• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which graphics settings would you turn down first?

Soldato
I always drop Shadows to medium.
Shadows has a big hit on CPU+GPU and think it uses a chunk of VRAM and I dont notice it much.

Motion blur: turn off
Chromatic Abboration: turn off
Film grain: turn off

Associate
I just use presets, life is too short.

Spending an hour or two fine tuning the graphics settings to my preference is something I genuinely look forward too in a new game. Guess I'm just weird.

Motion blur is an auto-off in any game.

Agreed but motion blur doesn't really cost much GPU compute time, i.e. it should make zero difference to fps.

Ok, I'll bite. To what resolution would you go? Why?

I know this isn't directed at me but I feel like answering. After upgrading to a 4K (2160p) display, I found that setting the game to 2560x1440 (not resolution scaling, literally setting the output resolution lower) and letting the TV upscale that to 3840x2160 looked 98% as good, and sometimes looks and runs better than DLSS or ingame resolution scaling. But I have LG OLED and the inbuilt upscaler is quite good, upscalers on PC monitors are often of lesser quality compared to TVs and sometimes completely absent, i.e. the monitor just does nearest-neighbour upscaling which looks like crap.

Settings I turn down first (in order):
AntiAliasing
Volumetric fog
shadows quality
reflection quality
crowd quality (for games that have crowds).

Last edited:
Soldato
Every Blurr effect followed by shadows. Mainly everything that ruins the image first ie motion blurr, film grain and any other useless effect.

@TNA will be in to tell you i have Vega 64 so i turn everything down in recent games

Last edited:
Associate
Couldb you explain that slightly? Why if in the near future?

Because you've got a nice new monitor i presume you'd want to use it at its fullest and not using lower resolutions. But that would be an easy quick fix as opposed to trying to tweak settings as ideally you want med-high settings at full resolution and no use of scaling software be that in game or driver based, imo anyway.

Associate
I know this isn't directed at me but I feel like answering. After upgrading to a 4K (2160p) display, I found that setting the game to 2560x1440 (not resolution scaling, literally setting the output resolution lower) and letting the TV upscale that to 3840x2160 looked 98% as good, and sometimes looks and runs better than DLSS or ingame resolution scaling. But I have LG OLED and the inbuilt upscaler is quite good, upscalers on PC monitors are often of lesser quality compared to TVs and sometimes completely absent, i.e. the monitor just does nearest-neighbour upscaling which looks like crap.

Agreed about the settings tweaking ;)

I'll have to try this upscaling out on my LG now. I know for even DVDs it does a good job that i am happy with.

Associate
Shadows, motion blur and grass details although the biggest frame dropper easily goes to Physx, i can still recall the slideshow effect when you get to a certain stage in Mirrors Edge.I don't think that was also soley to blame for Batman AK's initial performance problems.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, always enable DLSS / other upscaling technology first. I wouldn't usually bother trying settings below the performance preset though.

Then resolution (instead of).

If you only need a few more FPS, then creating a custom resolution can work well. E.g. create one that has 10 or 20% fewer pixels than the native resolution.

Reducing resolution is generally a good option as it reduces overall GPU load and VRAM consumption (and a RTX 2060 doesn't have that much).

In a few games you might be CPU bound, so then you'd have to look at the options to determine what settings to reduce.

Last edited:
Associate
I turn this off even if I don’t need the extra FPS.
Problem is that motion blur is designed to make animated image look smoother with low FPS. Hence, if FPS isn't an issue it would be off most of the time but if FPS is below 60 it can help a lot with it feeling jerky.

Associate
L
Agreed about the settings tweaking ;)

I'll have to try this upscaling out on my LG now. I know for even DVDs it does a good job that i am happy with.
LG supposedly uses AI in their upscaling (depending on the model), so it might not be that far off DLSS.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
All the settings sliders to the right, play the game. If it’s not a smooth experience, enable DLSS Quality and try again.

That’s all I’ve had to do so far thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom