Which Chocolate bars do you miss?

I've just had an involuntary thought about Woolworths Pick n Mix and the various chocolate based confectionary items they did, and I actually just salivated. I realise that things like white chocolate mice, smarties, them button ones with the multicoloured bits one them etc are all still readily available, but there was something special about chocolate delivery being facilitated by Woolworths. You'd go there start to fill a bag, go on far too long, and end up spending 9 quid, and this was when 9 quid was actually a reasonably large amount of money. I still don't think Pick n Mix has been adequately replaced by other outlets, it was Woolworths or nothing for me.

I've just had an involuntary thought about Woolworths Pick n Mix and the various chocolate based confectionary items they did, and I actually just salivated. I realise that things like white chocolate mice, smarties, them button ones with the multicoloured bits one them etc are all still readily available, but there was something special about chocolate delivery being facilitated by Woolworths. You'd go there start to fill a bag, go on far too long, and end up spending 9 quid, and this was when 9 quid was actually a reasonably large amount of money. I still don't think Pick n Mix has been adequately replaced by other outlets, it was Woolworths or nothing for me.

Hi, my name is [FNG]magnolia and I was a Buyer for Woolworths (Marleybone Head Office) between 2000 and 2003. I bought confectionery including Pic n Mix. Ask me anything.

This is actually not a joke.

Hi, my name is [FNG]magnolia and I was a Buyer for Woolworths (Marleybone Head Office) between 2000 and 2003. I bought confectionery including Pic n Mix. Ask me anything.

Did you have a cracking Christmas at woolworths? A really cracking Christmas, shopping spree?

Did you have a cracking Christmas at woolworths? A really cracking Christmas, shopping spree?

Well, the ******* fired me and then I went to work for M&S just up the road at the then head office on Baker Street. Then they closed up. Coincidence? I think not.

Back on the PnM tip though, you'd be surprised at how quickly you get tired of cheap and very bad confectionery. My desk would be full by Monday afternoon and empty apart from the cardboard boxes by Friday. Swines everywhere.

Why didn't you FIGHT for Pick n Mix while you had the chance? It's all coming out now. If I had worked for Woolworths around then, I would have probably gone on hunger strike to save the Pick n Mix arm of the business. excluding eating Pick n Mix of course, since I imagine it would have been free to Woolworths employees, or at least subsidized.

I remember at school, one of the kids used to bring some rare Strawberry milkshake chocolate bar in his packed lunch. I think it was a Rocky or Taxi or something along those lines, but I could never ever find them no matter which store I went to.

I weirdly still look out for them to this day, even though I can't remember the last time I ate a Rocky.

There were some pick n mix things called "pucks" (I think), which were round, thick bit of chocolate in a foil wrapper. Those were awesome.

One of my faves....

EY8ui15h.jpg

There were some pick n mix things called "pucks" (I think), which were round, thick bit of chocolate in a foil wrapper. Those were awesome.
I know the ones you mean, but sadly I could never be arsed with having to unwrap anything in a pick n mix. Apart from those spearmint chews that came in a wrapper.

edit: I tell a lie, I also waived my no wrapper policy on those hard oblong fruit sweets with the chewy centre. The were worth the trouble along with the mint shews. Only ever saw them in Woolworths pick n mix.

Last edited:
Why didn't you FIGHT for Pick n Mix while you had the chance? It's all coming out now. If I had worked for Woolworths around then, I would have probably gone on hunger strike to save the Pick n Mix arm of the business. excluding eating Pick n Mix of course, since I imagine it would have been free to Woolworths employees, or at least subsidized.

Well, the ******* fired me and then

To add: we tried to spice things up by adding a 'Fill Your Cup' type deal, operationally know as a volumetric dispenser, but the margins were less than ideal and greedy children and other harmfuls would cram the sugary treats like sardines in a tin.

Well I think I could have put Woolworths out of business single-handedly if any kind of Pizza Hut infinite ice cream thing was going on. If I couldn't cram it down, I would have piled it up high and balanced it like I was on the Crackerjack end game balancing cabbages etc. So it was probably for the best.

Back
Top Bottom