which vr headset for sim racing?

Associate
At the moment I have a medium sized desk. I attached the wheel as and when I choose to play with it and leave the pedals at the bottom of the desk.

I would prefer something more "planted" as in my chair swivels and it's not ergonomically correct.

Associate
Do you have a sim rig?

The Rift has now started me off with an expensive hobby. I am looking at something like the GT Omega cockpit but I don't know whether to settle with the PlaySeat Challenge as it can easily be folded up and put away.

I have a Logitech G920 with shifter, it was a replacement for the Thrustmaster TMX that arrived with a broken fan. The TMX is the entry level wheel but I did find that the force feedback felt better than the G920. The Logitech G920 does have a nicer finish with faux leather wheel and metal pedal set with clutch.

I'm now mulling over whether to upgrade to the Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition and let the Logitech go on the cheap. If I do that then I will kiss goodbye to touch controllers that I still haven't purchased.

Does anyone here have a sim rig? Could anyone recommend one?

Check out trak racer, I have a RS6 rig and cant fault it. Ive not long got a rift myself, I wouldnt say im totally blown away by it though tbh. Hmmm maybe i was expecting too much.

Most of the time i use a 55" 4k TV with the rig and its impressive. I need to play about more with the rift to see whether to keep it or sell it on.

Associate
Check out trak racer, I have a RS6 rig and cant fault it. Ive not long got a rift myself, I wouldnt say im totally blown away by it though tbh. Hmmm maybe i was expecting too much.

Most of the time i use a 55" 4k TV with the rig and its impressive. I need to play about more with the rift to see whether to keep it or sell it on.
VR needs another generation and a resolution bump. I can see pixels in the Rift, I don't know what it's called but I can see the spaces between the pixels. It's a bit like when you put scan line filters on an 8 bit emulator. Not a problem but it's there nonetheless and obviously you don't have the field of view.

Associate
Yeah definitely. Next generation will be where it's at.

Currently I don't think it's all that. It's good but tbh I think i prefer my triples to VR.

I have just tried raceroom in VR just now and it looked good far better to me than PC2.

Associate
OP
managed to get it working but the steam vr thingy I cant even get it to track the headset.

good points very immersive and the ability to look to the apex and side glances.

bad points so far for me..glasses are a no no as they squash my nose,and the apps in AC seem right 'in your face',not sure how I can make them feel further away or whether the fov needs changing and what to.

now I'm blind as a bat without glasses but I can play it a bit without,look like I'm going to need to less powerful glasses than my reading ones as they over do it in the rift for me.

Soldato
managed to get it working but the steam vr thingy I cant even get it to track the headset.

bad points so far for me..glasses are a no no as they squash my nose,and the apps in AC seem right 'in your face',not sure how I can make them feel further away or whether the fov needs changing and what to.
Did you run room setup in steamvr?

In Ac set screen resolution to 1080p so apps are not off screen.

Associate
OP
yes tried the room setup in steam VR but it wont let me click the next button as it says my rift headset is not on,even tho it is

yes I have the resolution at 1920x1080 is that right?

I also set the pd to 1.5 in the oculus ini in ac folder

Soldato
yes tried the room setup in steam VR but it wont let me click the next button as it says my rift headset is not on,even tho it is

yes I have the resolution at 1920x1080 is that right?

I also set the pd to 1.5 in the oculus ini in ac folder
I found you need to put something in front of the sensor(its just above the lenses) else it goes into sleep mode.

In ac try resetting your view i think its crtl+space bar.

Associate
OP
no its not that,the headset is awake because you can see it in the bottom of the vr screen in steam..just steam wont see it when calibrating it,google shows its a problem with other people too.

yes thankyou I did that and all is good no,going to have to get some of those lenses they do just not sure on strength because my reading glasses are overkill.

Soldato
If you get prescription lenses for your headset then you need to use your distance prescription, as the Rift has a fixed focus of about six feet. I have presbyopia, and I use my distance prescription just fine in the Rift. I recommend the WidmoVR lenses, though others prefer different types.

Soldato
glasses are a no no as they squash my nose
We're all different of course, but imo glasses work just fine with the rift. One thing I forgot to mention is that is I use a rubber band tied to the glasses arms and it goes over the back of my head. I put on the rift over the glasses first, followed by the head straps. The rubber band keeps the glasses in place, even when I take the rift off (pull its headstrap up from the back of my head and the box thing just comes off naturally). Of course lens inserts would be easier still, but they totally not necessary in my opinion.

And yes, distance/driving specs are what you need, not reading glasses. Mine are single vision, but the info about Rift's focusing distance being 2 or 3 meters sounds about right.

Back
Top Bottom