• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which CPU Cooler For Your Ryzen 5000?

A budget AIO has been proven to be worse for air coolers in the same price range.
Users in here have stated that they tried going 360 AIO with no difference to a good air cooler.

For pure performance, the AOI cooler is the choice although they will be more noisy compared to the 'tower' air coolers, or normal heatsink as you call it. In terms of looks, AOI coolers are much neater with most of the pumps having cool lighting effects too. The tower air coolers are very ugly in my opinion.

Thank you. What is the best coller under £200?
Anu suggestion?

Thank you. What is the best coller under £200?
Anu suggestion?
Well the new kid on the block that came out top on the review of coolers with the 5950X I posted a page or two back is this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phan...water-cooler-d-rgb-black-360mm-hs-01e-pt.html

This is what I have and it allows me to push my chip to it's limits for performance will maintaining temps I'm comfortable with. It's a classy piece of kit with a stunning infinity mirror pump cap. You will hear the fan's though if your CPU is working particularly hard. This doesn't bother me personally but it could be a big deal for others.

My experience with the 5800x is that it's very sensitive to improved cooling in terms of translating it into additional performance. Through default, not design, I had the Wraith Stealth followed by the Wraith Prism air coolers fitted, before installing the Phanteks 360 AIO. With each of these upgrades my performance scores in benchmarks increased (I started with less than 14000 R23 Cinebench multi-core scores and now get 15600). I even saw a further increase when I then upgraded to a larger case with improved airflow (not that my previous case was particularly bad or anything - it was a Full Tower as well). The bottom line is, for the Ryzen 5000 series, it does appear that there are real performance gains to be realised by having the best possible cooling set up.

Last edited:
Well the new kid on the block that came out top on the review of coolers with the 5950X I posted a page or two back is this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phan...water-cooler-d-rgb-black-360mm-hs-01e-pt.html

This is what I have and it allows me to push my chip to it's limits for performance will maintaining temps I'm comfortable with. It's a classy piece of kit with a stunning infinity mirror pump cap. You will hear the fan's though if your CPU is working particularly hard. This doesn't bother me personally but it could be a big deal for others.

My experience with the 5800x is that it's very sensitive to improved cooling in terms of translating it into additional performance. Through default, not design, I had the Wraith Stealth followed by the Wraith Prism air coolers fitted, before installing the Phanteks 360 AIO. With each of these upgrades my performance scores in benchmarks increased (I started with less than 14000 R23 Cinebench multi-core scores and now get 15600). I even saw a further increase when I then upgraded to a larger case with improved airflow (not that my previous case was particularly bad or anything - it was a Full Tower as well). The bottom line is, for the Ryzen 5000 series, it does appear that there are real performance gains to be realised by having the best possible cooling set up.

Thanks. Ordered.

Dear me, this thread keeps pulling me in different directions. Now I feel the need to sell the Dark Rock Slim and get one of those :eek:!
I get it. The pull to have the best is incredibly strong but for some perspective, the difference in performance between the various top end cooling solutions is really only going to be seen in benchmarks; they won't really translate into "real world" performance. Selling and rebuying for such gains may not be viewed as very sensible and/or rational but I get that this hobby does often allow for those traits to be trumped! I know I have sold parts and bought others for minimal gains just to have the better part. For example I sold an i5-6600K after a month and bought the i7-6700K as it was bothering me that I didn't have the 'better' chip even though I only used my PC for gaming.

Having said all that, based on my experience with the 5800X, I think you would be pleased with the difference in performance going from a single fan air cooler to a bigger AOI. As long as you don't mind the noise when working flat out. That's a bit of a generalisation though as I don't have any experience with the Dark Pro slim.

Last edited:
I got a 240mm AIO (corsair H100i) mainly for the clean asthetic and being able to pump the heat directly out of the case instead of swirling it around inside.

I'm sure most of the tests between air coolers and AIO are done on either test benches, or with fans running at high RPM. Pumping the heat directly out the case means I can have everything on tick over and still keep things cool. Even during heavy use, the coolant temps don't go above 40c (on a 5800x).

The only downside to the Corsair is iCue software - what a resource hog! So the best bang for buck is probably the non-RGB H100 version which doesn't need it.

To add some context, the 120mm AIO i had the 5800X was putting out temps in the high 80's, up 90c in Cinebench.

Its an old cooler so i though it was time to upgrade, the Arctic Freezer II comes very highly recommended, so i got one expecting to shave at least 20c off my temps, nope... its now in the low 80's, so about 5 to 7c lower, that's when i learned the 5800X just likes to run at those sort of temps and there isn't much you can do about it from a cooling point of view.

It is what it is, its apparently completely normal and expected so i'm ok with it, just wish i would have known i would have settled for a cheaper cooler.
When I started monitoring the temps I was shocked to see the same - despite my AIO coolant temps showing as being in the low 30s. I went through numerous re-sits and changes of thermal paste types before reading up that this was normal behaviour. The chip boosts up to temp very quickly by pushing the voltage up for a short period - faster than it can be dissapated by the IHS, let alone the cooler. Under more sustained loads the temps hover around 70c.

If you change the chip to a fixed all core clock speed, it doesn't happen.

I've finally managed to get my 5950X and have fitted the NHD-15S to it. I've only gotten only as far as sitting in the BIOS but the temperature is hovering around 48C.

That seems very hot to me and I'm not sure if I need to be getting worried about a bad mount :confused:

I was recommended the Alpenföhn Brocken 3 on here for my 5600X build. It's a bit of a beast but screws down nice and tight. I've ran some stress tests and it's keeping my CPU below 55°C whilst staying very quiet; the fans are hardly spinning as well! Needless to say I'm very happy with it.

Reviving this as I've been thinking too long of replacing my Dark Rock Slim. I've noticed the performance in my PC being a bit funny at times and could probably do with improving CPU temps.

Are these bad for a 5800X and should I get a better cooler? Max temp in red suggests (to me) yes to both.

y4mJo2c_vtw7MluyX6UY-7p1h5j989k7NktU13EfBVT04ptae8Zbem7wPtM2t8Xc38-jYwYBWJ2lsvcx1-P9VXAo_ntpPuN1fpM9YT37PRV_tvK0Da5nbS4lYUAQ68jWlXFsUSe88TAPaUf4WndeviWPjjJ7ehbuYRrsJEqZ74TMGO4mPILDyR-N_X03bY6b6zb

Reviving this as I've been thinking too long of replacing my Dark Rock Slim. I've noticed the performance in my PC being a bit funny at times and could probably do with improving CPU temps.

Are these bad for a 5800X and should I get a better cooler? Max temp in red suggests (to me) yes to both.

y4mJo2c_vtw7MluyX6UY-7p1h5j989k7NktU13EfBVT04ptae8Zbem7wPtM2t8Xc38-jYwYBWJ2lsvcx1-P9VXAo_ntpPuN1fpM9YT37PRV_tvK0Da5nbS4lYUAQ68jWlXFsUSe88TAPaUf4WndeviWPjjJ7ehbuYRrsJEqZ74TMGO4mPILDyR-N_X03bY6b6zb
Dark rock pro 4 handled my 5800X easily. Takes the 5800X3D even easier. You could try limit your PPT, TDC, EDC for a less than 5% loss.
I done it my old 5800X swapped into a mates PC who didn't want to change from the AMD wraith cooler (don't ask) and temps seem stable enough. I tell him often to upgrade his cooling though.

Dark rock pro 4 handled my 5800X easily. Takes the 5800X3D even easier. You could try limit your PPT, TDC, EDC for a less than 5% loss.
I done it my old 5800X swapped into a mates PC who didn't want to change from the AMD wraith cooler (don't ask) and temps seem stable enough. I tell him often to upgrade his cooling though.
What kind of temps were you getting on Dark Rock Pro 4? Which paste did you use?

What kind of temps were you getting on Dark Rock Pro 4? Which paste did you use?
I normally use Noctua NT-H2, to be honest I never expected my 5800x to go past low to mid 70s while gaming. I'll pull up some benchmarks if I still have them.
My 5800x3d hits 69c full load all core at 4450mhz on the same cooler.
Edit: bit of misinformation there, my 5800X3D is running -30 PBO all core so that helps.
The 5800X was just all standard setup. No tweaking or anything as I never had the time to fully test each core.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom