• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which CPU

Soldato
IIRC the 10700k scored the same as the 10850K in Puget's Prem Pro benchmark which I found slightly anomalous as that is 8cores v 10cores, though should there be little difference between them then you could save yourself the odd ~£60 and put that towards some decent 3600Mhz memory or good size SSD, as they will also have an impact. Much more so the SSD.

Last edited:
Soldato
IIRC the 10700k scored the same as the 10850K in Puget's Prem Pro benchmark which I found slightly anomalous as that is 8cores v 10cores, though should there be little difference between them then you could save yourself the odd ~£60 and put that towards some decent 3600Mhz memory or good size SSD, as they will also have an impact. More so the SSD.
The 10700k can be had new for under 300 so well within budget aswell

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Your best bet is the 10850k mate as martin has said

Thanks

IIRC the 10700k scored the same as the 10850K in Puget's Prem Pro benchmark which I found slightly anomalous as that is 8cores v 10cores, though should there be little difference between them then you could save yourself the odd ~£60 and put that towards some decent 3600Mhz memory or good size SSD, as they will also have an impact. More so the SSD.

I have a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD at the moment. Partly the reason why this i7 930 cpu has lasted for so long is by utilising SSD performance. I would need a new PSU, Mobo and RAM though. I have a massive Corsair Obsidian 800D full size tower as well but I don't want a case as big this time around, although that's probably another reason why I'm still running a 10 year old PSU with my Computer on 10 hours a day - massive amounts of flow for air.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Are you are a threadtroll? :)

Ironic? I don't really understand the purpose of your input here? It's the equivalent of me coming along with you when you go to buy your next car whilst incessantly insisting that you should buy a Bugatti Veyron because it's better than what you are looking at, and outside your budget.

Or am I missing something?

Permabanned
Ironic? I don't really understand the purpose of your input here? It's the equivalent of me coming along with you when you go to buy your next car whilst incessantly insisting that you should buy a Bugatti Veyron because it's better than what you are looking at, and outside your budget.

Or am I missing something?

Yes, start with AMD platform first, no Intel, no sane person should recommend Intel today.

Soldato
Your best bet is the 10850k mate as martin has said
I would disagree. I would say the best bet is still with 3900 bundle deals. (not 3900x)

the core performance between intel and AMD during editing is non-perceptable. but the big difference between the encoding time is HIGHLY perceptable.

a lot of editing machines are AMD 16C parts or Threadrippers for that very reason

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...obe-Premiere-Pro-143/Hardware-Recommendations

wouldnt use quick sync for encoding tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would disagree. I would say the best bet is still with 3900 bundle deals. (not 3900x)

the core performance between intel and AMD during editing is non-perceptable. but the big difference between the encoding time is HIGHLY perceptable.

a lot of editing machines are AMD 16C parts or Threadrippers for that very

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...obe-Premiere-Pro-143/Hardware-Recommendations

wouldnt use quick sync for encoding tbh.
Ah yeh forgot about the 3900 thats another to consider

Soldato
also have a look at the bench results between 10th gen intel and Zen 2 processors

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...n-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-1763/#BenchmarkResults

pic_disp.php

Soldato

Are you devoid of basic English comprehension or is English not your first language? Where is the 70% difference you were siting?
  • smr stated he uses Photoshop and Premiere Pro so you post up a Puget Lightroom chart when there are more applicable Puget Photoshop and Lightroom charts readily available but still nothing remotely close to the 70% difference you mentioned.
  • Even in the Techpowerup chart you posted the difference between the 5900X and the 11700K is 5900X is ~10%. So that is £600 vs £300 for a 10% improvement. So once again, the only thing crappy in this thread is your advice.

Yes, start with AMD platform first, no Intel, no sane person should recommend Intel today.

Until recently, Intel has held a commanding lead for Premiere Pro at the mid-range due to the fact that the Intel 10th Gen CPUs supported Quick Sync which Premiere Pro could use to greatly improve performance when working with H.264 and HEVC media
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...o-AMD-Ryzen-5000-Series-CPU-Performance-1960/

Smr does not have a midrange dedicated GPU therefore the Quick Sync advantage is still there.

@pc-guy you probably don't use Prem Pro because you are misunderstanding the use of Quick Sync in Prem Pro. I know of a few YouTubers who moved back to Intel from Threadripper purely down to Quick Sync in Intel.

Last edited:
Soldato
@pc-guy you probably don't use Prem Pro because you are misunderstanding the use of Quick Sync in Prem Pro. I know of a few YouTubers who moved back to Intel from Threadripper purely down to Quick Sync in Intel.
i dont have intel CPU, I do use premier pro. i thought the quicksync is crap for encoding as its quality is poor and colour and rendition is bad as well? just what i read. I have Nvidia GPU for that purpose anyway

Soldato
i dont have intel CPU, I do use premier pro. i thought the quicksync is crap for encoding as its quality is poor and colour and rendition is bad as well? just what i read. I have Nvidia GPU for that purpose anyway
Yes I agree but you are probably referring to the Nvenc encoder but that is not how it works in Premiere Pro. He shows the differences in the video I linked and for all intents and purposes they are very negligible.

If he did have a GPU then I would have favoured the 3900X but for his system then the only real choice is between either the 10700K or the 10850K.

Soldato
Also,OP I honestly think some here are just getting bogged down in details WRT to CPUs,as people are just measurebating over things way too much. Lots of people have moved over to laptops for production and image editing stuff due to their portability. Even the best laptop CPUs are beaten by even a £300 desktop CPU in many cases.

Your CPU is ancient,so basically even a £185 Core i5 10600K or Ryzen 5 3600 will destroy it. If anything a bog standard Core i7 10700,with a Hyper 212 plonk on it,with the cheapest not crap Z490 motherboard would be a lightspeed upgrade over what you have. That would be under £300 for the CPU and aftermarket cooler.

The main issue with the Core i9 is the motherboards and cooling you need for it. WRT,to the Ryzen 7 5800X you can get it in bundles withe B550M Mortar for £380~£400 but a CPU cooler needs to be added. The Ryzen 9 3900 non-X bundles comes included with a CPU cooler,and the Ryzen 7 3700X has the Wraith Prism which is just beind a CM Hyper 212 in performance.

Also,one thing is Rocketlake is also due in a month or two. One area which it does improve in a lot is the IGP,so it could be also worth seeing what that brings to the table.

Edit!!

Also if you want to spend less money,but get a decent boost have you tried getting one of those secondhand Xeons for your motherboard? One of them is the Xeon X5670.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD at the moment. Partly the reason why this i7 930 cpu has lasted for so long is by utilising SSD performance. I would need a new PSU, Mobo and RAM though. I have a massive Corsair Obsidian 800D full size tower as well but I don't want a case as big this time around, although that's probably another reason why I'm still running a 10 year old PSU with my Computer on 10 hours a day - massive amounts of flow for air.
If you do get rid of the 800D and put it on the MM let me know - I adore those cases. :)

Also when/if you do get the new CPU post back here as I'm interested as to where you feel the difference (which should be stratospheric!) in your particularly usage case. Also while you mention PSU you can't skimp on the that; as much attention needs to be paid to that as to your CPU but thankfully the choice shouldn't be as hard. ;)

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
If you do get rid of the 800D and put it on the MM let me know - I adore those cases. :)

Also when/if you do get the new CPU post back here as I'm interested as to where you feel the difference (which should be stratospheric!) in your particularly usage case. Also while you mention PSU you can't skimp on the that; as much attention needs to be paid to that as to your CPU but thankfully the choice shouldn't be as hard. ;)

Yes I'll put it on the MM, will let you know, the only thing is it is missing the top USB sockets cover and the drive bay door but I probably could have got them from Corsair if I'd emailed, I just never bothered to get around to it, you can probably do so, or if not pick them up for a few quid from somewhere. It's a fantastic case, I love Corsair as well, but I just feel like having a change with a new system.

I am leaning towards the i7 10850K with it's current price at £380, I'd be thinking Motherboard next, CPU cooler, RAM and PSU.

Soldato
I am leaning towards the i7 10850K with it's current price at £380, I'd be thinking Motherboard next, CPU cooler, RAM and PSU.

The issue is that the Core i9 CPUs do require a decent motherboard and decent cooling too. Just search for power throttling issues WRT to the Core i9 10850K and Core i9 10900K,and that lower price starts getting eaten up by needing a decent motherboard and decent cooling.

With the Core i7 CPUs,you are only loosing two cores,but it should be much easier to cool,and require less of a motherboard.

Plus honestly if you do intend to not use a dedicated dGPU,Rocketlake makes some significant changes to the Intel IGP structure(Intel Xe) and is out next month. The current Cometlake CPUs basically use the same Skylake core which debuted in 2015 with the Core i7 6700K. Rocketlake has a new core.

You will also get access to PCI-E 4.0(which Intel lacks now,but AMD has) which will be useful for faster storage. The Core i7 11700K doesn't appear to cost much more than the Core i7 10700K:
https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-1...ke-s-cpus-prices-listed-by-multiple-retailers

It might be worth seeing how it performs.

Back
Top Bottom