• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which CPU Cooler For Your Ryzen 5000?

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360. Top Mounted as Exhaust.

55c to 65c in game, 83c In Cinebench, +150Mhz Offset, Negative 10 Curve Optimiser.

Its the Rev 3 Mounting brackets and they are about 1mm off the top of my VRM Caps and touching my SoC caps, i'm going to redo the mount in the off set potion at some point soon.

I am a little surprised at the temperatures for what is a good high end cooler, but its not out of the ordinary for a 5800X even for such a cooler so i guess it just is what it is.

I am a little surprised at the temperatures for what is a good high end cooler, but its not out of the ordinary for a 5800X even for such a cooler so i guess it just is what it is.

My dark rock slim was around that in Cinebench. For games I believe it hovers in the low 70's. I'll check this morning what it's like just running Zoom... I think I'm at the lower limit of air cooling for a 5800X

Last edited:
NH-U12A on my 5600x. Expensive but absolutely brilliant. I can’t remember the temperatures but I tested it thoroughly initially, thought wow that’s impressive and haven’t looked again since. Very quiet, superb build quality. To be honest, not sure I would even bother with an AIO again.

I've spent a decent amount of time looking at reddit posts and stuff concerning the 5800x and cooling. It's always basically the same story. "i get ~80c in cinebench" regardless if the person has a 360mm AIO or a 180W TDP air cooler like the Slim.

Most people know but it just seems like the small die density just needs a certain level of cooling and anything extra is basically useless. I was really considering an AIO myself but then I read posts where users of even the top tier AIO had temps the same as the Noctua or Dark Rock Pro 4 that it just didn't seem worth it at all.

This video is pretty interesting. A 5950x PBO2 on a Slim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN-Q3kshVwk

86c on R20 Multi. Pretty sure some 280mm AIO are around that. These coolers shouldn't even be remotely close in temperature. On Intel it probably changes a lot especially if Rocket Lake power draw is to be believed but on Zen 3, doesn't seem to matter.

I'd actually be really curious to see what the eco mode does for the 5800x temps and fps in benchmarks.

I've spent a decent amount of time looking at reddit posts and stuff concerning the 5800x and cooling. It's always basically the same story. "i get ~80c in cinebench" regardless if the person has a 360mm AIO or a 180W TDP air cooler like the Slim.

Most people know but it just seems like the small die density just needs a certain level of cooling and anything extra is basically useless. I was really considering an AIO myself but then I read posts where users of even the top tier AIO had temps the same as the Noctua or Dark Rock Pro 4 that it just didn't seem worth it at all.

This video is pretty interesting. A 5950x PBO2 on a Slim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN-Q3kshVwk

86c on R20 Multi. Pretty sure some 280mm AIO are around that. These coolers shouldn't even be remotely close in temperature. On Intel it probably changes a lot especially if Rocket Lake power draw is to be believed but on Zen 3, doesn't seem to matter.

I'd actually be really curious to see what the eco mode does for the 5800x temps and fps in benchmarks.

A friend has a 5950x and it still hits 80c in cinebench with a dual 420mm radiator (same as I get on a 360mm AIO) - as you said there is a transistor density issue, it's at the point where you need extreme cooling to get the temps down more. This does represent an issue for CPU makers, they see GPU;s constantly push their power requirements to get performance but CPU's can't due to these cooling issues

I get 81c stock with a wraith prism so I'm sure the bottleneck occurs before it gets to the cooler.

Setting PPT TDC EDC for the equivalent of a 90w TDP part brings temps down another 7C with no loss to performance even a small gain if you can set a slight negative curve.

That is interesting. I'm all over the place with my opinion on my Dark Rock Slim. I have had my PC on all day. It's currently running a batch export with Autodesk Task Scheduler while I'm looking at a decent sized model on Inventor and my temps are sitting in the mid-60s with a maximum of 75C according to HWInfo64. It could definitely be tested more but as an example of my average usage I think I'm happy with that.

I found my temps during Cinebench - 80.5C.

So for today I'm happy with the Slim. I'll just need to read a couple more posts before I'm determined to sell it for an AIO again though :p

That is interesting. I'm all over the place with my opinion on my Dark Rock Slim. I have had my PC on all day. It's currently running a batch export with Autodesk Task Scheduler while I'm looking at a decent sized model on Inventor and my temps are sitting in the mid-60s with a maximum of 75C according to HWInfo64. It could definitely be tested more but as an example of my average usage I think I'm happy with that.

I found my temps during Cinebench - 80.5C.

So for today I'm happy with the Slim. I'll just need to read a couple more posts before I'm determined to sell it for an AIO again though :p

I'm trying to think if eco mode on the 5800x with a dark rock slim is a good way to know if there is just a bottleneck in heat dissipation due to die density. My brain tells me if you run cinebench in eco mode and you are only say 4-5c lower there is probably just a bottleneck but if it turns out you are like 12-15c cooler then the slim isn't the bottleneck and better cooling in non eco mode would make a decent difference. Maybe I'm wrong but that seems like a decent idea. I do know that the 5600x does not really suffer from the temp issues of a 5800x since it's 65w but the extra 2 cores in the same area should give some indication of a temp bottleneck.

What temps did you have during those idle cad program that was worrying you?

Last edited:
I'm trying to think if eco mode on the 5800x with a dark rock slim is a good way to know if there is just a bottleneck in heat dissipation due to die density. My brain tells me if you run cinebench in eco mode and you are only say 4-5c lower there is probably just a bottleneck but if it turns out you are like 12-15c cooler then the slim isn't the bottleneck and better cooling in non eco mode would make a decent difference. Maybe I'm wrong but that seems like a decent idea. I do know that the 5600x does not really suffer from the temp issues of a 5800x since it's 65w but the extra 2 cores in the same area should give some indication of a temp bottleneck.

Is this eco mode using Ryzen Master? So just enable that and run cinebench and see what comes of it? I don't mind trying it out if it helps your research. It may have to be toward the weekend when I get some free time though if that's OK?

What temps did you have during those idle cad program that was worrying you?

This was the experience I had when temps went unusually high:
Not at all impressed with my BQ Dark Rock Slim. Need suggestions for another cooler as this one is getting sold. I had my Mystic light setting to suit CPU temps and noticed it went red (80+ degC). I had CAD running idle, Factorio just doing stuff in the background, a Google Meet on the go and a few tabs. Spotify and Excel sat idle.

Had it running NiceHash overnight and HWInfo64 says max CPU temp was 92.5 degC

Surely that's not right...

Please don't take offense, but this is where I draw the line between performance and aesthetics! There is no way I would have some like that in my case. It's an abomination!

none taken ;) this is anyway a closed PC without any window and it doesn't look THAT bad once finished, I know black one exists but 15s in black is not available where I live, and again, it's closed no RGB case
2D_q5BMCepu8r953RdGAtCqotV90cK1tmoQWwFGIdQshvqKDzevejfBpX0P0lweivvm1ioI-498ts_8E_Yji9eMmhFVK0SC_4RM_SHYBJlcblcksRPjoCo_B0mXW66LINu7Z6N6kCNzKuHi6Oosc4_HQyv7PA2vMrwrEP8LwpbdlBQGR4kNlyHqmPA7dZ7Y0n_QZTjKJIdPcSKAGxgGtZ72tc6WwbBxAX8lk9uwTP6b50_mkC3EezmfMFMS8BG7zytjNu7k9x0FeRTYn-aEiwC4AQnwEM94U__ROUE1lhpp5NqPadY5AZArwv1CDF7gMYeTQCwdkE-C4ddmtPjoAZY1us-3o-5zoW42M-2zsq7O7FJlcSyQYgB3oCRpeI8bE4-3l3PKAv9X5ySMmUhNT_BWv5Ei4X4FfBl3L2_u32z3GIFs2-I_pO_c3wbQ_qhY5SBVhmj2CqAynRSlH2FY3AkX5oWcDR7KIqAJl6BBBR48py5Xw3EDKG5eN5f4ZhDrhAEoiPw4QWzinZl6YLAqFN0SeL7eHhdOtZmWaHO6PJzw4umBw504KuIfg2n_KR8uJoue0OK65zfIpIvoVXbMcRtM839o7Q6nDHAoQ5brAYdvTOEHqjpmnrEqqIBGwpnJJAK-tZTf10YR1oTzoQd9T_ipLSESrvYGOyHe_9Cp5amcoI7KlhGCWgQg1HEokbnSvdVUIjyVQHJ85LD6MeRIFGP8Cjg=w841-h937-no

Last edited:
Is this eco mode using Ryzen Master? So just enable that and run cinebench and see what comes of it? I don't mind trying it out if it helps your research. It may have to be toward the weekend when I get some free time though if that's OK?
This was the experience I had when temps went unusually high:

It's the same ECO mode you have in BIOS. What Ryzen Master does is just enabling ECO mode in your AMD Overclocking section in bios (in PBO setting) you can achieve the same by altering PPT, TDC & EDC limits manually.

For 5800X ECO mode is brutal, it lowers PPT from 142W to 88W. Cinebench performance can take up to 10% hit (usually less) for multithread test. Zero performance loss for single thread. You can use CO & maybe rise the limit a little to anything between 100-120W and you'll get up to 99% of original performance and still significant temperature improvements ;)

Last edited:
How well would an Arctic Freezer II 360 AIO work compared to a Dark Rock Pro 4?
I've just got a 5800X and noticed the AFII 360 was £90 delivered so I'm tempted to swap if the difference would be worth it.

Just ordered a Dark Rock 4 to go with a 5600X for a new build for the father in law.
Should be enough to keep the 5600X under control, and give it some good PBO headroom. Did look at the DR Slim but the 4 was only a few £ more at the time, so seemed a better idea (and one of the largest coolers the case I ordered for him fits)

How well would an Arctic Freezer II 360 AIO work compared to a Dark Rock Pro 4?
I've just got a 5800X and noticed the AFII 360 was £90 delivered so I'm tempted to swap if the difference would be worth it.

I think there are a couple of people around here with a Dark Rock Pro 4. Hopefully someone can advise you.

My experience with the Arctic Freezer II 360 AIO is while its a good cooler and reviewed very highly, its probably complete overkill for a 5800X, it hasn't made much difference, little actually when compared with the £40 120mm AIO its replaced. The Dark Rock Pro 4 might actually be better suited to the 5800X.

I think there are a couple of people around here with a Dark Rock Pro 4. Hopefully someone can advise you.

My experience with the Arctic Freezer II 360 AIO is while its a good cooler and reviewed very highly, its probably complete overkill for a 5800X, it hasn't made much difference, little actually when compared with the £40 120mm AIO its replaced. The Dark Rock Pro 4 might actually be better suited to the 5800X.

Thanks, I already own the desk rock pro 4 but was willing to make the switch and sell it on if there were to be noticeable improvements.
I'll just stick with it as it's been great so far.

Back
Top Bottom