Which supermarket do you use for your weekly food shop (online delivery)?

Soldato
It's odd to think of M&S to be a downgrade but I know what you mean, we've had that same conversation here. You need to be rather picky what ranges you order from in terms of ready made meals. Gastro, Cook and their curry & pizza ranges are all good but some of the others are barely comparable to Iceland. There's no such thing as value in M&S, if it seems good value you'll be disappointed with the flavour or portion size and could probably have done better with an Iceland equivalent.

Stop buying ready meals.

Soldato
It's 10p per bag now.

I wouldn't mind the £3 charge if it were a small order, under £30 say, but when you're ordering in excess of £100 I think it ought to be free and a free paper without the only free after 4pm nonsense. It seems they're hell bent on treating everyone the same and pushing away their most lucrative customers.

Oh i hadn't actually realised it was free after 4pm. I might consider changing the delivery time. I don't care about the paper, i even try and say no paper in the comments, but it comes anyway.

Out of interest, do you ever get vouchers from them? I always ask what the point is in the MyWaitrose card other than a free food magazine, and the people in the shop suggests i should get free coupons, but i never seem to receive anything, despite spending ~£80 a week.

Soldato
Stop buying ready meals.

We can't all cook everything from scratch. I'm not just referring to full ready meals, I'm also referring to things that are prepared, like a couple of peppery steaks that you put with fresh vegetables and some carbs. The really good ones like some of the Charlie Bigham's ones (Thai Green Curry) are a special treat instead of ordering takeaways. I think the ready meals are less bad for you than a takeaway where you don't know how much salt or ghee they've used.

Soldato
Oh i hadn't actually realised it was free after 4pm. I might consider changing the delivery time. I don't care about the paper, i even try and say no paper in the comments, but it comes anyway.

Out of interest, do you ever get vouchers from them? I always ask what the point is in the MyWaitrose card other than a free food magazine, and the people in the shop suggests i should get free coupons, but i never seem to receive anything, despite spending ~£80 a week.

The newspaper thing is a bit bizarre since the terms for a free one are different instore to the delivery service.

We've had a few coupons recently for £10 off an order over £100 I think it was. This weeks order was the last one we had to use. Nothing as yet for next week, they may be busy enough without needing to give them out for that. I'm not sure if we're receiving the coupons because they realise we've gone elsewhere, to Ocado mostly. I've also noticed them sending emails to remind you that they've got delivery slots free which for a long time was unheard of.

The newspaper thing is almost always wrong on the delivery as they normally add another one on even though usually there is only one delivered so the driver has to sort out a refund as the voucher they apply only cancels out one of them.

Soldato
It's not like we had any choice, their new CEO is driving that business into the ground much like M&S had a race to the bottom to compete with Tesco. We've filled in a few surveys, emailed responses to the change coming emails and spoken with the drivers. If it wasn't for Omicron I'd be giving their local store manager a piece of my mind over it. It's not just the hike in delivery charges which initially were to also cover the cost of bags but the ushering in of an attitude that has replaced 'the customer is always right' manual. Even if you're in store you get a load of attitude for wanting a bag even though you're paying for it and can't always know exactly how many bags to take with you. As I've pointed out to them if they want to virtue signal which is what this non bag policy is then they could have replaced them with paper bags like Morrisons and Aldi have done which AFAIK are made of recycled material(s), recyclable and biodegradable which would be far better than people loosing their heating out the door whilst scrabbling around on the floor repacking stuff. Since we both have medical conditions we are forced to kneel and repack although they do offer to take some bags and help do some from the crates still on the van, it really isn't how customer service should be in 2021.

I agree, I contacted the Asda CEO about paper bags, the response was along the lines its too expensive so tough luck. Ultimately I think bags got canned for ££, and the environment gave them the perfect excuse to get it done. I said the cost argument is weak as customers who want the bags would pay for it, if its a £1 a bag so be it, but they wasnt interested.

This is why I contacted my MP as they clearly wont do it unless the law obliges them to.

Soldato
I agree, I contacted the Asda CEO about paper bags, the response was along the lines its too expensive so tough luck. Ultimately I think bags got canned for ££, and the environment gave them the perfect excuse to get it done. I said the cost argument is weak as customers who want the bags would pay for it, if its a £1 a bag so be it, but they wasnt interested.

This is why I contacted my MP as they clearly wont do it unless the law obliges them to.

Yes it's laughable that the big boys can't get it right when Morrison's and Aldi manage to do it and not charge the earth for a paper bag.

Soldato
Tesco, generally.....for my bigger grocery orders using click n collect. Small Cooperative around the corner for last minute things. Finding Tesco's Clubcard holder offer prices are very good at the moment.

Caporegime
We can't all cook everything from scratch. I'm not just referring to full ready meals, I'm also referring to things that are prepared, like a couple of peppery steaks that you put with fresh vegetables and some carbs. The really good ones like some of the Charlie Bigham's ones (Thai Green Curry) are a special treat instead of ordering takeaways. I think the ready meals are less bad for you than a takeaway where you don't know how much salt or ghee they've used.
I'm on medication that said to avoid processed foods such as almost everything I would normally eat.... the medication greatly increases diabetes risk apparently and can cause me to store fat

I was on google trying to find out what I can eat... it seems just because something sounds healthy doesn't mean it actually is.

brown rice is great, oh but not if it's ready made uncle bens with preservatives etc.... makes me suspect every ready made food that attempts to sound healthy in reality is far from it.

some sites were even saying to avoid dheli counter chicken breast etc....

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on medication that said to avoid processed foods such as almost everything I would normally eat.... the medication greatly increases diabetes risk apparently and can cause me to store fat

I was on google trying to find out what I can eat... it seems just because something sounds healthy doesn't mean it actually is.

brown rice is great, oh but not if it's ready made uncle bens with preservatives etc.... makes me suspect every ready made food that attempts to sound healthy in reality is far from it.

some sites were even saying to avoid dheli counter chicken breast etc....

This is something I have talked about before as well, not sure on here but have done in meetings and such.

We have a drive in this country to do things like reduce sugar content, but there is nothing been done on making actual healthy food that doesnt need to be manually prepared, there seems to be an attitude if you want to eat healthy then you need to become a home chef. For people who are not very mobile this is a problem.

As I understand it lots of ready meal type stuff has preservatives and might also have ingredient's designed to add flavouring, improve appearance, increase profit etc.

I think a drive needs to be done where one can buy raw food, designed to be eaten by one person, that doesnt need to be manually prepared. You just stick it in a cooking device. It has to be possible, but I expect capitalism is getting in the way, if you have no preservatives, then there is for sure a hit on profit as food cannot be stored in the same way and for the same length of time. Likewise get rid of flavour enhancers which are probably been used to substitute as is low cost ingredient's.

There is also a medication that the NHS has that prevents you body storing as much fat, but they really really dont want to use it, I have been told its literally a last resort. I dont know if its due to side effects, or NHS saving money, or ideology (just eat less and move more) , I hope its not the latter.

Caporegime
There is also a medication that the NHS has that prevents you body storing as much fat, but they really really dont want to use it, I have been told its literally a last resort. I dont know if its due to side effects, or NHS saving money, or ideology (just eat less and move more) , I hope its not the latter.
I'm only opn medication for a week so it's not a big deal, the GP didn't actually mention it just what I saw from my own research of what the drugs do and what the side effects are.

one of them says it increases the risk of catching viruses like the flu etc, he never mentioned that even though we have the covid scourge right now either though so IDK.

I was just suprised that healthy premade food appears to be a total con/scam

Caporegime

Basically 4 drug types iirc that people use for weight loss.

Dinitrophenol type drugs can increase metabolism by about 50% causing large amounts of fat to be burnt, however bad side effect profile including cataracts and potential overdose risk causing a horrible death from hyperthermia. Obviously not used medically today.

Stimulants like amphetamine/methylphenidate strongly suppress appetite, but are highly addictive and tolerance to their effect develops so not really used anymore in the western world for weight loss.

Orlistat stops the body absorbing as much fat from food, fairly benign but can cause gastrointestinal upset, is available on the NHS for weight loss but not massively effective.

Diabetic drugs that cause glucose to be excreted in the urine instead of being stored as fat or glycogen, relatively new so no idea whether it's available for weight loss on the NHS.

Soldato
Basically 4 drug types iirc that people use for weight loss.

Dinitrophenol type drugs can increase metabolism by about 50% causing large amounts of fat to be burnt, however bad side effect profile including cataracts and potential overdose risk causing a horrible death from hyperthermia. Obviously not used medically today.

Stimulants like amphetamine/methylphenidate strongly suppress appetite, but are highly addictive and tolerance to their effect develops so not really used anymore in the western world for weight loss.

Orlistat stops the body absorbing as much fat from food, fairly benign but can cause gastrointestinal upset, is available on the NHS for weight loss but not massively effective.

Diabetic drugs that cause glucose to be excreted in the urine instead of being stored as fat or glycogen, relatively new so no idea whether it's available for weight loss on the NHS.

The third one sounds like what the doctors told me off, I am only eligible after my surgery is done, they literally doing it as a last resort, after dietician plan, after exercise plan and after surgery. The fourth sounds interesting but I guess only for diabetics?

Soldato
Sainsbury’s have got a range of meals called My Goodness. I’ve had the Katsu curry one. I thought it was nice.

Yeah I do use the healthy range from Asda and they taste nice also, but I think the point was they are "healthier" but not necessarily "healthy". I also only eat them once 2-3 days a week at most as my dietician told me to not eat them at all.

Caporegime
Yeah I do use the healthy range from Asda and they taste nice also, but I think the point was they are "healthier" but not necessarily "healthy". I also only eat them once 2-3 days a week at most as my dietician told me to not eat them at all.

Dietitians, what do they know :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom