back to the drawing board for me.

The MSI MAG271CQR just didn't feel right.

• Issues with banding that should have been ironed out with a FW Update (Which i had) and it didn't
  • Back to white gradients (Before and after calibration) looked awful. Even worse after calibration
  • OSD Lockups after gaming for a few hours
  • Flickering within game menu's
  • Grainy/mushy look (Probably the coating or subpixel structure or both)

Honestly don't know where to look next!

Hoping the LG 27GL850 is the one but it just constantly seems to be getting pushed back.

Soldato
I'm currently looking for a QHD 144Hz monitor. Is one of the Dell S2719DG/S2719DGF still recommended for the money?
I currently have a 24.5" iiyama as my only monitor but considering going dual monitor so possibly looking to buy two.

Back
Top Bottom