• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which CPU

Man of Honour
The 10850K seems to perform quite well for those uses, but unlike gaming, you'll take a hit in power consumption if run at full multi-threaded load for lengthy periods. The AMD 5 series are more efficient for productivity stuff.

From what I've seen, the 5600X and 3700X are not much different even in productivity, so if you're going 8 core, the 5800X seems sensible and in this use case, probably well worth the extra over the 5600X in the long-term. You'd also have a more responsive system if you're planning to multi-task. The 5600X does still do pretty well for a 6 core.

Soldato
just had a look at the bundle deal

you can still get 3900 + B550 Stric F for £535 which i consider a decent deal for the now.

or 3900 + B550 Tuf gaming for £510
or 3900 + B450 Tomahawk for £430

that is inside you budget and gives your 12c/24t of goodness for your encoding and scubbing.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
just had a look at the bundle deal

you can still get 3900 + B550 Stric F for £535 which i consider a decent deal for the now.

or 3900 + B550 Tuf gaming for £510
or 3900 + B450 Tomahawk for £430

that is inside you budget and gives your 12c/24t of goodness for your encoding and scubbing.

Where?

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
I can’t tell you as I will get banned. But just need to search the above bundle in WWW you will find it.

Thanks..

I'm thinking perhaps the 3900X is a bit overkill for my needs tbh, I don't really do any gaming and use Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom for editing my photography, and Premiere for video editing, that's about it. Premiere struggles the most, definitely sluggish. Lightroom is surprisingly not too bad but can slow down if doing advanced edits.

I'm thinking a 3700X might be sufficient, there is an i7 10700K for the same price as well. Spent all afternoon reading CPU comparisons.

Man of Honour
When it comes to video editing and encoding. The more cores the better. :).
From the puget and TPU benches I saw, Adobe stuff doesn't seem to scale that well, the difference between the 10700K v 10900K or 5800X v 5900X is often rather marginal. But, other stuff like encoding, yeah, it seems to scale good.

Soldato
What's with the nonsensical posts? He clearly stated his budget was £350ish so you recommend a CPU for ~£600! (added to the fact that you'd struggle to pick one up makes it even more daft.)

@smr
I do a lot of Photoshop and video work and it's a shame you didn't pick up the 5800X when OcUK were selling it for £380 as that is great in Photoshop and good for video work, though if a lot of your work is in Premiere Pro then that will favour going Intel (when results are close) as you will get the very real benefits of Quick Sync. Being able to use Thunderbolt also favoured Intel but you can also now get a B550 with Thunderbolt so that can now be discounted.

In truth, compared to what you have any modern CPU over the last couple generations will be a cosmic improvement. ;) Of the two you mentioned most definitely get the 10700k over the 3700x.

If you had a decent GPU my recommendation might have gone with the 3900X as those extra cores can give a nice boost in Premiere Pro plus you would have the benefit of the v14.5 Prem Pro including both GPU-accelerated encoding and decoding which would help offset the Intel Quick Sync advantage.

When GPU prices normalise you should probably look to investing in a decent midrange one as there are good benefits to be had in both Photoshop and Premier Pro when you can enable GPU acceleration.

Last edited:
Permabanned
What's with the nonsensical posts? He clearly stated his budget was £350ish so you recommend a CPU for ~£600! (added to the fact that you'd struggle to pick one up makes it even more daft.)

The OP needs to rethink his budget if he doesn't want to come back in 2 years complaining about crappy performance from his new 6-core Ryzen 5 5600X, for example. If he buys that, though :rolleyes:

The first post didn't include a specified budget :D

Soldato
The OP needs to rethink his budget if he doesn't want to come back in 2 years complaining about crappy performance from his new 6-core Ryzen 5 5600X, for example. If he buys that, though :rolleyes:

The first post didn't include a specified budget :D
Stop making stuff up that you don't or can't know about - you have no idea what he will be doing in 2 years or even if he will get a 5600X!

He only needs to rethink his budget if you are going to be actively contributing to his bank account. :rolleyes:

He mentioned his budget in his 2nd post which is post no 3, so stop being lazy in your reading especially when you try to give people advice, that way you can avoid looking stupid.

Last edited:

smr

smr

Soldato
OP

@smr
I do a lot of Photoshop and video work and it's a shame you didn't pick up the 5800X when OcUK were selling it for £380 as that is great in Photoshop and good for video work, though if a lot of your work is in Premiere Pro then that will favour going Intel (when results are close) as you will get the very real benefits of Quick Sync. Being able to use Thunderbolt also favoured Intel but you can also now get a B550 with Thunderbolt so that can now be discounted.

In truth, compared to what you have any modern CPU over the last couple generations will be a cosmic improvement. ;) Of the two you mentioned most definitely get the 10700k over the 3700x.

If you had a decent GPU my recommendation might have gone with the 3900X as those extra cores can give a nice boost in Premiere Pro plus you would have the benefit of the v14.5 Prem Pro including both GPU-accelerated encoding and decoding which would help offset the Intel Quick Sync advantage.

When GPU prices normalise you should probably look to investing in a decent midrange one as there are good benefits to be had in both Photoshop and Premier Pro when you can enable GPU acceleration.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I saw the 5800X for around £380 a week or so ago, thought / knew that was a good price but tbh, after the AMD launch I have been busy and hadn't had time to read up on what to buy hence the reluctance to buy it then, even though I know it would go back up in price.

The only slight worry about the 5800X is these high temperatures some people seem to be having, but there again I'd be looking to add liquid cooling as I have now, I just prefer to cool the CPU that way instead of air. Hopefully they might be that price again soon.

It sounds like AM4 is being supported for a while and there's the option to go straight in with a PCI 4.0 setup right now with AMD, buy an AMD CPU and plug and play with the AM4 / PCI 4 compatibility.

That said I'm not sure whether pci 4 is even that important at the moment and for the foreseeable. I think it would probably make most sense to go for at least 8 cores and 16 threads...

For a budget of around £350ish from what I can see there are at least the following cpus within budget or close to it, in no particular order;

1) Wait for the 5800X to come back to £380 (if it ever will)
2) Buy an i7 10700K CPU 8C/16T 3.8Ghz for around £315
3) Buy an AMD 3800X for £320
4) Buy a 3700X 8C/16T (as I'd most likely see 0 performance difference between this and the 3800X) for £290
5) Buy an i9 10850K 10th gen for £380

Which platform and CPU to go for....

Permabanned
Thanks for the advice. Yes I saw the 5800X for around £380 a week or so ago, thought / knew that was a good price but tbh, after the AMD launch I have been busy and hadn't had time to read up on what to buy hence the reluctance to buy it then, even though I know it would go back up in price.

The only slight worry about the 5800X is these high temperatures some people seem to be having, but there again I'd be looking to add liquid cooling as I have now, I just prefer to cool the CPU that way instead of air. Hopefully they might be that price again soon.

It sounds like AM4 is being supported for a while and there's the option to go straight in with a PCI 4.0 setup right now with AMD, buy an AMD CPU and plug and play with the AM4 / PCI 4 compatibility.

That said I'm not sure whether pci 4 is even that important at the moment and for the foreseeable. I think it would probably make most sense to go for at least 8 cores and 16 threads...

For a budget of around £350ish from what I can see there are at least the following cpus within budget or close to it, in no particular order;

4) Buy a 3700X 8C/16T (as I'd most likely see 0 performance difference between this and the 3800X) for £290

6) Buy the 12-core Ryzen 9 5900X with the ultimate performance, normal temperatures because it has 3 chiplets and with double the cache size L1+L2+L3 ~70 MB at no matter what the price is.

Soldato

First of all, I'm sure I don't need to tell you but ignore @4K8KW10 as his post is idiotic in the context of your requirements.

Of the CPU's you listed then the 10850K is by far the best all round CPU as you don't have a midrange GPU in your system.

Soldato
Soldato
The only thing crappy in this thread is your advice.

The last time I checked cpubench doesn't edit photo or encode video. If you weren't being so bombastic then you would have at least found a Puget benchmark, where you would have seen the difference (in Prem Pro) is less than 20% compared to the 70% you're trying to site. The difference in Photoshop is even less and marginal.

They (Puget) also advise going with Intel due to the Quick Sync feature which is very relevant in @smr case as he doesn't have a midrange GPU.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
I'd be coming from an i7 930 4 core CPU at 2.8Ghz, built in 2010. I think any chip over £300 would be a stratospheric improvement over what I have, as mentioned!

First of all, I'm sure I don't need to tell you but ignore @4K8KW10 as his post is idiotic in the context of your requirements.

Of the CPU's you listed then the 10850K is by far the best all round CPU as you don't have a midrange GPU in your system.

Thanks, will read up a bit more on the 10850K.

Back
Top Bottom