• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which graphics settings would you turn down first?

Associate
So for reasons I've had to upgrade from a 1080p screen to an ultra wide 1440. (3400x1440, or something). Unfortunately it's still the same 2060 running the display.

What graphics settings would you turn down first, in such a situation? Excluding the obvious answer of Ray tracing. Take that as given.

Associate
Depends on the game for me. Shadows being the easiest example, when on low they can look bad enough that they kill the immersion. But in some games low is fine, but equally no shadows can work.

Start at low on everything and work up from there. Or even try some things off depending on how much performance you want.

I'd even consider resolution scaling as option if a new card is going to be purchased in the near future.

Associate
I'll usually just find an article or video for optimised settings for the specific game, but shadows is definitely one of the first to drop, especially if it's something like RT shadows (I'm looking at you, Dirt 5 and SOTTR).

Fortunately I've not yet had to do that with my setup when running on my new 120Hz 4K TV, but there'll soon be games I install that will require tweaking.

Associate
High preset is often a good starting place. Low usually sacrifices too much image quality, depending upon the game Medium settings can also be good. Texture quality should probably stay at high at 1440p unless you are VRAM limited. As stated above, shadows can often be turned down to medium as can cloud quality.

I personally disable motion blur, chromatic abberation and film grain on all games which can save 1-2 fps altogether.

Since you have a 2060, the best thing to do would be to use DLSS quality setting at 1440p, which will use a 1080p image and add some antialiasing and AI magic to make the 1440p image sometimes look better than native, all for close to 1080p performance.

In the Nvidia Control Panel you could choose all the performance settings for texture filtering and anisotrophic optimisations. Choosing prefer maximum performance over balanced power mode is debatable, as it might offer more perfomance but could just stop your GPU from cooling down when the load is low and thus making performance worse over longer play sessions.

You should 100% NOT be running any raytracing effects on a 20 series under a 2080 as you already mentioned in your post.

Is your new monitor G-sync compatible? If so, what refresh rate does it have? You might not need such a high framerate if you have G-sync enabled. Otherwise you might need to reduce settings until you can get a stable framerate above 60 to run with V-sync (ideally triplebuffered) on in order to avoid screen tearing.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes as others have said find a video that shows you optimized settings for the particular game you play, it pays dividends to find the best setting for each individual option rather than just using the low,medium,high presets, and each game needs its own unique config to get best results

Last edited:
Soldato
Shadows and lighting followed by AA, unless there is some obscure setting. Draw distance depending on the shadows, lighting and game type. Volumetric type fog/gas/sky is another good one to drop normally.

Last edited:
Associate
So for reasons I've had to upgrade from a 1080p screen to an ultra wide 1440. (3400x1440, or something). Unfortunately it's still the same 2060 running the display.

What graphics settings would you turn down first, in such a situation?
2060 at that res. in modern games? I'd just squint, or sniff an onion before playing. :)

Back
Top Bottom