• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which graphics settings would you turn down first?

Caporegime
After maxing everything, I usually start with adjusting the level/type of AA and then gradually work my way down... as said, probably shadows/the more taxing lighting related settings next, e.g. SSAO or God rays.

I tend to only use presets if I'm struggling to find a balance, as I enjoy the tweaking or 'for science' tinkering anyway.

As said, motion blur is always turned off/down as far as it will go, and settings like depth of field/chromatic aberration are almost always switched off, too.

Last edited:
Soldato
So for reasons I've had to upgrade from a 1080p screen to an ultra wide 1440. (3400x1440, or something). Unfortunately it's still the same 2060 running the display.

What graphics settings would you turn down first, in such a situation? Excluding the obvious answer of Ray tracing. Take that as given.

The resolution.

Associate
OP
Is your new monitor G-sync compatible? If so, what refresh rate does it have? You might not need such a high framerate if you have G-sync enabled. Otherwise you might need to reduce settings until you can get a stable framerate above 60 to run with V-sync (ideally triplebuffered) on in order to avoid screen tearing.
Both g sync and freesync. Deliberate buying choice, knowing the 2060 would have to be replaced some time! Currently set to 60hz, but could go up to 144 - if I want to hear the GPU cry.

Associate
Both g sync and freesync. Deliberate buying choice, knowing the 2060 would have to be replaced some time! Currently set to 60hz, but could go up to 144 - if I want to hear the GPU cry.
So you can just enable G-sync, disable V-sync and leave the monitor at 144Hz but set a framerate cap in the Nvidia control panel at 60fps. Then find the in game settings that allow you to run smoothly in game with an framerate that stays mostly at 60fps (occasional dips toward 45 should still be playable but most people agree a stable 60 feels better: You have to choose whether you prefer fps or image quality and balance them out).

Regarding resolution, as previously said, use DLSS quality mode at your monitor's native resolution in game. If DLSS is not supported then you will need to lower in game settings to remain at your native resolution.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, I'll bite. To what resolution would you go? Why?

I have no idea what options you will be offered in each game. But a lower one.

You have more than doubled the pixels you're asking the card to draw with your screen change and telling the game to run at lower resolution gives you back performance you've lost.

Soldato
In your case with a 2060 you have to be much more mindful of VRAM usage, particularly at that resolution, imo that's what's gating your FPS the most esp. as it's very easy to go past that 6 GB in most modern games.
People say shadows a lot but truth is it doesn't quite work like that anymore, and in general there's no actual rule of thumb because there's too many exceptions to take into account. You absolutely have to figure it out game by game.

Check this out:

Back
Top Bottom