Which supermarket do you use for your weekly food shop (online delivery)?

Caporegime
My general shop is with ASDA, if I fancy having a salad then I'll go to Morrisons instead because they have an excellent deli counter and they're Best Range Coleslaw.. is the best
+1 on the salad counter. I used to love that. They have a great deli section at Morrison’s as well. Really nice hams, cheeses and things. Better than other supermarkets.

Soldato
I used to do the ASDA home shopping delivery driving when I was at uni. It was a fantastic job. Some days I’d have 12 drops and 6 hours to do them in. I’d end up sitting reading someone else’s newspaper for an hour.
I’d turn up outside your door three hours early, if you were there; great! Otherwise you arrive home and I’m there, great!

Doubt you’d get away with that now, but it was great.

To answer the OP, neither. I shop at Lidl first and then Tesco to get what I can’t from Lidl.

Associate
We, (she), uses them all. ASDA, Tesco, Morrisons and occasionally Iceland and Sainsbury's. Depends on her mood I guess.

We get free delivery with Morrisons and a 10% discount (both NHS), but it's still cheaper to go with the others I think. Morrisons have been pretty bad of late with very short shelf lives on perishable goods, sometimes out of date on the day of delivery.

Caporegime
Used Amazon via Morrisons a few times but it was bad. Every single one had numerous bags missing and the final one, they just didn't turn up at all.

Soldato
I use HelloFresh and sometimes Gousto if don't like the recipes one week, I would have a treat in the form of a takeaway or frozen pizza as it's only 6 meals a week.

Soldato
Waitrose for me, however as said it's not the cheapest, but i've actually not found we spend much more vs shopping elsewhere. One thing i have noticed though is the fruit lasts so much longer vs the likes of Aldi/Lidl and on the odd occasion i've had issues with short life products they refund you virtually instantly.

I guess Asda is probably the cheapest with a decent delivery service.

Associate
We tend to do the shopping in Aldi and Lidl with the pickups from Tesco for gluten free options but appreciate the need for online delivery. I feel online they're much and such with discounts and offers taken into consideration.

In terms of tips, lists lists lists. I can't recommend them more. We type out a list every week on Apple Notes which goes from Thursday to Thursday (Thursdays are quieter for us shopping) and this will have each day and what meal we plan on having, then we work through the aisles. Going veg, meat, cupboard items, freezer items and any extras like desserts, alcohol etc etc. Sounds like a big old faff but after a month or so its just a copy and paste job unless we've found a new recipe to try out. Also works well for us because we can share the burden of typing it together. Having lists like this means we seldom do a 'second trip' to the shops, saving time and money.

Also worth pointing out that most of the supermarkets offer 'order again' or 'favourites' facilities online so after a few shops, you can click a button and it auto populates the shopping list based on previous orders. Easy to keep track of money spent this way too.

Re ordering from Hello Fresh/Gousto

Sometimes its a case of having more money than time or more time than money, just got to make the right decision for you. I've seen me order from the likes of these when offers are on so I will have an easy week but realistically, I wouldn't say there is a huge difference overall.

If I write a list up for a typical working week shop, get it delivered and prep tupperware boxes to be frozen for lunches and dinners, it'll take me 3 hours max and cost ~£70 for two for 7 days, including breakfasts and lunches. If I order a meal box, it'll take 25mins tops and cost £40 for 5 days of dinners but I'm still going to have to prep and cook and then I still have to worry about breakfast and lunches. For me, it works out better spending £70 and a couple hours doing prep but I appreciate for some, it makes more sense to have dinners covered and pickup breakfast/lunch on the move at work.

Its a lifestyle choice, you can tell yourself its because you don't have time but if you factor in trips to pret or the corner shop, I really don't think they're hugely different. And trips to pret/corner shop might come across small but I've seen me spend £100+ a week on takeaway breakfasts and lunches.

Soldato
Since Waitrose have done away with bags so your whole shop is rolling around in crates we've switched to Ocado. So much better and organised in plastic bags, so all your heating isn't escaping whilst you scoop all your Waitrose items up individually. Self righteous arse holes didn't think that out too well.

I am just amazed people are so accepting of it, a bag is such a basic useful invention, and picking up individual small items out of the bottom of a crate feels so medieval.

This week had a lazy ASDA driver, it was hard to even get him to hold up the crate so I wasn't bending down to the ground, so it might be Ocado again for next would be Asda order in two weeks (Iceland with bags in the meantime).

Soldato
I have never used Ocado before but do supply to them through work. I have always wondered what is the purpose of Ocado as they are basically a delivery company for the brands and their own label stuff is small and basically repackaged material from other brands. Like has already been mentioned they used to do the delivery for Waitrose but then they were dropped and then picked up M&S. Surely now post lockdown a lot of the major chains have got their deliveries and click and collect to a T so what do they offer that the other companies do not?

First and foremost delivery customers are not second class to in store customers, which is how traditional supermarkets tend to approach it. Since Ocado is a delivery only service. This usually means much better dates and availability.

Also they still provide bags which for some of us is really important.

In the Waitrose days I felt they were easily the best quality food as well. M&S sadly is a downgrade.

Soldato
In the Waitrose days I felt they were easily the best quality food as well. M&S sadly is a downgrade.

Same, i switched direct to waitrose not long after the switch.

Ocado have a good bag recycling policy too

Yeah, getting 5p back per bag was great. It's a shame Waitrose didn't move to that model as opposed to just removing bags completely.

The Ocado monthly pass thing for delivery was good too, most other supermarkets still offer it too, yet Waitrose stick with a flat £3 charge. It was great when it was free, but never really sustainable, but in a month that's £12-£15. A flat rate for regular shoppers feels like much better value.

Soldato
I am just amazed people are so accepting of it, a bag is such a basic useful invention, and picking up individual small items out of the bottom of a crate feels so medieval.

This week had a lazy ASDA driver, it was hard to even get him to hold up the crate so I wasn't bending down to the ground, so it might be Ocado again for next would be Asda order in two weeks (Iceland with bags in the meantime).

It's not like we had any choice, their new CEO is driving that business into the ground much like M&S had a race to the bottom to compete with Tesco. We've filled in a few surveys, emailed responses to the change coming emails and spoken with the drivers. If it wasn't for Omicron I'd be giving their local store manager a piece of my mind over it. It's not just the hike in delivery charges which initially were to also cover the cost of bags but the ushering in of an attitude that has replaced 'the customer is always right' manual. Even if you're in store you get a load of attitude for wanting a bag even though you're paying for it and can't always know exactly how many bags to take with you. As I've pointed out to them if they want to virtue signal which is what this non bag policy is then they could have replaced them with paper bags like Morrisons and Aldi have done which AFAIK are made of recycled material(s), recyclable and biodegradable which would be far better than people loosing their heating out the door whilst scrabbling around on the floor repacking stuff. Since we both have medical conditions we are forced to kneel and repack although they do offer to take some bags and help do some from the crates still on the van, it really isn't how customer service should be in 2021.

Soldato
Same, i switched direct to waitrose not long after the switch.

Yeah, getting 5p back per bag was great. It's a shame Waitrose didn't move to that model as opposed to just removing bags completely.

The Ocado monthly pass thing for delivery was good too, most other supermarkets still offer it too, yet Waitrose stick with a flat £3 charge. It was great when it was free, but never really sustainable, but in a month that's £12-£15. A flat rate for regular shoppers feels like much better value.

It's 10p per bag now.

I wouldn't mind the £3 charge if it were a small order, under £30 say, but when you're ordering in excess of £100 I think it ought to be free and a free paper without the only free after 4pm nonsense. It seems they're hell bent on treating everyone the same and pushing away their most lucrative customers.

Soldato
First and foremost delivery customers are not second class to in store customers, which is how traditional supermarkets tend to approach it. Since Ocado is a delivery only service. This usually means much better dates and availability.

Also they still provide bags which for some of us is really important.

It's odd to think of M&S to be a downgrade but I know what you mean, we've had that same conversation here. You need to be rather picky what ranges you order from in terms of ready made meals. Gastro, Cook and their curry & pizza ranges are all good but some of the others are barely comparable to Iceland. There's no such thing as value in M&S, if it seems good value you'll be disappointed with the flavour or portion size and could probably have done better with an Iceland equivalent.

Back
Top Bottom